Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

molloyjh wrote: »
    Anyway, Ulster thread and all that jazz...who would win in a fight? Iain Henderson or a polar bear?

Who'd you rather fight..........100 duck sized Henderson's or 1 Henderson sized duck?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Who'd you rather fight..........100 duck sized Henderson's or 1 Henderson sized duck?

Or more appropriately, 100 Rob Lyttle-sized Hendersons, or 1 Henderson-sized Rob Lyttle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Or more appropriately, 100 Rob Lyttle-sized Hendersons, or 1 Henderson-sized Rob Lyttle?

Erm... 1 Henderson-sized Lyttle. I'd rather that than 1 Lyttle-sized Hendo, who'd still be an astonishing freak and able to break you using just his forefingers.

More pertinently, could we just spray a red hand logo in the polar bear and put him in second row with Hendo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

All that aside, it is ridiculous to say that headbutts are in character for him...

But he did the headbutt. So it is absolutely 100% in his character.
    No one held his head and moved it. It was his brain doing the moving,
    in the heat of the battle yes, but when the pressure comes on that's when the true character of a person comes out.

I feel that's a totally different character trait than a poor technique for a high tackle or badly timed impact.
    Apples and oranges for me.

Lyttle has that farmer strength...bit like the Rea's...

Hopefully lyttle can kick on next year injury free. If he does he would be an outside bet to make the extended 6N squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Lyttle has that farmer strength...bit like the Rea's...

Hopefully lyttle can kick on next year injury free. If he does he would be an outside bet to make the extended 6N squad.

I would agree with this. I think Lyttle has a real chance of getting higher recognition if he stays fit. Whether that's next season or not remains to be seen. Personally I think he is ahead of Balacoune (who is a year younger and less experienced in fairness). In fact I'd say Gilroy will do well to take Lyttle's spot in the team next season.

Thinking in Ireland terms you have Stockdale, Larmour, Earls, Conway and possibly Lowe (I'm assuming Kearney will drop out after the WC), Adam Byrne is improving all the time as well, but Lyttle could be there or thereabouts.

or 1 Henderson-sized Rob Lyttle?

That's a good description of Jacob Stockdale

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    All that aside, it is ridiculous to say that headbutts are in character for him...

But he did the headbutt. So it is absolutely 100% in his character.
    No one held his head and moved it. It was his brain doing the moving,
    in the heat of the battle yes, but when the pressure comes on that's when the true character of a person comes out.

I feel that's a totally different character trait than a poor technique for a high tackle or badly timed impact.
    Apples and oranges for me.

The phrase "in character" would mean normal or expected behavior for that person. It was not normal nor expected behaviour for Ferg, therefore it would be deemed out of character.

I don't disagree with you on the incident in question, how bad it was and how deserving of punishment it is. I disagree that it is something that has been a feature of his career to date. He did something like this in 2016 vs Connacht but that's the only other example of this kind of thing from him. In over 200 professional appearances. Anyway, as already said, this is the Ulster thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Just fwiw as a couple people have mentioned it I think it's very much eh "divided opinion" on whether McFadden's stamp in 2016 was "simply careless". He got an at the time mid range ban for it having hit White's head 3 times in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

ah he isn't the brightest tool in the box is he ? head strap is needed to hold the brain in , doesn't work alot though, a jockstrap might work better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

bilston wrote: »
    I would agree with this. I think Lyttle has a real chance of getting higher recognition if he stays fit. Whether that's next season or not remains to be seen. Personally I think he is ahead of Balacoune (who is a year younger and less experienced in fairness). In fact I'd say Gilroy will do well to take Lyttle's spot in the team next season.

Thinking in Ireland terms you have Stockdale, Larmour, Earls, Conway and possibly Lowe (I'm assuming Kearney will drop out after the WC), Adam Byrne is improving all the time as well, but Lyttle could be there or thereabouts.

Why adding in Lowe? He’s only here 18 months so far?

Why adding in Lowe? He’s only here 18 months so far?

He will qualify in September 2020 I think. So ok, not next season, but the season after.

He will qualify in September 2020 I think. So ok, not next season, but the season after.

November 2020, he arrived late last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Bazzo wrote: »
    Just fwiw as a couple people have mentioned it I think it's very much eh "divided opinion" on whether McFadden's stamp in 2016 was "simply careless". He got an at the time mid range ban for it having hit White's head 3 times in a row.

That’s not pretty at all. Was that 2016? Downright dangerous TBH.

I’ll revise my sentiment. He’s a dirty player without any caveats.

Anyone for the match on Saturday...?

Yep! Can't wait. Nervous, though, especially without Stockcube.

Yep! Can't wait. Nervous, though, especially without Stockcube.

surprised it hasn't sold out yet. Might grab a ticket but will most likely be driving....any news on Best if he's def playing?

• Amazed at the amount of mud slinging in the build up to this game. The Westies over on the Connacht thread have really had some choice remarks for Best, Stockdale or 'Healy-lite' as they like to call him and Pienaar.

At least there has been nothing like that in this thread...

• According to John Cooney, Kieran Marmion is a "big eejit with terrible hair and the worst accent he's ever heard". Good to see some fighting words between the two big lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

According to John Cooney, Kieran Marmion is a "big eejit with terrible hair and the worst accent he's ever heard". Good to see some fighting words between the two big lads.

He's not far wrong though....

• Advertisement

According to John Cooney, Kieran Marmion is a "big eejit with terrible hair and the worst accent he's ever heard". Good to see some fighting words between the two big lads.

Think you meant to post that on the Connacht thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭launish116

ULSTER

(15-9): M Lowry; R Baloucoune, L Marshall, S McCloskey, R Lyttle; B Burns, J Cooney;
    (1-8): E O’Sullivan, R Best (captain), R Kane, I Henderson, K Treadwell, N Timoney, J Murphy, M Coetzee;

Replacements: R Herring, A Warwick, T O’Toole, A O’Connor, S Reidy, D Shanahan, D Cave, A Kernohan.

CONNACHT

(15-9) Tiernan O’Halloran, Stephen Fitzgerald, Tom Farrell, Bundee Aki, Matt Healy, Jack Carty, Kieran Marmion, (1-8) Denis Buckley, Dave Heffernan, Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, Gavin Thornbury, Eoin McKeon, Colby Fainga’a, Jarrad Butler (Capt).

Replacements (16-23): Shane Delahunt, Peter McCabe, Conor Carey, Eoghan Masterson, Paul Boyle, Caolin Blade, Tom Daly, Darragh Leader

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭connachta

It's a 50/50!!

Six weeks for McFadden.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Scythica

So apparently Lealiifano has received an offer from Ireland...

Must be us surely?!

Scythica wrote: »
    So apparently Lealiifano has received an offer from Ireland...

Must be us surely?!

Has Faddes fallen through?

Could be Andy Friend? Didnt Connacht cancel a NIQ contract prior to arrival?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

launish116 wrote: »

Yeah Connacht cancelled Sevu Reece's contract before he arrived, are also light on outhalf depth behind Carty.

launish116 wrote: »

Yeah Connacht cancelled Sevu Reece's contract before he arrived, are also light on outhalf depth behind Carty.

Be interesting to see if he comes back to Ireland. Would be a great edition for any club. Definitelt be happy for him to join us again. Worried about the silence on Faddes.

surprised it hasn't sold out yet. Might grab a ticket but will most likely be driving....any news on Best if he's def playing?

Decent enough crowd in the end. Over 15k for a bank holiday weekend.

• Advertisement

Decent enough crowd in the end. Over 15k for a bank holiday weekend.

From a financial point of view? would these 3 additional play off games add much to the war chest? I'm guessing they weren't considered in the accounts for the years forecast?

Advertisement