Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you recommend a wetsuit please

Options
  • 06-11-2020 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I live in blackrock in Dublin so beside the sea. I want to do more sea swimming year round and potentially do an Ironman comp in the next year.

Can you recommend a suit for me please?

I have mates recommending me suits but they are like 300 quid which I think is overkill for what I'm doing , all I want to do is be able to swim year round and potentially take part in Ironman next year.

I don't want to buy a piece of crap so I'm happy to spend a bit but 300 seems ott... But maybe I am wrong

Thanks
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Goose81 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I live in blackrock in Dublin so beside the sea. I want to do more sea swimming year round and potentially do an Ironman comp in the next year.

Can you recommend a suit for me please?

I have mates recommending me suits but they are like 300 quid which I think is overkill for what I'm doing , all I want to do is be able to swim year round and potentially take part in Ironman next year.

I don't want to buy a piece of crap so I'm happy to spend a bit but 300 seems ott... But maybe I am wrong

Thanks
    Dave

Wetsuits for tri can cost up to €700, €300 would be a reasonable entry level suit.

What I would recommend for your two use cases is getting a decathlon or some bargain basement suit for year round swimming. Why? Because the higher end competition may have less insulation than you may want for winter sea swimming and the higher end competition ones can be fragile.

So get the cheapo one. See will you actually do an Ironman. See will you train for it. See do you lose weight in the training which would mean anything you buy now will not fit. And then if you have done the training, and the races are on next year, and your body shape stabilises then get the expensive suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

nobody can reccomend you and wetstuit without knowing nothing

unless you are a seal you will also need thick neoprene hood gloves and socks
    i am getting in about 2 to 2.5 k in this setup at the moment more on the skinny normal side

see if you find a foor classic suit they are aobut 140 euro and i saw one on ebay 2nd hand the other day
    and the orca s6 and s7 are also quite ok and aobut 160 to 220 euro
    both suits have a lot of neoprene for the price espcially if you find a 2014 15 s6 suit
    and for winter swiming the thicker the better.
    at the end its about fit so i would ask your friends to wear their suits and see what fits you different brands fit differently.

Advertisement