Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insomnia?/Tips for good sleep

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Diet, exercise, no uppers, read novel, cuddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

I used cherry juice last night.knocked me out.hope it lasts.but i also used that blue light blocker on pc.iam not home on phone now can't remember the name of it.

I also turned off pc and lights an hour before bed.just sat relaxed in dark and didn't use phone to read.

I want to replace my bedside light bulb.what colour would be best?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

I used cherry juice last night.knocked me out.hope it lasts.but i also used that blue light blocker on pc.iam not home on phone now can't remember the name of it.

I also turned off pc and lights an hour before bed.just sat relaxed in dark and didn't use phone to read.

I want to replace my bedside light bulb.what colour would be best?

Red or orange.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Red or orange.
    Thanks.. don't seem to be available only online

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

In my desperation today I read a book from start to finish. The effortless sleep method.

• Advertisement

In my desperation today I read a book from start to finish. The effortless sleep method.
    what is the approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I have to say - I’m ruining my eyesight with bluescreen use in these lockdowns. Barely used the phone aNd didn’t use the PC at all yesterday - read all day instead and got a solid 6 hours sleep for change. FELT really relaxed too. There’s something in this no screen thing - it definately works.

I have to say - I’m ruining my eyesight with bluescreen use in these lockdowns. Barely used the phone aNd didn’t use the PC at all yesterday - read all day instead and got a solid 6 hours sleep for change. FELT really relaxed too. There’s something in this no screen thing - it definately works.

Use this app for Windows and Android. It blocks blue light.
    https://justgetflux.com/

what is the approach?

A lot of it was the usual sleep hygiene stuff u read elsewhere. She listed 12 rules that she's developed to cure insomnia. I suppose key points were bed is for sleep and sex thats it nothing else, if u can't sleep after 20 min or so get up leave the room. Break the association between the bed and lying there tortured. Another key rule was to try and change your mindset to a more positive outlook. Its worth a read for anyone thats suffering badly. I personally have only ever experienced the odd sleepless night, what she mentions event insomnia. If I've something important on the next day I'd struggle to get even 5 min sleep. But it has manifested into full now insomnia the last two weeks. Without getting too personal I've had a very stressful 4 or 5 weeks, a build up of a few things including a death to name one, so its all come to ahead I guess. I went 4 continuous nights without sleep, took a benzo and slept the 5th night then another sleepless night the 6th night. Im not a fan of taking pills but I was desperate and worried that a 5th night would drive me insane. Anyway the book is well worth a read, im gonna give her program a go.

A lot of it was the usual sleep hygiene stuff u read elsewhere. She listed 12 rules that she's developed to cure insomnia. I suppose key points were bed is for sleep and sex thats it nothing else, if u can't sleep after 20 min or so get up leave the room. Break the association between the bed and lying there tortured. Another key rule was to try and change your mindset to a more positive outlook. Its worth a read for anyone thats suffering badly. I personally have only ever experienced the odd sleepless night, what she mentions event insomnia. If I've something important on the next day I'd struggle to get even 5 min sleep. But it has manifested into full blown insomnia the last two weeks. Without getting too personal I've had a very stressful 4 or 5 weeks, a build up of a few things including a death to name one, so its all come to ahead I guess. I went 4 continuous nights without sleep, took a benzo and slept the 5th night then another sleepless night the 6th night. Im not a fan of taking pills but I was desperate and worried that a 5th night would drive me insane. Anyway the book is well worth a read, im gonna give her program a go.
    I am not very impressed with that book. The one by Dr Guy https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sleep-Book-Well-Every-Night/dp/1409149102 seems slightly better but it is padded out with some silly story of someone's experience

• Advertisement

I am not very impressed with that book. The one by Dr Guy https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sleep-Book-Well-Every-Night/dp/1409149102 seems slightly better but it is padded out with some silly story of someone's experience
    Hi, if u don't mind, where did you buy the cherry juice and is there a particular type? Thanks

Hi, if u don't mind, where did you buy the cherry juice and is there a particular type? Thanks
    Just saw your post now

The product is https://www.natureshealthbox.co.uk/active-edge-cherryactive-concentrate-cherry-juice-946ml

I got i a healthfood shop i cannot recall name. Mine was 12 euro a smaller bottle . Holland & Barret do a brand too

Anyway it worked great first night when i had not slept the night before.OK the second night and no sleep last night. It seems the search goes on. I am seriously thinking of parking up in some woodland and sleeping in car or at least staying in it, so fed up of walking around house

Just saw your post now

The product is https://www.natureshealthbox.co.uk/active-edge-cherryactive-concentrate-cherry-juice-946ml

I got i a healthfood shop i cannot recall name. Mine was 12 euro a smaller bottle . Holland & Barret do a brand too

Anyway it worked great first night when i had not slept the night before.OK the second night and no sleep last night. It seems the search goes on. I am seriously thinking of parking up in some woodland and sleeping in car or at least staying in it, so fed up of walking around house

It's awful, I feel your pain. It really annoys me reading some of the older insomnia threads on boards to hear people making a joke of it. One OP was desperate and even mentioned being suicidal at times and the replies were mostly good but two or three people had a great time belittling the guys problem. Anyway this fellas youtube channel is quite, goodhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_tdQDMQon0CfD0xAbZPNDg
    I think worrying about sleep is the main problem for a lot off people. .

It's awful, I feel your pain. It really annoys me reading some of the older insomnia threads on boards to hear people making a joke of it. One OP was desperate and even mentioned being suicidal at times and the replies were mostly good but two or three people had a great time belittling the guys problem. Anyway this fellas youtube channel is quite, goodhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_tdQDMQon0CfD0xAbZPNDg
    I think worrying about sleep is the main problem for a lot off people. .
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sleep-Book-Well-Every-Night/dp/1409149102 goes into that a bit and says, and it is my experience that people fall asleep when they think no point trying as the night is ruined. Sometimes a lot actually i go to sleep about 6.30 am and then my alarm goes at 7 and wakes e again but sometimes i have slept through it like yesterday, i think it was, I slept till 1 PM from about 6.30 AM. It is easy to say not to try though

I wonder if my rhythm is reversed i often hoover at night two rooms at 9 PM Tuesday night . I have found for few night wine knocked me out but no effect lasts. ialso tried the sleep twinings tea and it worked at first
    https://www.amazon.com/Twinings-Sleep-Tea-Bags-pack/dp/B017J06OKI/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=twinings+sleep+tea&qid=1606511945&sr=8-1

I do not have much faith is cbt or mindfullness

Over the counter drowsy anti histamines are brilliant like Piriton or others with similar ingredients. Take the lowest dose possible and see how it works for you. Totally non addictive, and then zzzzz
    A pharmacist told me that since covid doctors are prescribing huge amounts of antihistamines for sleep.I don't like them they make me feel very strange. Tonight i am making bed on couch in the living room

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Tonight i am making bed on couch in the living room
    Yo kelly. Couch works for me. Turn on TV. Bored. Falls as asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Jeff88448

I find this tea brilliant for sleep.

https://littlecollinscbd.com/products/sleepy-hemp-cbd-tea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I create a fictional world. I suppose it's a bit like a story or a passage in a novel. Setting a scene rather than a start middle and end.

I have a couple of themes that I often return to. Usually there's a lot of detail. Sights sounds smells sensations. Breathing can be part of it, not as explicit as a meditation.

I can describe my character and those around me. More often than not almost nothing is happening, I'm just describing.

I've done this for over 15 years. In normal busy life this gets me asleep quickly. In stressful times it stops me doing the inefficient ineffective thinking thing.

I've recently been going through treatment for serious long term illness which has messed up my sleep for countless reasons. My narrative thing helps me stay relaxed in bed for hours without getting stressed about not sleeping.

I've done the mindfulness app ones, I like them too. They're a good way for me to mix it up. Mine are more personal I suppose, like a half memory or you know when you read a book and imagine extra bits about characters in the world you create. It's important for me not to have any real people in it though.

You never know what you've got till its gone. I took sleep for granted for years, then due to stress all of a sudden terrible insomnia. Two or even three nights and not a wink. Walking dead the next day, taking a Benzo worked but after reading about how addictive they are and to be honest you don't get a proper sleep on them, I stopped taking them, you cant live your life dependent on a pill for sleep.

I read a few books on CBTI, put my smart watch on and started running/walking in the park everyday for about 5k. I was always a healthy eater but went overboard with this recently, zero sugar. One cup of tea and one cup of coffee in the morning and thats it for the day. Dinner around 5pm and no food or drinks after that bar a sip of water.

When I couldn't sleep after 30 min I get out of bed and downstairs to the living room, and repeat this 3 or even 4 times a night to break the association with being tortured in bed. Slowly I started getting a few hours sleep every night and this made a big difference. The first night I slept right through for 7 hours was an amazing feeling. Im almost back to normal now, I think the biggest issue is changing your mindset regarding the bed and no sleep and tortured tossing and turning and getting up after 20 min or half an hour and do something, I played an audiobook by Richard Dawkins, something about his voice that calms me, and when you feel tired again go back to bet and repeat. I only had this problem for a couple of months I really feel for people that suffer with it for years or decades.

Fathom wrote: »
    Yo kelly. Couch works for me. Turn on TV. Bored. Falls as asleep.
    Didn't work for me.I didn't sleep that night but i went to bed at 7 am the next morning and slept till 4pm and stayed in bed till 9PM sleeping/dozing.Got upate.watched film till 2 back to bed slept again sleeping pretty OK since

• Advertisement

Yo Kelly. Whatever works. We are on COVID stay-at-home orders. Unless essential. So odd hours work here too. Me essential? My work is in grey area. So I go in when boss calls. Makes my hours flexible.

Fathom wrote: »
    Yo Kelly. Whatever works. We are on COVID stay-at-home orders. Unless essential. So odd hours work here too. Me essential? My work is in grey area. So I go in when boss calls. Makes my hours flexible.
    I am sleeping good again. I think the night awake on the couch reset my sleep pattern. I have the blue light blocker too on the computer and phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Bend both hands down as far as they go, very relaxing effect, have even noticed my dog doing it in his bed.

Went to my doc and he suggested I tried Melatonin. Wow what a difference, knocks me out and not one side effect, no grogginess the next day. I know I'm only supposed to take them for a few weeks but they've Been fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Went to my doc and he suggested I tried Melatonin. Wow what a difference, knocks me out and not one side effect, no grogginess the next day. I know I'm only supposed to take them for a few weeks but they've Been fantastic.

Can you simply buy it over the counter?

wally1990 wrote: »
    Can you simply buy it over the counter?

Prescription only afaik. Maybe you can purchase online.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

el diablo wrote: »
    Prescription only afaik. Maybe you can purchase online.

Yes prescription only if we ever get back to Spain you can buy it over the counter there without prescription

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Have this problem myself. Anyone here try CBD oil ? thinking about using it....

Have this problem myself. Anyone here try CBD oil ? thinking about using it....

Tried CBD but it did absolutely nothing for me.

• Advertisement

I find 5htp quite good..

Advertisement