Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

a148pro wrote: »
    WOULD YOU STAY WITHIN YOUR 5K I'M BLUE IN THE FACE SAYING IT
    Did you misread Weepsie's post or did you forget to add a smiley?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I'm going for the smiley option myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's a disgrace, all these lads on Strava racing in Watopia — sure that doesn't even sound like it's within Ireland never mind within their 5km!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Only the super cool among us get jokes without smileys

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

those cycling apps are so realistic it's actually now possible to spread the virus through them. only supported on IPv6, using multicast protocols.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Microsoft fecks my laptop if I update Windows 10 (nearly always turns the touch screen back on which has a terrible phantom touch problem) so I am forever rolling back updates.

So I probably would cause an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I'm usually banging another drum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I went for a spin around the park. Stayed on the road, might as well have been on the M50 with all the traffic and the speed of it

Are you referring to the Phoenix Park? Was there from 3.00 till about 4.45 and didn't think there was much traffic. On the perimeter the busiest section was probably between the Chapelizod Gate and the roundabout at the Dog Pond. The temperature was a bigger problem and had dropped from 5 to a bit above 1 degree by the time I baled out.

Are you referring to the Phoenix Park? Was there from 3.00 till about 4.45 and didn't think there was much traffic. On the perimeter the busiest section was probably between the Chapelizod Gate and the roundabout at the Dog Pond. The temperature was a bigger problem and had dropped from 5 to a bit above 1 degree by the time I baled out.

I was down around the Furry Glen at about 2 and I had more close passes at speed in that part alone than I'd have in a month on the quays

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Emmet stagg left his 5k?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Weepsie wrote: »
    Was going to head to the park with the spike tyre but figured it would be muddy rather than firm and not arsed washing the bike.

Joined up to Road Grand Tours premium and loaded up my virtual sally gap to blessington route and did it for the first time earlier.

The route also has Wicklow gap and 1/2 military road but I was only trying it out.

Could do with a bit of smoothing, but was pretty good. 35 virtual Wicklow km

Have to give that a blast. Missing the mooching around the Military road mightily at this point so even the virtual experience would be welcome.

30kms done on the road, mostly within 5k of the house, enjoyable enough.

Dying to do a nice 100k spin as soon as we're allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

a148pro wrote: »

Another thing I'd love to know is what weather conditions lead to really good sunsets. Ambiance if you cycle into mountains leading into that time is super.

I find if it's been pissing rain earlier in the day and it's cleared up before sunset, you're usually in for a treat.

26k over lunch taking Dundrum and Firhouse in my 5km zone as something different to my usual Cruagh / Stocking lane loop. Pretty dull stuff, cycling around the burbs is really not my thing, though will probably explore all the local roads in a bit more detail before this lockdown lifts.

35k at 27kph around lunch time today. Good to get out, but getting fairly sick of doing loops of the same area. Nearly got cleaned out of it by a postman who drove straight out of a house without looking. Gave him the evil eye, he overtook me, stopped about 50 yard ahead in the middle of the road and left his door open so I couldn't pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Is the door still on the van did he pick it up off the road?

Just for giggles, you should have took the keys, locked the door, and gone about your business :D

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Is the door still on the van did he pick it up off the road?

Just for giggles, you should have took the keys, locked the door, and gone about your business :D

I was in a good mood so I just closed his door and ploughed on. It was a fairly petty thing to do though, especially as I always try my best not cause any issues on the road. Karma will get him some day.

Roads around Drogheda were absolutely filthy today, and the pot holes and flaws in the roads I know like the back of my hand didn't fare too well from the recent frost and ice and will be logging a few on fix my street. Some have cause loads of little stones to be cast over the road.

The wagon for unblocking the drains must have been out too with a road sweeper in tow as I could see the signs and the places the road sweeper didn't make it to which meant there was all kinds of rubbish over the entire lane .

No problem I was on the beater bike (hybrid) with it's nice mud guards, but that doesn't protect me from being covered in a fine mist of filth from passing traffic. Didn't notice till I got home after 25km of loops that I was covered from head to foot in road cast off. Construction work with trucks not washing wheels or cleaning roads is another one I'll be making a complaint about too.

I've the gear soaking and the bike washed.

My partner took the kids out for a walk earlier and they arrived back in with spray from the road on their cloths too and they were walking on the footpaths ffs and had a bus or two and some trucks pass them.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Nope

Another spin up Stocking lane again at lunch today and a second half loop cutting across Mt Venus. Really mild, but starting to feel a bit too like ground hog day. Think I might take the ice tyres off at the weekend as it feels like they're sucking all the joy out of my spins at the moment. 22k with 470 of up and not much else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Out today for 42km at 26.5 km/h, with 240m of up.
    Ground was very damp and mucky , both myself and the bike needed a good shower straight after. Temperature was very pleasant, no need for base layers, just bib tights and my Galibier foul weather jacket, which both got washed today too!!!

Drimnagh to Tallaght, Knocklyon, Terenure, Rathmines, City Centre, down the quays and into the Pheonix Park for two laps, then home. Did the park anti clockwise, it might be my imagination, but is that easier/faster than clockwise?

There was a slight shower of hazy rain, but within 5 minutes of washing the bike, the heavens opened, thankfully, I timed that well.

So glad that I got out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Plastik

sharingan wrote: »
    NOPE

You ain't seen nothing yet. Few tasty treats along there. Some lovely climbs if you drop down any of the hills to your right towards or after Glounthane. Some lovely cycling roads Glanmire - Knockraha - Watergrasshill also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Out today for 42km at 26.5 km/h, with 240m of up.
    Ground was very damp and mucky , both myself and the bike needed a good shower straight after. Temperature was very pleasant, no need for base layers, just bib tights and my Galibier foul weather jacket, which both got washed today too!!!
    Drimnagh to Tallaght, Knocklyon, Terenure, Rathmines, City Centre, down the quays and into the Pheonix Park for two laps, then home. Did the park anti clockwise, it might be my imagination, but is that easier/faster than clockwise?
    There was a slight shower of hazy rain, but within 5 minutes of washing the bike, the heavens opened, thankfully, I timed that well.

So glad that I got out today.

Yeah the park is easier anti-clockwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CramCycle wrote: »
    MOD VOICE: I don't want to be the thought police, so don't make me. If you go over the 5km limit, even just slightly, just keep it to yourself at the minute. This isn't a discussion on the rights or wrongs, it is me asking for no one to give me a headache because whatever your views (and I have had such a sh1t year, I don't actually f*ck*ng care anymore), it will be reported and does appear, even if unintentionally, like you are sh1tting on people who are following the rules. I appreciate that you probably are not, great, but if you want a discussion on it, I will happily do it via PM, but not here.

What happened to this or has the 5km limit been secretly removed?

Which post prompted you to query this?

sharingan wrote: »
    NOPE

Welcome to Cork. Not too familiar with that side but you won't be stuck for hill around the city, that's for sure. Within my 5k, I have 18 per cent and 22 per cent climbs. Enjoy!

Aborted lunchtime spin yesterday. Managed to damage the front deraileur somehow and didn't make it any further than 5k. Didn't have a multitool on me as it was meant to be a very quick spin so, tail between my legs, I had call my wife to come and pick me up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: I don;t actively look at this thread, please report if you have an issue.

Going forward, it is a straight ban for anyone blatantly advertising them taking the piss with the 5km radius. Some people I have edited possibly were in their 5km. I don't have time to go around google maps and double check, so apologies if I have inappropriately deleted yours, drop me a PM and I will unedit it.

I was just admiring wheel01's 5km precision!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I was just admiring wheel01's 5km precision!

Mea Cupla, edited based on rough approximations, reedited to be unedited.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement