Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

And then onwards to the final where he can beat Djokovic and do his boob throw celebration in front of him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

jr86 wrote: »
    Surely you couldn't write off kyrgios pulling off the upset v Nadal?

Big hitter, fresh grass and what's more he absolutely can't stand Nadal either :D :pac:

Kyrgios usually ends up writing himself off. I see Nadal winning in straight sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ballyargus

"young guns" - they're laughably bad. Hopefully Allissiame can show something

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

ballyargus wrote: »
    "young guns" - they're laughably bad. Hopefully Allissiame can show something

Doesnt seem to find form on clay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

mzungu wrote: »
    Kyrgios usually ends up writing himself off.

Not against the big guns

Their head to head is dead even and Nadal has only beat him once off clay

• Advertisement

Not against the big guns

Their head to head is dead even and Nadal has only beat him once off clay

Hes sacked his "advisors" he's heading for a meltdown trust me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Serena confirmed to to play XD with Murray. Should be entertaining.

Serena confirmed to to play XD with Murray. Should be entertaining.

Surprised with this considering they apparently don't get on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

It's just a stunt. They'll both get great publicity out of it.

Really? I've only ever seen them speak highly of each other
    Rob2D wrote: »
    It's just a stunt. They'll both get great publicity out of it.

Yeah Murray really strikes me as a publicity seeker alright! Anyone would jump at the chance to play with arguably the greatest female player of all time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Floppybits wrote: »
    Muguruza has been knocked out today. You can never predict the women's.

Berdych beaten as well. I see Tomic didn't bother trying against Tsonga and was beaten in 3 sets in under an hour.

Pliskova the one to beat for me.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Some delayed thoughts on yesterday..

Obviously disappointed about Osaka losing, especially to Putintseva, the second worst Putin in the world right now. Difficult to know what's going on with her fully, I wonder would things be different under Bajin or whether this would've happened away. It's one thing not being able to play on clay, a lot of people who grew up playing on hard courts have that problem. But not being able to play on grass too is a major issue that needs sorting. I also find it really odd that she's now having the kind of slump that would usually happen to players after winning their first slam, not their second. She's still crazy young, so lots of time to sort things out, but with her being the defending champion at the next two slams, I wouldn't count on it happening too soon.

With Zverev I'm kinda already at the stage where I no longer expect anything from him at the slams? Like I didn't even check his draw beforehand, such were my low expectations. He's distracted by some off-court legal wrangle right now but these problems were always present. He's become very passive, he certainly played with much more aggression/creativity in his earlier years on tour, but he's simply a grinder now. He can win many slams, but a serious overhaul will be needed.

Amongst all of yesterday's results it almost passed me by that Ostapenko is already out. She's gone as far as she'll ever go now, she'll need to make some radical changes to become a competitive player again. Happy to see Azarenka win, she's not in the worst half of the draw so if she can find some form it'd be nice to see her make a run. I really hope she's got something left in her career, she's still not even 30.

Oh and also pleased to see the Greek edgelord got bumped out in round 1 :cool:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Surprised so many seem to think Kyrgios will be some form of test for Nadal, I see Nadal winning comfortably. He'll drop a set at worst, imo. Kyrgios will obviously be fired up for the match, but so will Nadal. And anyway, all that's coming out from Kyrgios' press conferences recently is how little he's training, staying out till 4am, playing Fifa till 3am etc. If he's not even doing the basics right then surely he doesn't stand a chance against an athlete of Nadal's calibre? I mean he looked quite winded against Thompson at times today. A very rare moment for me, but I'm pretty sure I'll be rooting for Nadal on Thursday.

Yeah Murray really strikes me as a publicity seeker alright! Anyone would jump at the chance to play with arguably the greatest female player of all time

It is. We already know he asked half of the WTA before making a statement that he couldn't find anyone. Only then did someone suggest Serena. He did everything in his power to not play with her but might as well now, at least it'll look good.
    Surprised so many seem to think Kyrgios will be some form of test for Nadal, I see Nadal winning comfortably.

I don't know. Kyrgios is the type of guy who excels when faced with bigger competition. He's so talented that the game by and large bores him. But he wakes up a bit against the big names because it becomes interesting for him again. I think we might see a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

A very rare moment for me, but I'm pretty sure I'll be rooting for Nadal on Thursday.
    It's fine to root against Nick, sport needs it's villains, but - I really don't understand a lot of people saying he's bad for the game. I personally love watching him play and having a go at the likes of Nadal/Djokovic. Makes the sport much more interesting and after Federer retires he's probably the guy I'll root for most, even if he can be an idiot the odd time.

Saying that, did anyone watch Tomic yesterday? I think emo-boy has issues off the tennis court and a fierce sense of self-pity. Watching him not bother to move around the court vs Tsonga, and then smile when he lost, just to show his face to collect the $$$ made me want to punch him in the face. He's the biggest moron on the ATP.

Was disappointed to see Muguruza go out yesterday. A lot of the big hitters on the women's side seem to have problems mentally over the past few years. Lisicki lost in qualifiers here, her form has become non-existent. Ostapenko hasn't done much since people started really noticing her. Bit crestfallen about it because it's my favourite kind of tennis and I support these players.

Speaking of drops in form, where on earth is Laura Robson these days?

Assume she can barely make a living out of the game anymore? What a talent she was when she was younger, goes to show what can happen..

Speaking of drops in form, where on earth is Laura Robson these days?

Assume she can barely make a living out of the game anymore? What a talent she was when she was younger, goes to show what can happen..

She got badly injured I think???

She's had a few injuries and surgeries but she's had an extraordinary amount of failed comebacks at this stage.

I suppose its probably virtually impossible to have the motivation to work your way up from the bottom again. I've seen her do punditry on Wimbledon, she may aswell just stick with that and try and get into coaching/set up an academy or whatever, at this stage

She's probably losing money now heading to events in the back end of nowhere to play to a man and his dog

Another year, another disastrous Wimbledon for Wawrinka

Even the extra week after the FO doesn't seem to have given him any incentive to improve himself on the surface. No semi-final ever for a player of his stature is pretty poor going tbh

Novak has a clear path to the final now. Free wimbledon for him at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Surprised so many seem to think Kyrgios will be some form of test for Nadal, I see Nadal winning comfortably. He'll drop a set at worst, imo. Kyrgios will obviously be fired up for the match, but so will Nadal. And anyway, all that's coming out from Kyrgios' press conferences recently is how little he's training, staying out till 4am, playing Fifa till 3am etc. If he's not even doing the basics right then surely he doesn't stand a chance against an athlete of Nadal's calibre? I mean he looked quite winded against Thompson at times today. A very rare moment for me, but I'm pretty sure I'll be rooting for Nadal on Thursday.

Agreed. The courts this year are really slow which hurts Nick and obviously helps Rafa. I don't think you can turn on a switch just because his opponent is Rafa.

Stan gone to Opelka

Stan gone to Opelka
    Opelka vs Raonic should be a cracker

Opelka vs Raonic should be a cracker

What type of match do you expect?

To be fair I find some of the moaning about servebots at Wimbledon a little boring, not as if the serve is something any mug can master and the very few one dimensional servebots rarely make it to the last week and ultimately win **** all.

I know someone will say "Isner last year" but his game was pretty good last year and it took him years to figure out grass.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    What type of match do you expect?

To be fair I find some of the moaning about servebots at Wimbledon a little boring, not as if the serve is something any mug can master and the very few one dimensional servebots rarely make it to the last week and ultimately win **** all.

I know someone will say "Isner last year" but his game was pretty good last year and it took him years to figure out grass.
    Apart from the servebotting, it's basically that we probably won't see a break of serve all match, and will only be decided by who can serve the best. Not that I mind it, just will be funny and a bit interesting to watch.

Apart from the servebotting, it's basically that we probably won't see a break of serve all match, and will only be decided by who can serve the best. Not that I mind it, just will be funny and a bit interesting to watch.

Maybe not.:)

Isner v Raonic was a five setter at the US open last year and we had zero tie breaks.

Winner probably plays Anderson.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wouldn't Gauff just be out of school? Rikova should just remain patient and turn it into a marathon match and test her overall fitness.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

This girl is too good i think, nerveless, too young for nerves probably.

It's fine to root against Nick, sport needs it's villains, but - I really don't understand a lot of people saying he's bad for the game. I personally love watching him play and having a go at the likes of Nadal/Djokovic. Makes the sport much more interesting and after Federer retires he's probably the guy I'll root for most, even if he can be an idiot the odd time.

I've defended Nick pretty much from the outset, but I think I'm through with him now. How can anyone get invested in him when he freely admits to tanking matches? He can post as many 'deep', 'insightful' Instagram/blog posts as he likes, but it's clearly all talk with no intention of changing. One of the most striking things about him is how he sees himself, referring to himself as "just a kid" on Instagram recently. I mean, he's not old or anything, but he is a 24 year old man now, probably time to grow up a little.

I also find it amazing how he basically completely separated himself from Bernard Tomic, went out of his way to state how different they are, yet his career trajectory and lack of potential fulfilment have been almost the exact same.

Was also reading his responses to journalists after his match against Thompson. He was just being straight up rude and unpleasant mostly. I know journalists can ask a lot of stupid/repetitive questions, but most of the time they're simply trying to do their job. I'm sure there are lots of other players they'd prefer to interview. And through all of this Kyrgios then has the audacity to play the victim, constantly complaining about how the press treat him and comparing his treatment to other players. I mean, does he really lack that much self-awareness? I've rooted for him so hard the last few years, but he can't keep explaining away his behaviour. The reality is, he's just a straight-up c*nt.

• Advertisement

Krygios out in the pub last night!

Advertisement