Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SMACKDOWN LIVE SUPERTHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Loughc wrote: »
    Ah come on interference of not Owens still looks weak and like a chump. He is not relevant in the slightest. Vince doesn’t see him as a star. He’s there to put over Reigns as a big deal nothing more.

The Rumble is a nothing match. The endgame is to get Reigns to Mania as champ. Clear as day. There’s no threat and therefore no suspense to that title match.

So if the endgame is mania, why bother doing title matches at all? Reigns should just do a brock and vanish for 2 months.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So if the endgame is mania, why bother doing title matches at all? Reigns should just do a brock and vanish for 2 months.

Im all for him having title matches but not Owens that program is done. What’s the point in extending it when Owens isn’t going to get his win back?

Give Nakamura the shot instead try and elevate someone else for a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭ThePott

Ah come on interference or not Owens still looks weak and like a chump. He is not relevant in the slightest. Vince doesn’t see him as a star. He’s there to put over Reigns as a big deal nothing more.
    The Rumble is a nothing match. The endgame is to get Reigns to Mania as champ. Clear as day. There’s no threat and therefore no suspense to that title match.
    Again my point wasn't about booking. It's obvious Roman is retaining, that's clear in most title feuds nowadays. My point is that ignoring the interference to fit the narrative is ridiculous.

Criticising booking is one thing, there's plenty to criticise but ignoring the way something is booked and then criticising the booking is stupid. I don't think there's been suspense in the WWE title picture since Roman got the title full stop. Is there anyone that is a credible threat to him right now? Not really, they should have a decent challenger booked to face him, all I'm saying is Owens isn't as weak as you're suggesting and the current booking supports that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I'm giving Smackdown a go to get some kind of feel for this company going into Royal Rumble. I've got stuff to say about the opening promo but the ladies opening tag is a mess that you don't see very often in mainstream wrestling. I'm no Charlotte hater but she was abysmal here, awful positioning, clunky offence, just a complete mess and the camera cuts were laughably bad. At some stage how that company produces wrestling has to change because it's jarring and uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Gave it a go. The biggest takeaway having not watched a full weekly show in ages is that they've basically done away with wrestling matches on their weekly TV. Every match was under 10 minutes, only 1 match was longer than 5 minutes. Basically every match aside from the opening tag lasted about as long as the entrances, had a couple spots and then the finish. Pro wrestling you can consume with a phone in your hand the entire time. I don't need (or even want) 20 minute plus 4 star matches every week on TV wrestling but this is way too far the other way.

The other takeaways were way too many long promo segments and far too many replays (sometimes of the same thing on the same show).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,910 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Daniel Bryan could actually win the rumble but not confident if he's doing the 'i'm going to win it' promo tuff

Bianca is not winning the women's rumble this year anyway. Bayley could end up costing her (if she is eliminated before her etc)

Crazy main event there with guys just appearing randomly.

Braunnnnnn is back and my god he is jakked

Sure the fact RAW guys are all over the place is probably a gripe but the brawl and mult-man tag was fun and definitely got me pumped for the Rumble. Roman/Owens segment was really good. Pretty strong Smackdown overall, it's been really consistent lately. I think if Braun was going to win it they wouldn't have had him here but who knows.

So Tamina or Natalya are going to be 30 in the Women's Rumble, Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭hynesie08

ThePott wrote: »
    Sure the fact RAW guys are all over the place is probably a gripe but the brawl and mult-man tag was fun and definitely got me pumped for the Rumble. Roman/Owens segment was really good. Pretty strong Smackdown overall, it's been really consistent lately. I think if Braun was going to win it they wouldn't have had him here but who knows.

So Tamina or Natalya are going to be 30 in the Women's Rumble, Jesus

I'd be OK if the loser wasn't in the rumble full stop, none of one and the least amount of the other.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was like a tag match with rumble type entries. Seemed Smackdown realised how many upper card guys they had outside of roman and Drew and decided to use as many as they could. Whatever about Rumble, they have their Elimination chamber contenders in there.

I noticed Sonya pocketed the money without telling E his number. She's not so slow.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Crazy main event there with guys just appearing randomly.

Braunnnnnn is back and my god he is jakked

Braun's return would have been better at the RR and is he not a Raw guy since the draft?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

I think Braun is possibly the person in the company who needs a major character makeover the most... he looks great and all, but there is nothing to the character. I’d keep him silent for the most part and have him paired with a charismatic manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Smackdown was fun, nothing amazing but nothing really awful which is an improvement. Still not pumped for the Rumble but it was a decent show.

When was the last time Smackdown aired without anyone posting?

At least Edge acknowledges the existence of NXT. Maybe Bianca just fears Io.

Does Sasha sound different these days? And is she playing more to her sexy side, with the Reginald seduction last week and the "rear" comment this week?

So looks like they're dragging out both feuds longer with Sasha/Carmella and Reigns/Owens.
    After TLC, Cage and Last Man Standing matches, the feud still isn't over.

Was that the first time Bianca has used the hair whip on the main roster?

Cesaro still getting that push.

Seeing Corbin vs Dominick for the few seconds before fast forwarding reminded me of Cutler's release and how he and Blake stopped appearing with Corbin quick enough.

I just didn't think it was a noteworthy enough Smackdown to comment tbh.
    Cesaro vs. Bryan was good, would have liked to see it go longer. Guessing Cesaro is getting a bit of a push as he's signed a new contract or going to sign, probably won't last.

I'm sure Bianca has used the hair whip before just can't remember, I know she's used it in Rumbles and Battle Royales while she was still technically in NXT. It's funny they're not even entertaining her challenging anyone but Sasha. I'm okay with that anyway, Sasha is the match to make in my opinion and we don't need both Rumble winners doing the tour of the brands really. Although I'm sure she'll pop up over the next few weeks.

The Street Profits 'commentary' was a serious earache took me out of the match all together.
    Please don't go back to an Owens feud, guessing he'll be in the Chamber if that's what they're building to but another mach after a Last Man Standing makes no sense at all. Corbin/Mysterio feud is death too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I thought the first Reigns promo was shocking tbh. The big bad heel crying like a baby that Edge hasn't acknowledged him yet. Boring. End promo was better but tbh Owens just took away from it imo. Jey Uso pacing like he needed the bathroom was also bloody irritating.

Reginald is annoying and I don't get the use of him in this Bianca stuff at all. Gotta keep her busy till Mania I guess with... sighs... Car-fooking-Mella.

Bryan/Cesaro was a great match but on a throwaway Smackdown just feels like a waste. No idea what they're doing with the mild Cesaro push and Bryan fist bump, probably nothing knowing WWE.

Rest was meh, fast forwarded the tag match because I don't get Otis whatsoever and the commentary as above was stupid.

This Rumble choice stuff is so overdone though, and yet I bet they'll drag it out till after Elimination Chamber. What more is left to do now that Edge has been on all three brands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Necro wrote: »
    I thought the first Reigns promo was shocking tbh. The big bad heel crying like a baby that Edge hasn't acknowledged him yet. Boring. End promo was better but tbh Owens just took away from it imo. Jey Uso pacing like he needed the bathroom was also bloody irritating.

Reginald is annoying and I don't get the use of him in this Bianca stuff at all. Gotta keep her busy till Mania I guess with... sighs... Car-fooking-Mella.

Bryan/Cesaro was a great match but on a throwaway Smackdown just feels like a waste. No idea what they're doing with the mild Cesaro push and Bryan fist bump, probably nothing knowing WWE.

Rest was meh, fast forwarded the tag match because I don't get Otis whatsoever and the commentary as above was stupid.

This Rumble choice stuff is so overdone though, and yet I bet they'll drag it out till after Elimination Chamber. What more is left to do now that Edge has been on all three brands?
    I'd say if you won the national lottery you'd complain it wasn't the euromillions...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'd say if you won the national lottery you'd complain it wasn't the euromillions...

Nope, my posts since Rumble have been relatively positive actually I just didn't enjoy Smackdown at all tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Alternatively what positives can you take from that episode of Smackdown?

Main reason I want Bianca to challenge Asuka is to stop Charlotte challenging her at Mania. Though they would probably then make it a triple threat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Alternatively what positives can you take from that episode of Smackdown?
    don't think Bryan and Cesaro could pull off a bad match, intercontinental match was good, street profits commentary was very annoying I must say

• Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Didn't even know Roode and Ziggler were a team, nevermind tag team champions.

That Hogan segment was fairly pointless

Apollo as a heel could work

Hoping Edge chooses Reigns, the KO vs Reigns feud will never end

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Smackdown was a decent show this week.

I was ok with the opening Reigns Promo, just the WWE presentation takes away from it.

Loved Bryan and Cesaro. It was short but very enjoyable and Ive enjoyed how Nakamura, Cesaro and Bryan have been oresented in recent weeks.

The Street Profits are in my good books, enjoy them as a team but that picture in picture commentary was awful. Dont care about Roode and Ziggler so I dont care about this feud. Ziggker is such a good wrestler and he can talk and cut a promo but for whatever reason I just hate him. Hes got no soul, I dont believe anything he says or does.

Triple threat was good. I love the slow tease turn for Apollo, esoecially the recent taking smack segments with Heyman. Hope this loss is the catalyst for a heel turn.

Edge..... please just pick Roman and be done with it. Roman and Jey vs Edge and Christian at Fastlane please.

Please no more Kevin v Roman.... it already over stayed its welcome, just have Owens move on.

What will they do with Bayley now, arguably the best heel on Smackdown. Seems she will spin her wheels until Mania.

Sasha seems to be turning heel and Reginald will be better used with her. Carmella needs to exit this feud but I suspect she will feud with Belair until Mania.

A decent show for WWE but still loads to make you switch off

Is that Bianca's real hair, wow some length

Why was Carmella out, she lost again

What show is Rhea on?

Seth Rollins returns tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

It's too soon for him to slowly turn face off of becky to take on reigns, so who will he go for

• Advertisement
Advertisement