Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 College Football Thread

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ohio need to stay in this now already.

Ohio need to stay in this now already.

Delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Entertaining first quarter anyway, Smith looks so good.

Any opinions on Spencer Rattler of the Sooners, Junior Patrick Mahomes?

He came across as quite arrogant in the QB1: Beyond the Lights documentary a few years back but what hotshot young QB isn't? Did quite well this year despite the two early defeats and he's one I'll be keeping an eye on, mainly because of the documentary (like Jake Fromm before him).

Fields is struggling badly, could ruin the game as a contest.

Edit: And we're level again after a massive play by the defense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Targeting call on Alabama, I'm not sure if the game is any better for this rule, but everything now is replay and soft penalties, if the defender didn't go for the hit, it was an easy completion, stupid rule in my book, even though the way the Ohio St defence is playing maybe tackling has been outlawed

I think a flat out ejection is very harsh. He did lower his head and made contact with the face mask so the penalty is there but some sort of sin bin punishment would sit better with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jaded Walker

This is a great game but Bama just starting to stretch it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Smith should be number 1 draft pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

That should be that. Not sure what the concept was there defensively, (asking the linebacker to follow Smith from the slot) but it does not auger well

• Advertisement

This is all over, it's a bit of a joke this college football, try and hype it up every year, but it's Alabama heading for 7 wins in 13 years. Opposing teams always **** the bag against them

Surrender flag has gone up here a bit. Running on 2nd & 20, didn't even force a timeout from Alabama due to the injury. unlucky.

Will stay up for 3rd Quarter but another TD for Alabama and it's lights out. Hard see Ohio getting back into it anyway

Kicker on the sideline practicing his extra points

Smith has 12 catches for 215 yards and 3 TDs...at half time.

Devonta Smith 12 receptions for 215 yards and 3 touchdowns. Insane.
    Najee Harris 11 rushes for 45 yards and a touchdown and 5 receptions for 66 yards and a touchdown.
    That leaves Mac Jones with 25 completions from 30 attempts for 342 yards and 4 touchdowns.
    Those three will all be successful at the next level I think.

This is all over, it's a bit of a joke this college football, try and hype it up every year, but it's Alabama heading for 7 wins in 13 years. Opposing teams always **** the bag against them

It's up to other programs to put the right people in place and beat them.
    An example of that would be UCLA who brought in Chip Kelly. While you haven't seen much yet it's quite clear it's starting to turn and they'll be a powerhouse in a few years time. Texas A&M hiring Jimbo Fisher is another program doing the right thing and I'm confident they'll get there at some stage soon.
    Pete Carroll did it at USC. Swinney has done it at Clemson.
    Ryan Day is s young head coach with a big program, how he responds to this over the next two years will tell us how good he is and I think he's really good.
    Most kids want to go to Alabama because they are winning and because they see Julio Jones, Amari Cooper, Derrick Henry, Josh Jacobs, Landon Collins, CJ Mosley and Minkah Fitzpatrick among others being hugely successful in the NFL. It's up to other programs to replicate that success. Nobody else to blame but themselves if it doesn't happen.

I don't know how many times I've thought it was 2 & 21 when i glanced at the screen...that stupid 2021 logo

It's up to other programs to put the right people in place and beat them.
    An example of that would be UCLA who brought in Chip Kelly. While you haven't seen much yet it's quite clear it's starting to turn and they'll be a powerhouse in a few years time. Texas A&M hiring Jimbo Fisher is another program doing the right thing and I'm confident they'll get there at some stage soon.
    Pete Carroll did it at USC. Swinney has done it at Clemson.
    Ryan Day is s young head coach with a big program, how he responds to this over the next two years will tell us how good he is and I think he's really good.
    Most kids want to go to Alabama because they are winning and because they see Julio Jones, Amari Cooper, Derrick Henry, Josh Jacobs, Landon Collins, CJ Mosley and Minkah Fitzpatrick among others being hugely successful in the NFL. It's up to other programs to replicate that success. Nobody else to blame but themselves if it doesn't happen.
    I agree with lots of that, but I'm not talking about Derrick Henry or Julio Jones, or Mark Ingram, or recruitment, I'm wondering why Ohio St forgot how to play, they haven't tackled anybody in the game yet.

38-24 now, but this defense has played badly, about 300 yards after contact, was 389 total in the first half, and I think it's 460 now, so heading for 600+

• Advertisement

it's worth having Smith out there as a decoy, whether he can catch the ball or not.

Comfortable in the end for Saban's seventh National Championship, didn't even need Smith in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Was just reading that any recruit who enrolled at Alabama in the last 14 years and stayed for 3 years would have won at least 1 National Championship. Some won 2, and some even won 3.

No end of their dominance in sight with a recruiting pitch like that, not to mention they can say they'll have another dozen or so players drafted this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Was just reading that any recruit who enrolled at Alabama in the last 14 years and stayed for 3 years would have won at least 1 National Championship. Some won 2, and some even won 3.

No end of their dominance in sight with a recruiting pitch like that, not to mention they can say they'll have another dozen or so players drafted this year.

Can't disagree,but it's unreal how Bama continue to churn out first round draft picks year after year. It's one thing recruiting the top high school prospects but coaching them to constantly replace first rounders both on offence and defence and continuing to win National Championships given the level of competition of all of the other massive programs is some going.

Managed to visit Auburn,Tuscaloosa,Baton Rouge and Austin on a road trip ( Off Season unfortunately ) a couple of years ago and to say that it's a religion in these cities is waaaaay understating things. Particularly with Auburn and Tuscaloosa,where there's not much else going on.

Just on the game itself,some of Sarkisian's play calls for Smith were outrageously simple but ingenious. Disappointed to see him moving on but hopefully the new man will have the pedigree of a Kiffin or a Daboll and hopefully he will do a good job at Texas.

Roll Tide :D:D

Just on the game itself,some of Sarkisian's play calls for Smith were outrageously simple but ingenious. Disappointed to see him moving on but hopefully the new man will have the pedigree of a Kiffin or a Daboll and hopefully he will do a good job at Texas.

And on the flipside, I'm happy he's going to Texas :D

Advertisement