Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Premiership Rugby 2020-2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Looks like PRL has backed. £110m 3 year deal.

https://twitter.com/MikePullen1969/status/1339242264938360832

Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I was listening to Brian Moore's podcast earlier and this was mentioned.
    Apparently there were no others interested in the rights.

You do wonder though who CVC have in mind re a broadcaster. Are Sky keeping their powder dry until the right opportunity comes along to tie all the CVC investments into one tv deal.

The pandemic wouldn't have helped and the concussion issue may be frightening some away .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sky are basically done with Northern Hemisphere rugby. Aside from the Lions they have no more NH rights left. Arguably this could have been foreseen right back to when they moved from numbered to genre based channels back in 2017 and there was no room for a Sky Sports Rugby. There won’t be any tying PRL and ProXX into a single deal for now - PRL now tied up to 2024. What happens with Pro14 will be interesting as I expect that unless Premier Sports get both ROI and U.K. rights this time round they will probably bail.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,951 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Very watchable game this afternoon between quins and Bristol.

Quins winning 9 - 5 at half time.
    Lam basically told his lads that if they don't want to play rugby just get back out onto the bus and they'll go home.

Bristol currently winning 12 - 27 with the TBP.
    Adeolukun with the last try.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Burkie1203 wrote: »

They are actually orders of magnitude worse

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Podge_irl wrote: »
    They are actually orders of magnitude worse

Saracens upset people through their off field, rugby related activity such as breaking the salary cap whilst signing star players. It was always a means to an end in their unrelenting pursuit of success.

Exeter's indiscretions have little to do with rugby. Their comments/behaviour on Covid has been ridiculous, actually harming their chance of success and now we see their official account post nonsense like the above.

Saracens were hard to like but they were generally quite conscious of their public image and managed it carefully.

Exeter are becoming the Millwall of rugby. People don't like us and we don't care etc. They appear to be doubling down on their behaviour rather than trying to repair any damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    Saracens upset people through their off field, rugby related activity such as breaking the salary cap whilst signing star players. It was always a means to an end in their unrelenting pursuit of success.

Exeter's indiscretions have little to do with rugby. Their comments/behaviour on Covid has been ridiculous, actually harming their chance of success and now we see their official account post nonsense like the above.

Saracens were hard to like but they were generally quite conscious of their public image and managed it carefully.

Exeter are becoming the Millwall of rugby. People don't like us and we don't care etc. They appear to be doubling down on their behaviour rather than trying to repair any damage.

Saracens offered fans money back if Gavin Henson, an ex-player, scored against them.

And they had the "fat lady" singing of course at a match...

So they're not exactly masters of managing their public image!

Saracens offered fans money back if Gavin Henson, an ex-player, scored against them.

And they had the "fat lady" singing of course at a match...

So they're not exactly masters of managing their public image!

Fair call on the Henson situation. That was pretty poor taste!

I wouldn't equate those to the Chiefs behaviour of late but I suppose I'll need to revise my opinion on Saracens PR team!

• Advertisement

Saracens had a few PR blunders. The Henson thing, the fat lady, the drowning out travelling support with music over the tanoy etc. But most of that was a good few years ago and they seemed to really clean their act up since AFAIK. What Exeter are at is def far worse. Its almost like someone has to take on the mantle of dickheads now that Saracens are going or something. Either that or they tired of the respect that many others had for them so decided to torpedo it. Its just bizarre. And incredibly amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

molloyjh wrote: »
    But most of that was a good few years ago and they seemed to really clean their act up since AFAIK.

Well, there was that one repeated thing - bit minor really - that happened there lately... you might have heard of it.

But yeah. Exeter really have burnt through so much goodwill in such a short period of time and don't really show signs of stopping.

Well, there was that one repeated thing - bit minor really - that happened there lately... you might have heard of it.

But yeah. Exeter really have burnt through so much goodwill in such a short period of time and don't really show signs of stopping.

Ah yeah, there was that too. But I was focusing on the PR side of the house there.

Exeter are pissed off Eddie Jones doesn't know who they are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Exeter are pissed off Eddie Jones doesn't know who they are

“If someone is mad at me i must be doing something right!!!”

nah you’re just a bunch of arseholes mate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

While I am sure it is happening behind closed doors in assessments, I think the organising bodies are going to have to come out to comment on how refs are getting this spectacularly wrong too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

Watching the Bristol Exeter game. Byrne has been very reliable with his darts. Watched him a fair but this season and always reliable. Wonder will we see him back home in a bit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

conor678 wrote: »
    Watching the Bristol Exeter game. Byrne has been very reliable with his darts. Watched him a fair but this season and always reliable. Wonder will we see him back home in a bit

I always felt the Byrne twins were underrated and undervalued at Leinster. Ed has gone on to earn a few Irish caps since Bryan left for Bristol and he wasn’t even the better of the brothers. We have dire problems at 2 and keeping on Cronin or bringing back Bryan is one solution. We have a few coming through the academy one in particular forget his name but it might be a year or two too soon for him to shore up our problems at 2. I would like to see the consummate professional and hard worker Bryan come back to plug a hole and possibly even stake a claim for the jersey outright.

Quins - Irish playing out a cracker here

Irish down 15 - 27 with 15 to go are now 27 all in the red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Cracking game! Draw was best result here.

Would have been a very Irish win in the closing minutes if the penalty went over given SPB won it after Jackson had already knocked over the sideline conversion a minute beforehand.

Would have been an incredible finish for LI to score 10 points in 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Harlequins are a bit like Arsenal - lots of talent in their squad but infuriating to watch at times. They should have closed that game out. However I'm glad LI got a draw.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Paul Gustard given the boot from Quins.

https://twitter.com/Nik_Simon88/status/1351893940820205568

Interesting news about Quinn's. Can't say I am overly shocked. Very hot and cold team and there's been many hints at unrest there and a poor culture.

Wonder will.Nick Evans step in for the rest of the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Seems like the rats are deserting the Quin's ship.... Chris Ashton going to Worcester immediately for the rest of the season

Bristol are absolutely hockeying Bath.

For all thier history and decent players Bath have been poor for years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Shocked, a hooker leaves Ireland and all of a sudden can throw into a lineout... I wonder what the common denominator is in all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Shocked, a hooker leaves Ireland and all of a sudden can throw into a lineout... I wonder what the common denominator is in all this.

and that is?

• Advertisement

bayern wrote: »
    and that is?

Must be he's playing professional rugby now.....

Advertisement