Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The way people preyed he's still a good driver is a bit sad TBH. When people say stroll is shyte, nobody says "Yeah well, stroll would beat you in a race, so, whose shyte".

Without sugar coating it, Kubica was shyte this year. And he's been dumped off the grid because he's not fast enough. And luckily well never have to debate this again because he ain't coming back - that much is for sure. The end.

If only but I'm pretty sure you'll keep harping on about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,936 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It appears he has signed his own F1 exit if this is true, as Perez has a 3 year deal and well, he won't get Baby Stroll's seat.

I think he was invited out of williams and couldn't get a drive with any other team, more then him quitting. I really don't think he dumped them. Didn't he have a 2 year deal originally?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

It appears he has signed his own F1 exit if this is true, as Perez has a 3 year deal and well, he won't get Baby Stroll's seat. @Skipper_G what do you make of this being a Racing Point supporter?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/kubica-leaning-towards-racing-point-deal/

I don't think it will make any substantive difference at all, Kubica hasn't driven the Racing Point car, ever. They can get much more meaningful feedback from Perez. Vastly experienced in the current gen car, and he also happens to be good.

The Strolls get an inordinate amount of stick on here because of the money being put behind Lance, but as a Racing Point fan I'm grateful for them, without them I wouldn't have a team to support. Lance drives really well in races, but his qualy is crap.

pjohnson wrote: »
    If only but I'm pretty sure you'll keep harping on about him.

We'll see if he ever gets a drive again. That will be the end of it if he doesn't. Do you think he is fast enough to get another f1 drive on merit?

But I suspect people will be making excuses for him for time to come. In a couple of no they'll be remembering a decent competitive comeback. Like the way he was remembered as a definite world champion while he was out of the sport

So not the end and the fetish continues :pac:

Argree re. Stroll aswell. His qualy is abysmal and often leaves him with no hope come raceday. His actual raceday is normally good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I liked Kubica and it took lots of guts for him to come back and race in F1 after what happened to him but that is it now so lets just leave it at that.I think hew could do good in maybe WEC, DTM or Formula e but that would have to be next season not the season just started.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

So not the end and the fetish continues :pac:

Argree re. Stroll aswell. His qualy is abysmal and often leaves him with no hope come raceday. His actual raceday is normally good.

Isn't it at least interesting that we can't have an honest appraisal of Kubica's season without people getting upset? And now you're upset for some reason that I'd discuss it at all. Is there a blanket ban on discussing the 2019 season?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

AMKC wrote: »
    I liked Kubica and it took lots of guts for him to come back and race in F1 after what happened to him but that is it now so lets just leave it at that.I think hew could do good in maybe WEC, DTM or Formula e but that would have to be next season not the season just started.

Agreed, his time in F1 is definitely over, there can be no doubt now. He could eek something out as a reserve/development driver, but if I were him, I'd be chasing success in another series.

Just say he was brilliant to come back and don't even mention how his season went and " just leave it at that"?

Isn't it at least Interesting that so many people are so reluctant to even discuss the season he had. It's a bit unreasonable to.expect anyone to "leave it at that" before even mentioning his performance.

Nobody leaves it at that before discussing Stroll's speed. Nobody says "grosjean is good on his day and let's just leave it there". Or "Maldonado is a race winner and let's just leave it at that".

Drivers are complex. Kubica is not just his injury and there's loads to discuss about his and all the driver's performances. It's actually ridiculous to suggest we pick one good aspect of character and ignore everything about his actual season performance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Inviere wrote: »
    Well then it was a very poor choice of words on your part. The term disabled, means not able to do something. He clearly can still race and drive an F1 car...just because he's not at his very best any more hardly means he's disabled. I'd say he has an impairment, that perhaps hampers his potential, but being out of an F1 car for almost a decade was probably a far bigger impairment for Robert. He'd still demolish the vast majority of fans on a track, so you'd have to wonder who's more disabled, him or us...

You're right. Physically impaired would have been a better choice of words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

You're right. Physically impaired would have been a better choice of words.

Apologies if I came across as harsh, it's a topic I guess I'm close to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Inviere wrote: »
    Apologies if I came across as harsh, it's a topic I guess I'm close to :)

No worries. I didn't mean to offend anyone (except Stroll obviously :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

He was testing the BMW M4 in DTM during the week so a switch to that looks likely.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A lot of the discussion about Kubica has been about whether his arm was a factor in his performance this season. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, but either way he was in the slowest car on the grid almost a decade after he last drove F1. The sport has moved on a lot since then and Russell would have come through junior formulas in that time in cars which would probably more closely mirror current F1 design than the last F1 cars Kubica drove do. Sure, the restricted space in the cockpit may have been a limiting factor for his arm, but I think it's simply that he's a bit of a dinosaur in F1 terms now. Obviously Hamilton, Kimi, etc. are part of his generation, but they've been there the whole time as the cars developed so haven't had as steep a learning curve. I think something like touring cars or Le Mans would suit Kubica better at this stage of his career, and I think he could do well in either because ultimately he was always a quick driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So Pirelli won't use the 2020 spec tires due to the teams not liking them.

Can't wait to hear them complain again and again about the 2019 spec...

Racing Points 3 year fundraiser deal with the Breast Cancer Charity has ended so very high chance the pink livery will be gone regardless of any Aston Martin deal.

Alpha Tauri are expected to switch from Toro Rosso blue to a white and black livery.

Personal preference, I'd like to see more yellow on the 2020 Renault.

Racing Points 3 year fundraiser deal with the Breast Cancer Charity has ended so very high chance the pink livery will be gone regardless of any Aston Martin deal.

Alpha Tauri are expected to switch from Toro Rosso blue to a white and black livery.

I thought the pink livery was because of BWT the water company. Their colours are blue and pink and a few other cars in other formula who are sponsored by BWT also have the same livery.

Whoops not everything on reddit is reliable lol.

Coincidence the breast cancer and BWT deals both started in 2017.

Whoops not everything on reddit is reliable lol.

Coincidence the breast cancer and BWT deals both started in 2017.

Must be just coincidence.

Breast cancer is a funny one in F1. Unless they were marketing to men to check for Breast cancer. Or were they just advertising the brand? Can't say I've heard much about it as a sponsor either way so it might not have been a massive success.

Breast cancer is a funny one in F1. Unless they were marketing to men to check for Breast cancer. Or were they just advertising the brand? Can't say I've heard much about it as a sponsor either way so it might not have been a massive success.

What women are involved in and watch F1 aswell?
    Anyway the've done plenty of fundraising and had the logo on the car so thought it was well known link.

https://www.racingpointf1.com/news/2019-sportpesa-racing-point-f1-team-breast-cancer-care-target-achieved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I don't think BWT are title sponsors of racing point for the last year or so.

recyclebin wrote: »
    I don't think BWT are title sponsors of racing point for the last year or so.

They sponsor the engine. Same thing Tag Heuer did with Red Bull until the Honda move. The constructor name last year was Racing Point - BWT Mercedes.

ELhjFTzUEAAotRZ?format=jpg&name=medium

ELhjdk3X0AAAJhL?format=jpg&name=900x900

ELhjdk2XkAAS0gJ?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I await the day that someone successfully makes the switch from 4 wheels to 2 or vice versa. Rossi would’ve done well in the Ferrari.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

I await the day that someone successfully makes the switch from 4 wheels to 2 or vice versa. Rossi would’ve done well in the Ferrari.

It's been done before. John Surtees in the 1960s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

kksaints wrote: »

Aye world champion in both if I am not mistaken! Some man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

kksaints wrote: »

Forgot about him. Modern day would be good!

Doubtful.

He drove the F2008 at a private test, and the next day Massa drove the same car at the same track.
    Rossi lapped Barcelona in 1m 21.9 seconds, in a 2008 car with 2009 tyres. The following day Massa put the performance in context when he went almost three seconds faster, setting a time in the 1m 18s.

Would have been nice to see Rossi in F1, for the name alone. But I am always glad he didn't in the end, I think it would have tarnished his name.

As long as it's not these ****ers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_G._Komen_for_the_Cure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Think they've sponsored Pippa Mann in the Indy 500.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement