Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

dusty bin wrote: »
    Reading the article about Becky on the Irish times site. Didn’t realize she’s related to fidelma from glenroe.

Any other wrestlers with famous relations?

Sasha Banks and Snoop Dogg are I think, cousins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

dusty bin wrote:
    Any other wrestlers with famous relations?

I believe that Charlotte flair is Ric Flair's daughter
    But I might be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

What is the logic for running wwe network ads on... The wwe network?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    What is the logic for running wwe network ads on... The wwe network?

For anyone streaming it illegally to be swayed into buying it would be my guess.

It's not working on me though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So they did something different on UpUpDownDown recently by going bowling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,409 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    So they did something different on UpUpDownDown recently by going bowling.
    They did and I don’t know but Billie Kay and big E are potentially more than friends.

Also is there anything cesaro isn’t good at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    They did and I don’t know but Billie Kay and big E are potentially more than friends.

Also is there anything cesaro isn’t good at ?

He's great at bowling, and throwing axes..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

watching the new WWE untold Sting on the network

Sounded like it was The Rock vs Triple H and Taker vs Sting (A taker fued was top of Stings list apperently) at Mania 31 but The Rocks schedule did not allow him to have a match and It became Sting vs Triple H instead. The Story of the Taker vs Sting would of been amazing but egos came in the way in a bit cause Sting mentioned he wanted to do somethng with Triple H

one of those things but tbh it was a decent match and spectable between him and Triple H

The way it is now we could still see Taker vs Sting in Saudi Arabia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Just looking at some of the HoF pictures....for a supposed women's revolution I've never seen more plastic on display. What on earth is Charlotte playing at?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Just looking at some of the HoF pictures....for a supposed women's revolution I've never seen more plastic on display. What on earth is Charlotte playing at?

Fandom is weird sometimes. Wrestlers are allowed make their own decisions on what to do with their own bodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

leggo wrote: »
    Wrestlers are allowed make their own decisions on what to do with their own bodies.
    Yeah? And? People are allowed to comment on those decisions.

Fandom is weird sometimes. Wrestlers are allowed make their own decisions on what to do with their own bodies.

Yeah they are of course. But she's a young woman who is increasingly beginning to look like some of the horror shows twice her age in Hollywood desperately trying to hold onto their looks. It's sad to me that she thinks she has to do that.

But she's not the only one either on their books that is at it. That is my bigger concern and makes me wonder what kind of atmosphere they are fostering.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The concern would be to what extent it's really their decision

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah? And? People are allowed to comment on those decisions.

I mean...in the same sense you're 'allowed' make unsolicited comments to random people you come across in the street and everyday life too. You're 'allowed' in that nobody can stop you, but doing so still makes you a bit of a knob. I'm sure if someone dissected your own physical appearance within an inch of its life for no particular reason, the fact that they were 'allowed' to do so would be little comfort to you.
    Yeah they are of course. But she's a young woman who is increasingly beginning to look like some of the horror shows twice her age in Hollywood desperately trying to hold onto their looks. It's sad to me that she thinks she has to do that.

But she's not the only one either on their books that is at it. That is my bigger concern and makes me wonder what kind of atmosphere they are fostering.

But you're basing all of your assumptions there, by your own admission, on one picture you saw of her at the HOF. You've literally zero idea of the motivation behind any work you think she has had done. So basically you've made up a story in your head to justify commenting on another person's physical appearance and are dressing it up as concern for their wellbeing without a shred of evidence.
    The concern would be to what extent it's really their decision

Again a TOTAL assumption on your part there. You can't even be 100% certain that any procedures even took place, but now you're leaping to "Vince McMahon might be telling them to get loads of plastic surgery." Again, just a story you made up in your own head to give yourself a stick to beat someone you dislike.

But you're basing all of your assumptions there, by your own admission, on one picture you saw of her at the HOF. You've literally zero idea of the motivation behind any work you think she has had done. So basically you've made up a story in your head to justify commenting on another person's physical appearance and are dressing it up as concern for their wellbeing without a shred of evidence.

I'm actually a big fan of Charlotte so it's nothing to do with a vendetta or wanting to have a dig at her. I'm on record here stating I would have been happy for to win at Mania. However, she's a role model to many young women yet she's increasingly beginning to resemble one of those living dolls in her early 30s. I feel it's important to call that out.

If you want to claim that it's an assumption she has gotten work done that's ok but given her own best friend has incorporated the surgeries into her promos I can think I can say confidently enough that they took place.

Now if you want to continue being disingenuous while alluding to some sort of misogyny/sexism on my part that's cool but I don't think there's much of a point in continuing the discussion if your angle is to pretend she hasn't gotten extensive work done on her face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I mean...in the same sense you're 'allowed' make unsolicited comments to random people you come across in the street and everyday life too. You're 'allowed' in that nobody can stop you, but doing so still makes you a bit of a knob.
    So? Again, you're allowed to be a knob. What exactly was the point of you telling people "wrestlers are allowed make their own decisions on what to do with their own bodies", like people aren't aware of that fact. Who cares.
    leggo wrote:
    I'm sure if someone dissected your own physical appearance within an inch of its life for no particular reason, the fact that they were 'allowed' to do so would be little comfort to you.
    I'd be mortified. I'd probably run out and get plastic surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Comments section of The Journal's article on Becky...

2y1brh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

There’s a thread over on the After Hours section congratulating Finn and Becky on WM and most of the comments are as you’d expect from people who just like to crap all over wrestling. I’ve heard it all personally for over years and generally keep my fandom to myself

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

TimesArrow wrote: »
    There’s a thread over on the After Hours section congratulating Finn and Becky on WM and most of the comments are as you’d expect from people who just like to crap all over wrestling. I’ve heard it all personally for over years and generally keep my fandom to myself

Starting a wrestling thread on After Hours is like lighting a match at a gastroenteritis convention.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

nazmoalex wrote: »
    Starting a wrestling thread on After Hours is like lighting a match at a gastroenteritis convention.

Try posting about Christmas in there anytime outside December :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

After Hours is a pit of misery and bitterness. The dregs of Boards.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

TimesArrow wrote:

Ah yeah I couldn't stay out of it myself. But AH certainly isn't a place to post a feel good thread on basically anything tbh.
    That it's being discussed is in itself an achievement imo. I pay no heed to the haters, I got the same smart arse stuff from my mates this morning as usual after Mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Whenever anybody says anything bad about wrestling I have my usual things to tell them why they’re mostly wrong

But also when people tell me they like like Love Island or the Kardashians I’d be looking down my nose same as a lot do at wrestling, ignorance is bliss and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

They just have finn come out and challenge the demon. Play it as two seperate personas. Finn fighting all along calling out the demon and being ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I tend to avoid After Hours for the reasons already mentioned but having read the thread it's a glimpse into what the wider general public does think about wrestling. There was a time when I think it would be viewed with less hostility.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I tend to avoid After Hours for the reasons already mentioned but having read the thread it's a glimpse into what the wider general public does think about wrestling. There was a time when I think it would be viewed with less hostility.

I think it's any topic tbh these days. Internet in general is just full of a lot of bitter people unhappy about literally everything in life, or at least that's the image they portray online.

Like I get being annoyed about certain aspects or topics at different times, but there are a large group of folks with a chip on their shoulder about absolutely everything.

It's an odd way to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Necro wrote: »
    Ah yeah I couldn't stay out of it myself. But AH certainly isn't a place to post a feel good thread on basically anything tbh.
    That it's being discussed is in itself an achievement imo. I pay no heed to the haters, I got the same smart arse stuff from my mates this morning as usual after Mania.

I saw that. there really is no point getting involved in that. toxic hostile environment on those AH threads

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Vince and co will be wondering why all his champs are volunteering to be on the Money in the Bank preshow or just give up their slot to someone else altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

In just under 10 years since Sheamus made is debut on the main roster (June '09) Irish wrestlers have has some decade in the WWE.

The groundbreaking Sheamus,

1 X King of Ring.

1 X Royal Rumble winner.

1 X Money in the Bank winner.

2 X US Champion.

5 X Tag champion 1 X RAW & 4 X Smackdown.

1 X World Heavyweight Champion.

3 X WWE Champion.

Finn Balor,

2 X Intercontinental champion.

1 X Universal Champion.

Becky Lynch,

1 X Womens Royal Rumble.

3 X Smackdown Women's Champion.

1 X Raw Women's Champion.

1 X headliner of Wrestlemania.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭dusty bin

In just under 10 years since Sheamus made is debut on the main roster (June '09) Irish wrestlers have has some decade in the WWE.

The groundbreaking Sheamus,

1 X King of Ring.

1 X Royal Rumble winner.

1 X Money in the Bank winner.

2 X US Champion.

5 X Tag champion 1 X RAW & 4 X Smackdown.

1 X World Heavyweight Champion.

3 X WWE Champion.

Finn Balor,

2 X Intercontinental champion.

1 X Universal Champion.

Becky Lynch,

1 X Womens Royal Rumble.

3 X Smackdown Women's Champion.

1 X Raw Women's Champion.

1 X headliner of Wrestlemania.

Within the whole of the wwe, I would also include Finn's reign as NXT Champion (Is he still the longest reigning champion?).

Did Killian Dain ever win the tag titles in Nxt? Cant remember.

Advertisement