Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Inexpensive or expensive rackets

• 08-09-2019 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭

I've been playing tennis for the last year or so. Well actually I haven't been playing but practicing against a wall outdoors and sneaking into the local school tennis court in the evenings to practice my serve. I do intend to join a club some day.

Anyway, I started off with a €30 Head raquet that lasted about 3 months before the string broke, then a better one by Wilson in Sports Direct (€40 discounted from €70) that lasted 2 months before something went in the handle which caused it to wobble slightly and another few months before the strings snapped. I bought another one of those and the exact same thing happened with the handle after only a few weeks, and shortly after that I let it slip out of my hand and the frame crumbled when it hit the ground.

So now I'm using Wilson's hightest rated inexpensive racket (€30). I'm wondering if I should invest in a more expensive racket that might last longer or should I just stick with what seems to be a fairly okay budget one and expect to replace it every few months?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You should get some lessons, and then get some advice from the coach. You may not be hitting the ball correctly which is causing the racquets to break. If it’s only a string broken get the racquet restrung. As you get better you can increase the quality of the racquets you buy.

although it's not easy to do it's best to get into a position to try out different rackets and string combinations when you get to the more expensive ones - they can feel very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭traco

As said get a few lessons and try the coaches racquet to get a feel for a higher end one.

A good racket for a high end player playing a few times a week will last a year or two. Strings will go regularly but the frame unless damaged will hold shape and strength for a considerable amount of time.

Try a few and get a second hand one on ebay. Pay attention to the weight as that's a personal preference.

This is just an example but you should be able to pick up a high end used racket for under €100, coaches regularly sell theirs also. All mine have been used either from a coach or via ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Babolat-Pure-Drive-Team-Tennis-Racket-Grip-2-New-Restring/113893383715?hash=item1a84931e23:g:tqUAAOSwjY5dgkNE

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Weight isn't just a personal preference, its what will cause elbow or shoulder problems if its not right. That and the grip size need to be right. That example is a heavy stiff racquet and will probably be totally unsuitable for a beginner. Too many people getting cast offs or cheap racquets and wondering why they can't hit a ball properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭traco

whiterebel wrote: »
    Weight isn't just a personal preference, its what will cause elbow or shoulder problems if its not right. That and the grip size need to be right. That example is a heavy stiff racquet and will probably be totally unsuitable for a beginner. Too many people getting cast offs or cheap racquets and wondering why they can't hit a ball properly.

Agree - that's why the OP should get a lesson and try the coaches racket, maybe join a clinic and try some other peoples.

Alternatively he could go to JC Tennis on the Malahide road, he is very knowledgeable on all things racket and strings and would set the OP right without costing a fortune.

I only posted that one as an example of what is available as opposed to the new price of which would be around €200ish. Chances are a decent coach could have a lot of used or older ones that might suit or could be tried.

I would also suggest stop hitting against a wall as that will only take him so far. As the OP has spent a year on the sport si far it seems like they are committed so the best investment that could be made now in some lessons and start playing.

OP - Where are you based? That might help in pointing you in the right direction for a club or coaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

AllForIt wrote: »
    I've been playing tennis for the last year or so. Well actually I haven't been playing but practicing against a wall outdoors and sneaking into the local school tennis court in the evenings to practice my serve. I do intend to join a club some day.

Anyway, I started off with a €30 Head raquet that lasted about 3 months before the string broke, then a better one by Wilson in Sports Direct (€40 discounted from €70) that lasted 2 months before something went in the handle which caused it to wobble slightly and another few months before the strings snapped. I bought another one of those and the exact same thing happened with the handle after only a few weeks, and shortly after that I let it slip out of my hand and the frame crumbled when it hit the ground.

So now I'm using Wilson's hightest rated inexpensive racket (€30). I'm wondering if I should invest in a more expensive racket that might last longer or should I just stick with what seems to be a fairly okay budget one and expect to replace it every few months?

When i used to play, I would change the strings every 3 - 4 weeks, unless they broke by then.

The strings in any racket are usually poor no matter how much you spend on a racket. I would replace the strings in a new racket straight away.

As for a racket crumbling after hitting the ground I would like to see that. I would of had graphite ones and let them bounce off the ground regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Lots of tennis rackets come with no string and just like squash it seems most get the original strings cut out and restrung before using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

traco wrote: »
    As said get a few lessons and try the coaches racquet to get a feel for a higher end one.

A good racket for a high end player playing a few times a week will last a year or two. Strings will go regularly but the frame unless damaged will hold shape and strength for a considerable amount of time.

Try a few and get a second hand one on ebay. Pay attention to the weight as that's a personal preference.

This is just an example but you should be able to pick up a high end used racket for under €100, coaches regularly sell theirs also. All mine have been used either from a coach or via ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Babolat-Pure-Drive-Team-Tennis-Racket-Grip-2-New-Restring/113893383715?hash=item1a84931e23:g:tqUAAOSwjY5dgkNE

Hi traco, soz I haven't checked back here for a while.

I love your suggestion, it's exactly the sort of way I'd do things with my 'gadgets', rather than just splashing out money on things without knowing what I'm doing.
    traco wrote: »

Alternatively he could go to JC Tennis on the Malahide road, he is very knowledgeable on all things racket and strings and would set the OP right without costing a fortune.

OP - Where are you based? That might help in pointing you in the right direction for a club or coaching.

I'm in Mayo. There is an indoor club here but never been! I'm sure they do some coaching. I've been putting off joining because I intend to move from here hopefully soon, that's why I'm still on the wall !

whiterebel wrote: »

I have tendinitis in my elbows that came about from weight lifting before I ever picked up a racket. I've noticed the different rackets I've used have a different effect on it. The current racket I have is the worst. I've been practicing hitting the ball without any tension in my arm which I think it's what's your supposed to do anyway, which seems to help, when hitting anyway, whatever about afterwards.

As for a racket crumbling after hitting the ground I would like to see that. I would of had graphite ones and let them bounce off the ground regularly

I was surprised the Wilson one broke so easily. It wasn't their rock bottom budget one but clearly not one a regular player would use from what I've been seeing suggested here.

Edit: I don't know why I haven't thrown this out!
    20191003-000843.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I was surprised the Wilson one broke so easily. It wasn't their rock bottom budget one but clearly not one a regular player would use from what I've been seeing suggested here.

20191003-000843.jpg

Never liked Wilson :) Was always a Dunlop racket player

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

20191003-000843.jpg

This is the weirdest thread ever. From the blatant lie in the original post to the awful advice.
    There’s absolutely no way anyone could do that to a racket unless they set out to. You’ve even unraveled the strings!

shutup wrote: »
    This is the weirdest thread ever. From the blatant lie in the original post to the awful advice.
    There’s absolutely no way anyone could do that to a racket unless they set out to. You’ve even unraveled the strings!

Finally I've been found out. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

I have tried both expensive and inexpensive rackets for tennis and squash and honestly speaking, there is a big difference between their manufacturing material. If we talk about the swiftness and power, then cheap ones have a two-piece bridge that could be good for juniors, but for professional players, it is better to use a one-piece bridge that comes in one unit. This one-piece feature helps to swing the racket with great ease.

On the other hand, either you are finding a squash racket from here via reviews or willing to get a tennis racket, the material used for manufacturing also tells the quality. Yes, inexpensive junior level rackets are mostly made up of alloys, but the professional rackets come with carbon fibre or high-quality graphite.

I am saying the low price rackets would be a bad option, but it depends. If you are looking a racket for a newbie or a junior player, then go with a cheap option but if you are going to use it for professional games then, of course, expensive rackets would be the option. You can get more difference here.

You can get more difference here.

Useful article thanks. I didn't know about the one/two piece thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Welcome :)

Advertisement