Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bridesmaid Issues

• 02-05-2019 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm getting married later this year and one of the bridesmaids is refusing to wear any jewellery, whereas the other bridesmaids are open to anything. Do you think she will look silly next to the other bridesmaids? It's not something I want to make a big issue of but at the same time it's on my mind. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

If you're going for a totally uniform look, you could just ask them all not to wear jewellery ... but honestly, I don't think it's something anyone will notice one way or another. To answer your question, she certainly won't look "silly" if she's the only one not wearing jewellery.

It's not going to detract from your day but I can never understand this nonsense of Bride's maids refusing simple things. Either row in behind the bride (understanding that you are a glorified extra and not the centre of attention, for once) or decline the request to be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Why on earth would you want to dictate whether she wears jewellery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

Hey guys, I'm getting married later this year and one of the bridesmaids is refusing to wear any jewellery, whereas the other bridesmaids are open to anything. Do you think she will look silly next to the other bridesmaids? It's not something I want to make a big issue of but at the same time it's on my mind. Thanks.

Yawn

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Do you think she will look silly next to the other bridesmaids?

No. NOBODY will notice. It's really a non-issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

woodchuck wrote: »
    No. NOBODY will notice. It's really a non-issue.

One of the many things that energy and money is wasted on that no one will miss or have appreciated anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Why is she refusing?

I have bought my two bridesmaids matching necklaces and earrings. If one refused to wear them I'd be pretty pissed off.

Are you supplying the jewelry or are you asking her to go and buy some that she may not wear again?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dictate the outfit dictate the shoes anything else is taking the piss, would you like them to also lose 3 stone for the photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Will having matching bridesmaids make you happy?

Or will forgetting about this and all of the other sh1te that brides- and grooms-to-be fret about actually mean you might enjoy marrying your future spouse? And enjoy partying with your friends in a stress-free way.

I got married 14 years ago, and have been to scores of weddings. I cannot stress how unimportant these things are, in my opinion. It is very unlikely that you or any of your guests will look back in future years at your wedding day and think ruefully how the day was ruined by the lack of jewellery on somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Does anyone remember stuff like this about weddings? I can barely remember the dresses let alone jewellery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

The whole point of the day is you are marrying your partner.
    There's not much outside of that that matters enough to stress over it.

Grow up , it's jewellery FFS. Will it matter in 5 years time? Focus on the marriage and the joyful life changing commitment you are making and not what the bridesmaid has hanging out of her ears

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's a non-issue. No one will notice. Last wedding I was at was a few months ago. I don't remember what colour dresses the bridesmaids wore or how many there were. Bridesmaids and groomsmen are just background decoration.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note: This is a reminder to keep all replies on-topic and relevant to the OP’s query. Posts not meeting this standard will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

OP, to answer your question, only you will know what it will look like. If the jewellery is delicate and/or the top of the dresses are fussy, it's unlikely to be noticeable. If the jewellery you're choosing is quite eye catching or the dress would look bare without any, then it may look like something is missing.

I'm sorry to hear that one of your bridesmaids won't play ball. Does she have a reason for not wanting to wear jewellery, like an allergy to certain metals or is it a personal aesthetic reason? It would be disappointing if it's the latter. For the number of people on here saying to you that it doesn't matter and it makes no difference, I would say exactly the same thing but direct it at your bm instead. If it makes no odds, then why would someone be so petty as to refuse? I hope you work it out x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Noone will notice, but if you force your bridesmaid to wear sometging she feels uncomfortable with then she will notice it all day! And it will most likely damage your relationship. My best friend/ bridesmaid doesn't wear jewelry at all so I never even discussed getting jewelry for her because I know her amd respect her wishes. I often think matchy matchy bridesmaids look silly, like when parents dress kids alike. They are different people with different personalities!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

I am guessing that she never wears it at all at any time?

If this is the case then I think you are being unreasonable in asking her to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

skallywag wrote: »
    I am guessing that she never wears it at all at any time?

If this is the case then I think you are being unreasonable in asking her to.

Sorry but why is it unreasonable just because she doesn't wear jewellery all the time? She doesn't wear a bridesmaid outfit all the time either.

The bride would like her bridesmaids to wear jewellery with their dresses - its not like she's being asked to shave her head!

OP has she given a reason or she just doesn't want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

D9Male wrote: »
    Will having matching bridesmaids make you happy?

Or will forgetting about this and all of the other sh1te that brides- and grooms-to-be fret about actually mean you might enjoy marrying your future spouse? And enjoy partying with your friends in a stress-free way.

I got married 14 years ago, and have been to scores of weddings. I cannot stress how unimportant these things are, in my opinion. It is very unlikely that you or any of your guests will look back in future years at your wedding day and think ruefully how the day was ruined by the lack of jewellery on somebody.

all total bollocks isn't it..

if I had my way again - I'd have jibbed the whole lot of it and just took myself and herself off to Aruba and got married with no one there but a few local witnesses..

Would have been financially better off too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

Dovies wrote: »
    Sorry but why is it unreasonable just because she doesn't wear jewellery all the time?

If someone never wears jewelery ever then I certainly would not be getting into a huff about it. People who never wear jewelery can find it extremely awkward, annoying, and just make you feel plain uncomfortable.

Agreed she does not wear such a dress all of the time, but I would hazard a guess that she wears clothes normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kalych

Dovies wrote: »
    Sorry but why is it unreasonable just because she doesn't wear jewellery all the time? She doesn't wear a bridesmaid outfit all the time either.

The bride would like her bridesmaids to wear jewellery with their dresses - its not like she's being asked to shave her head!

OP has she given a reason or she just doesn't want to?

Because making your friends do things they are uncomfortable with is unreasonable. Just because it's your wedding doesn't mean everyone has to do what you want them to. Where is this attitude coming from?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note: Thread locked at OP’s request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement