Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Obviously they are dominating football now. But it won't last forever. Kerry have won the last 5 minor championships in a row and Dublin haven't won one since 2012. It's cyclical like most things.
    It will end eventually. Golden crop of players now.

There is nothing cyclical about Dublin's current dominance. The current starting forward line is almost unrecognisable to the one in 2011 or even 2013. Most of their older defenders still have 5 years left in them. Most of the younger players like O'Callaghan, 10. They've also won 4 U21 AIs in the last decade, more than any other county.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

blanch152 wrote: »
    6 different clubs have won this century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Senior_Hurling_Championship

In Tipperary, six different clubs have won this century:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipperary_Senior_Hurling_Championship

Thurles Sarsfields with 8 have been more dominant than Ballyboden with seven.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilkenny_Senior_Hurling_Championship

In Kilkenny it has been seven, with Ballyhale as dominant with seven as Ballyboden in Dublin.

One of the things that most annoys Dublin fans on this forum is the ignorance displayed both about the county team and the clubs within the county. Anyone with a small bit of knowledge about the club hurling scene, or who took five minutes to check wouldn't have posted the above.

If you are going to construct an argument against Dublin, at least get the facts correct, and when it comes to the money, include all the money all of the counties get, and then adjust it per capita.

I think he just genuinely didn't know to be honest .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

In Kilkenny it has been seven, with Ballyhale as dominant with seven as Ballyboden in Dublin.

One of the things that most annoys Dublin fans on this forum is the ignorance displayed both about the county team and the clubs within the county. Anyone with a small bit of knowledge about the club hurling scene, or who took five minutes to check wouldn't have posted the above.

If you are going to construct an argument against Dublin, at least get the facts correct, and when it comes to the money, include all the money all of the counties get, and then adjust it per capita.

In fairness the poster admitted his mistake and lack of knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

As a mainly hurling person, much as it pains me to say it, Dublin will never be one of the top hurling counties.

Game has always been popular and standard has improved as evidenced by clubs, and becoming more competitive at inter county, but football will always be the dominant sport player wise and support wise.

If I was to make a reverse comparison, it would be with Tipp who have had decent underage and senior football teams (far more competitive in fact at underage football than Dublin underage hurlers) but up against a similar dominant culture.

Even dual club senior will become rare. not beyond possibility that Cuala might win senior football before another hurling!

There is nothing cyclical about Dublin's current dominance. The current starting forward line is almost unrecognisable to the one in 2011 or even 2013. Most of their older defenders still have 5 years left in them. Most of the younger players like O'Callaghan, 10. They've also won 4 U21 AIs in the last decade, more than any other county.

There are no other players "like o Callaghan". He like David Clifford is a level above. Saying that did I hear that either the minors or u21s have a superstar in the making full forward?

I wasn't aware of the U21 results. I just looked at minor level.
    Wouldn't all counties line ups be different now than in 2011 or 2013 though? With the exception of the most outstanding players. Ie Tj Reid on Kilkenny's hurling team.

Would you chance the 10 in a row @ 12/1 from the bookies? Put your money where your mouth is.
    If you are right you win a few Bob. Happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Trampas wrote: »
    Why doesn’t barret get a job that’s involves working from home or get a job nearer to Mayo.

Don't really give a **** about this topic, but this is an astoundingly stupid question and shows an incredibly out of touch view of the reality of rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Despite making a complete fool of themselves they feel that the rest of their point stands? They shouldn't post here again after making that much of an arse of themselves.

Ah look this thread is destined to be a car crash from the off full of rants. The guy is obviously out of date with his knowledge and admitted as much. Plenty won’t do that when they’re corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think he just genuinely didn't know to be honest .
    salmocab wrote: »
    In fairness the poster admitted his mistake and lack of knowledge

This is what happens all the time though. Someone with zero knowledge of the Dublin club scene takes off on an ill-informed rant about Dublin's advantages.

99% of the people who talk about Dublin's financial advantages haven't a clue about the amount of activity at underage level in Dublin and the amount of work put into looking after every kid who wants to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

You're level of ignorance is is simply outstanding

Did you read the thread, info is a few years out of date acknowledged and I've clarified why is see they aren't dominant now, they are effectively further along than I thought they were.

Didn't Dublin win a few of the finals by only a point and one after a replay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

At the end of the day it's 15 v 15 on the pitch. It's up to others to catch up with them. Fair play to them, best team ever.

This is what happens all the time though. Someone with zero knowledge of the Dublin club scene takes off on an ill-informed rant about Dublin's advantages.

99% of the people who talk about Dublin's financial advantages haven't a clue about the amount of activity at underage level in Dublin and the amount of work put into looking after every kid who wants to play.

In fairness my info was out of date as opposed to being totally wrong and I've already stated Dublin are incredibly well run as an organisation. Dublin are better resources but also better run, the money isn't being wasted. Tbh I can see Dublin becoming dominant in hurling too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

At the end of the day it's 15 v 15 on the pitch. It's up to others to catch up with them. Fair play to them, best team ever.

The problem with this is that Dublin are in a unique position to perpetuate dominance.

I have already posted the facts in another thread, but here they are again for ease of reference.

From the 21 players that played in the 2015 final, there has only been Bastick, Alan Brogan and Paul Flynn who have left the panel. Two of the unused subs are gone - Brady and Savage - but the other three unused subs are still on the panel, meaning that 21 of the 26 named for the 2015 All-Ireland final are still involved with Dublin.

How many of the Kerry team that played that day will play on the 1st of September? Well, I don’t think we will see Aidan O’Mahony, Brendan Kealy, Fionan Fitzgerald, Jonathon Lyne, Peter Crowley, Anthony Maher, Johnny Buckley, Donncha Walsh, Colm Cooper, James O’Donoghue, Brian Kelly, Kieran Donaghy, Bryan Sheehan, Barry John Keane, Darren O’Sullivan or Paul Galvin, will we? That is 16 of the Kerry 26 in 2015 who I don’t expect to see anywhere near the Kerry 26 on the 1st September (I am happy to be corrected if I have got one wrong).

Apart from the five who I mentioned earlier, three others from the Dublin 26 in 2015 didn’t make the squad last Saturday - Bernard Brogan, Rory O’Carroll and Darren Daly - which meant that remarkably 18 of the 26 who were in the 26-man Dublin squad for the 2015 All-Ireland final were still in the squad last Saturday. Only around 10 of that Kerry squad survive.

If there is one thing that you can say about this Dublin team is that it hasn’t changed anywhere near as quickly or as much as its rivals. That means when the end comes, it will come quickly, as they will have to replace quite a few at the same time.

These are the facts.

To give another example, of the Mayo team that started the 2012 All-Ireland final, there are only five who started last Saturday - Keegan, Vaughan, Boyle, Aidan O'Shea and Cillian O'Connor. All teams evolve. Dublin's team has actually evolved less than any other of the big counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

They did. However, they seem to be more dominant now. Maybe Kerry will beat them, or at least come close, bit I suspect not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Yes, and they are now a level above the level they were at then. They've gone from winning by a point to 10 point annihilation

While Dublin hurling have had some notable successes and also embarrassing collapases, overall the trend is upward since about 2010, in keeping with upward trend across the board in Dublin GAA.

After rapid progress, its levelled off a bit.

But the point is there is now a strong platform to push on further.

Dublin hurling today is light years ahead of where it was 20 years ago.

So if that trend continues where will they be 20 years from now?

Given they have more money, a bigger population and vastly more GDOs than everyone else, its not hard to see them competing and winning hurling AIs on a regular basis.

In fairness my info was out of date as opposed to being totally wrong and I've already stated Dublin are incredibly well run as an organisation. Dublin are better resources but also better run, the money isn't being wasted. Tbh I can see Dublin becoming dominant in hurling too.

Your argument was that only a few hurling clubs in Dublin were in with any chance of being successful and that one club dominated and this was somehow different to elsewhere. When the facts were examined, there was little difference between the Dublin, Tipperary and Kilkenny championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No back door.
    No super 8s.
    More chance of an upset.

Play semi finals away from Croke Park.
    Cant see the GAA moving finals.

Reduce subs to 3.
    After 2 black cards next one is a red or sin bin.
    Basically reduce the squad impact.

These are all back of the envelope tinkering ideas... only one being Dublin football specific.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Tip down to Kilkenny and you will see every young lad with a hurl in his hand all day everyday wherever possible. It's a culture down there. Money might bridge the gap for Dublin bbut the talent isn't there. That is if they continue to receive the same amount of funds long term.

I'm sure it's like that in Dublin only with footballs instead

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    No back door.
    No super 8s.
    More chance of an upset.

Play semi finals away from Croke Park.
    Cant see the GAA moving finals.

Reduce subs to 3.
    After 2 black cards next one is a red or sin bin.
    Basically reduce the squad impact.

These are all back of the envelope tinkering ideas...

Dublin didn't bring on a substitute on Saturday until the game was over and they were 10 points ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Treble double

I don't now, you tell me? Are you trying to deny there's a huge dominance in football or unfair advantages?

Obviously they are dominating football now. But it won't last forever. Kerry have won the last 5 minor championships in a row and Dublin haven't won one since 2012. It's cyclical like most things.
    It will end eventually. Golden crop of players now.
    Spot on, cyclical is the word, there is nothing earth shattering happening here, they have a golden crop of players and the are maximising success with them, fair play to them, but it won't last forever and there is a 50/50 chance they won't get the holy grail of a five in a row.

About the hurling I've said that they were progressing, I got championship record wrong but I've think the rest of my point stand that it's pretty much a time lag on producing hurlers and we'll see Dublin challenging then.

Your argument was that only a few hurling clubs in Dublin were in with any chance of being successful and that one club dominated and this was somehow different to elsewhere. When the facts were examined, there was little difference between the Dublin, Tipperary and Kilkenny championships.

That lines up with the improved championship performance fair enough but was part of a larger part about why they aren't dominant now. My champ info was out of date but the other reasons I gave are valid I think.

Colaiste eoin do still produce a lot of the players for the county team afaik.

Why do you think the footballers are so much better than the hurlers?

I have already posted the facts in another thread, but here they are again for ease of reference.

From the 21 players that played in the 2015 final, there has only been Bastick, Alan Brogan and Paul Flynn who have left the panel. Two of the unused subs are gone - Brady and Savage - but the other three unused subs are still on the panel, meaning that 21 of the 26 named for the 2015 All-Ireland final are still involved with Dublin.

How many of the Kerry team that played that day will play on the 1st of September? Well, I don’t think we will see Aidan O’Mahony, Brendan Kealy, Fionan Fitzgerald, Jonathon Lyne, Peter Crowley, Anthony Maher, Johnny Buckley, Donncha Walsh, Colm Cooper, James O’Donoghue, Brian Kelly, Kieran Donaghy, Bryan Sheehan, Barry John Keane, Darren O’Sullivan or Paul Galvin, will we? That is 16 of the Kerry 26 in 2015 who I don’t expect to see anywhere near the Kerry 26 on the 1st September (I am happy to be corrected if I have got one wrong).

Apart from the five who I mentioned earlier, three others from the Dublin 26 in 2015 didn’t make the squad last Saturday - Bernard Brogan, Rory O’Carroll and Darren Daly - which meant that remarkably 18 of the 26 who were in the 26-man Dublin squad for the 2015 All-Ireland final were still in the squad last Saturday. Only around 10 of that Kerry squad survive.

If there is one thing that you can say about this Dublin team is that it hasn’t changed anywhere near as quickly or as much as its rivals. That means when the end comes, it will come quickly, as they will have to replace quite a few at the same time.

These are the facts.

To give another example, of the Mayo team that started the 2012 All-Ireland final, there are only five who started last Saturday - Keegan, Vaughan, Boyle, Aidan O'Shea and Cillian O'Connor. All teams evolve. Dublin's team has actually evolved less than any other of the big counties.

I see you've included the absolute sham of a game in Omagh in which Bernard Brogan, O'Gara and Connolly featured to make your case. O'Gara and Brogan are not even squad players any more, at least be honest about that. The game in Omagh was a nothing fixture.

I also said clearly the starting forwards in big games these days has no relation to 2011. O'Gara, Brogan, Connolly etc are has beens or no longer starters.

Lets see what the starting line up is for the final and compare it to 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dublin didn't bring on a substitute on Saturday until the game was over and they were 10 points ahead.

More subs then ðŸ˜႒ ?

Theres been a lot of games where the Dublin bench has made a difference. Bigger better squad= better bench.
    In theory.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

The big problem with Dublin's dominance is that it's Dublin who are dominating. Take solace in the knowledge that your grandchildren will be Dublin fans

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Is there any justification for Dublin to receive almost thirteen times what Cork received from ‘07 to ‘18? When the population difference is two and a half times?

Work goes in every county to looking after all kids. You seem to be implying that is unique to Dublin or something.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The big problem with Dublin's dominance is that it's Dublin who are dominating. Take solace in the knowledge that your grandchildren will be Dublin fans

Our grandchildren will have no interest in gaelic football. In fact many Dublin kids today have no interest in gaelic football! Because even they see it as boring and one sided with little competitive interest.

The falling attendences and tv audiences support this. The GAA won't be able to give away tickets to Leinster finals in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,219 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yep 2011 won it against the run of play v Kerry - Kerry pulled up were caught cold momentum shifted

2013 - Although Dublin controlled the game O'Connor's dilly dallying aided Dublin's win

2016 - was delighted with the draw Mayo should defo have won the first game stupid og's keeper mistakes

- in the second game Costello won it with his three points from the bench - thought Dublin deserved it

2017 - if O'connor had got his free instead of hitting the post could easily have been a draw

I honestly cannot see Dublin dominating in five years time.
    The quality coming through is just not the same as Fenton, Mannion, McCarthy, Scully, Kilkenny will be in thier 30's - Cluxton will be gone, Rock will likely be gone 34

Nothing lasts forever and all great teams fade.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Is there any justification for Dublin to receive almost thirteen times what Cork received from ‘07 to ‘18? When the population difference is two and a half times?

Work goes in every county to looking after all kids. You seem to be implying that is unique to Dublin or something.

Is that central funding, self generated or both?

Advertisement