Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 College Football Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

eagle eye wrote: »
    TD Notre Dame, on fourth down. Book had to check down. 7-0, it's a really tough defensive game.

Yeah, it's a war. Still see Georgia doing it, but their offense needs to wake up.

ND deserve their lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,482 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Georgia up by 10 now. Plenty of time left but it's hard to see a way back for the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Better team won. Some atmosphere to have to go play in in fairness but fcuk me the penalties were an absolute killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭OldRio

Arkansas v Texas Am.. What a great match.
    Watching Iowa v Baylor at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

North Carolina giving Clemson a run for their money so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Devonta Smith for Alabama has just caught his 5th TD, with 250 receiving yards to go with with.

Still 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

North Carolina went for the two pointer to win it in regular time and didn't convert. Very surprised at Mack Brown doing that.

North Carolina went for the two pointer to win it in regular time and didn't convert. Very surprised at Mack Brown doing that.

Not at all. It was the right call.

But.

The play they ran was a mess. Seriously poor choice.

Nebraska are miles off top level. Having this as the big ABC game was a big mistake.

mooreman09 wrote:
    Not at all. It was the right call.
    I'm not disagreeing, it's the fact it was Mack Brown, I'd have expected him to lock the PAT and take his chances in overtime.

• Advertisement

I'm not disagreeing, it's the fact it was Mack Brown, I'd have expected him to lock the PAT and take his chances in overtime.

I see your point. It was out of character.

Just a real shame they took it on with no real play. Power run up the middle had a better shot than that sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

Between Reggie Bush & Urban Meyer the Fox Big Noon Iowa v Michigan Halftime show has some amount of Wife/Children condoning"beaters" on it.

The football game is good tho.

This must be pretty hard to achieve
    Yeah it was pretty bad.
    Jonathan Taylor having a day for the Badgers, he has 186 yards rushing and 4 TDS, and then four catches for 29 yards and another td.

Yeah it was pretty bad.
    Jonathan Taylor having a day for the Badgers, he has 186 yards rushing and 4 TDS, and then four catches for 29 yards and another td.

I remember the Redskins doing something similar in the pros a few years back. Although they ended up missing a 40-something yard FG instead of punting after having a first and goal from inside the 5.

ESPN's College GameDay coming to Dublin for the ND v Navy game next year.

https://collegefootballireland.com/espn-college-gameday-dublin-ireland/

ESPN's College GameDay coming to Dublin for the ND v Navy game next year.
    I gotta get there for that. Just wanna see Lee Corso live.

Only realised when reading the press release that the game's an evening kick off this time (7pm our time).

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

100,000+ in Neyland & 100,000+ in The U .... what a game!!!

South Carolina really putting it up to Georgia. They lead 17-10 early in the fourth quarter.
    Oklahoma up by 7 in the Red River rivalry game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

College football is so ridiculous. After leading for a good chunk of the game, South Carolina turn over the ball in over time and then miss a short kick to win it. Have to go on the field again straight away. OT rules in college are so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

South Carolina really putting it up to Georgia. They lead 17-10 early in the fourth quarter.
    Oklahoma up by 7 in the Red River rivalry game.
    SC kicker misses from 35 to win the game, laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

SC kicker misses from 35 to win the game, laughable

Having him attempt a near 60 yarder that we has never going to make on their last possession in regular time can't have been good for his confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

How fitting that a missed kick gave SC the win :pac:

Unreal, big shock. Two shocks, Georgia got beat at home and Blankenship missed a field goal.

So how does everyone view the season at the half way point?

At the top end.

Clemson aren't impressing - but I'd imagine they'll take serious beating at the end of the season and will be in the playoff.

Bama look Elite - the Offense is outstanding. The Defense looks their weakness, but that's high level recruiting and tradition and I think they will step up the D with the opposition.

Ohio State - Look impressive. However they haven't gotten out of their comfort zone yet. The Wisconsin game will tell a story.

LSU -Highly impressive, probably the best Offense in the game, the D is a question but like Bama, they might stiffen up as required

Oklahoma - Look great - They should run the table.

Georgia - Look like Dog5hit!

Conference Wise

SEC looks strong - LSU vs Bama could be the biggest game of the season.
    BIG12 looks improved, Oklahoma are elite, Texas are top 10 and the middle pack is improving.
    Big10 looks ok - Ohio State, Wisc and Penn State look good, the rest is a joke though. Michigan are getting worse and the rest of the league looks inept at the top level.
    Pac12 - A lot of parity - doubt a team will finish with 1 conference loss. Exciting games.
    ACC - A sh1tshow. Highly embarrassing standard.

The Heisman

At this point, Burrow is the real leader, followed by Tua/Hurts/Fields. All to play for.

Again, only half way there. In 7 weeks, the above may be complete nonsense.

Illinois v Nebraska announced for Aviva in 2021

mooreman09 wrote:
    Clemson aren't impressing - but I'd imagine they'll take serious beating at the end of the season and will be in the playoff.
    How are Clemson not impressing? They look like the best team to me.
    mooreman09 wrote:
    Bama look Elite - the Offense is outstanding. The Defense looks their weakness, but that's high level recruiting and tradition and I think they will step up the D with the opposition.
    Bama look real good on offense but it's the worst D I've seen from them in many years.
    mooreman09 wrote:
    Ohio State - Look impressive. However they haven't gotten out of their comfort zone yet. The Wisconsin game will tell a story.
    I think they could be better than we think but I think Wisconsin are even better.
    mooreman09 wrote:
    LSU -Highly impressive, probably the best Offense in the game, the D is a question but like Bama, they might stiffen up as required
    LSU, like Alabama, look great on offense but there are many questions about that defense. It's weird to be saying that about those two teams.
    mooreman09 wrote:
    Oklahoma - Look great - They should run the table.
    Yeah, hard to see anybody stopping them.
    mooreman09 wrote:
    Georgia - Look like Dog5hit!
    You are obviously basing this on one game.
    mooreman09 wrote:
    SEC looks strong - LSU vs Bama could be the biggest game of the season. BIG12 looks improved, Oklahoma are elite, Texas are top 10 and the middle pack is improving. Big10 looks ok - Ohio State, Wisc and Penn State look good, the rest is a joke though. Michigan are getting worse and the rest of the league looks inept at the top level. Pac12 - A lot of parity - doubt a team will finish with 1 conference loss. Exciting games. ACC - A sh1tshow. Highly embarrassing standard.
    Big ten looks very strong to me. I don't think I could call it between them and the SEC.
    mooreman09 wrote:
    At this point, Burrow is the real leader, followed by Tua/Hurts/Fields. All to play for.
    I THINK Jonathan Taylor is a serious contender. He ready has 825 rushing yards at 6.1 ypc and 14 tds on the ground and 15 receptions for 136 yards and 4 tds through the air.

How are Clemson not impressing? They look like the best team to me.

Bama look real good on offense but it's the worst D I've seen from them in many years.

I think they could be better than we think but I think Wisconsin are even better.

LSU, like Alabama, look great on offense but there are many questions about that defense. It's weird to be saying that about those two teams.

Yeah, hard to see anybody stopping them.

You are obviously basing this on one game.

Big ten looks very strong to me. I don't think I could call it between them and the SEC.

I THINK Jonathan Taylor is a serious contender. He ready has 825 rushing yards at 6.1 ypc and 14 tds on the ground and 15 receptions for 136 yards and 4 tds through the air.

Ah now, Clemson were blessed to beat North Carolina. They've looked anything but the best team - hence they dropped in the rankings. They are lucky the ACC is pathetic.

Agreed on LSU and Bama's D. But when you're putting up 50 points a game, its ok to ship 28/35 points... At the weekend - LSU scored 42 points against the no1 D in the country. They only had 46 offensive plays, which put serious pressure on their D who was out there for nearly 90 plays. Its all relative, If LSU and Bama were running the ball and controlling the clock like in the past, their D would look completely different. The way they play now, they can afford to give up 5 TDs and be comfortable.

Both teams have 5 star talent on D - which will get them the stops they need.

I like Jonathon Taylor, he's an outrageous back - but to win now you need to be able to throw and run - you can't be one dimensional. That's what will get Wisconsin in the end. They have a chance though, the Ohio State game is their opportunity. I think the BIG10 is down though, the offenses are horrific this year and the West is full of terrible teams.

As for Georgia - look, I like them. I've wanted them to win it all the last few years. However they have no passing game, Fromm has one top receiver, their run game has taken a step back and its hard to hold teams to below 30 points these days. They haven't the firepower needed - that's why South Carolina beat them and why an average Notre Dame team took them into the 4th. They even looked shaky in spots versus Tennessee. I see another loss for Georgia on their schedule, Florida and Mizzou look like tough games now.

• Advertisement

Illinois v Nebraska announced for Aviva in 2021

Good win today for Illinois!

Advertisement