Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tomatoes outdoors

• 23-05-2019 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Can tomato plants be grown outdoors in Ireland
    Any tips?
    I bought 3 plants and they are currently in the kitchen
    I do not have a polytunnel
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

i had a few plants growing last year outside, mainly for the kids to help and enjoy the growing aspect. we did get a good few tomatoes but nothing spectacular.
    Our dog decided to take a fancy to them and eat them when nobody was looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Any tips?
    Thanks

If you can get them backed up against a south facing wall it will be their best chance. Keep watered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭macraignil

Any tips?
    Thanks

Yes they can.
    They normally like a longer summer than we get so having mature plants at the start of the summer makes your chances of getting a crop better.
    Determinate or bush varieties are what I have used to get a crop out doors before as they do not need support and pruning like the indeterminate types.
    Smaller cherry tomatoes have a better chance of getting ripe before the weather turns too cold.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Can they be moved after starting then in a growbag outdoors?

I've a batch too big for the tiny plastic greenhouse and the greenhouse i ordered four weeks ago has at least another two weeks before it turns up *grumble*

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

Thanks for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Any ones that don’t ripen in time use to make chutney

Advertisement