Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone use a soap bar instead of shower gel?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Always use soap myself, but some of the stuff they sell in supermarkets is rank. God knows what they put into them to make them stink that way.

If you like more natural stuff recommend you try traditional lavender soap. Not the synthetic efforts from the bigger brands but soap made with lavender. Here's one I like, which you can often come across in health food type shops here: http://www.emmanoel.fr/cosmetique-beaute-soin-bio/fr/product-detail/cat/savonnettes-savons/savonnette-lavande

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Do ye use the soap for washing hair aswell or shampoo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

A plus-one on the Dettol soap: plastic-free packaging, nice fresh smell that is clean and bright but un-gendered - and totally unlike the bottled Dettol!!

It's our favourite soap but hard to find in shops: so I snap it up by the half-dozen whenever I find a cache.

Shower gels and pump-dispenser liquid soaps make for a lot of packaging waste.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Shower gel often contains microbeads of plastic, that's the lumpy little bits you think are added to make you scrub cleaner. If actual balls of plastic you're washing in and then flowing down the drain. They are banned in many countries, Ireland is not one of those places however.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35261018/why-microbeads-in-shower-gels-are-bad-for-marine-life

Me. Bit harder to wash off residue, that's why I use shampoo not gel instead of soap when I buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

NIMAN wrote:
    I was dandering around the supermarket the other day and saw a Dettol soap bar for sale. Had a sniff and quite pleasant. Didn't buy it yet though.

I started two weeks ago. I got the blue Dettol soap, bought it on Amazon, didn't know dunnes had it.

I gave up shaving cream 7 years ago too. Was a pain when travelling as getting the little cans was difficult. I've sensitive skin and was struggling to get something that didn't dry my face.

So I bought a shower mirror, never looked back....

Heat the blade under the shower first.

Also clean and dry the blade afterwards
    , it last longer

Anyway the soap cuts down on plastic.

Still using plastic for other projects. Roll-on is the most wasteful.

But the soap is working, an Improvement on my skin too, its the one for sensitive skin. The Dettol one is regular cardboard too. Just one bag every 5 bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Can you use the soap on your hair or do you need shampoo

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭antoswords

Been using bars of soap for years, i just think you get a much better wash out of it. Using Simple Soap, no scent or anything, its perfect. But a new one has come on the market from bulldog, a men's skincare brand, i use their other products and find them excellent. Soaps look really good.

https://www.boots.ie/bulldog-original-bar-soap-200g-10261604p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I use Wrights tar smelling soap - it sounds a bit mad but it smells lovely.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Can you use the soap on your hair or do you need shampoo

In the book I Am David, the main character did and loved it.

However it's not for hair unless there's a shampoo soap, and I guess there must be as this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Cant bate the bar of imperial leather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I've only always and ever used soap bars. Shaved head so its all I use. Generally the simple soap, bought cheaply in Aldi or Dunnes or the likes. Never liked shower gels. Dont make me feel as clean, just greasy.

Keyzer wrote:
    I use Wrights tar smelling soap - it sounds a bit mad but it smells lovely.

I tried that too, but prefer the Dettol. It's only pretend tar now too, but it is good, a bit industrial.

But I agree soap produces a better wash

Here's a shampoo soap list.
    https://www.elle.com/beauty/g22815361/best-shampoo-bar/

I'm going to try one. Was was lashing through Nivia shower gel for years. Most other ones dry my skin. With all the pressure on to reduce plastic, I am back on a separate shampoo (Elave) made in Ireland too. Anyway I started using much smaller amounts and discovered that I was using far too much for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

ryaner777 wrote: »
    Highly recommend https://www.palmfreeirishsoap.ie/ Especially if you are being environmentally conscious

Based down in Clare and incredible value

Have used their https://www.palmfreeirishsoap.ie/online-shop/thyme-travel-shampoo as a shaving soap with a safety razor and it's excellent.

Only over the road from me and I've never heard of them. Must check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I picked up a charcoal face scrub soap bar in TK Maxx recently and I really liked it, I'm considering giving one a go for the shower too.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Stoner wrote:
    However it's not for hair unless there's a shampoo soap, and I guess there must be as this stage.

Yup loads of them around in markets and health food shops etc way nicer on the head

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

NIMAN wrote: »
    I was dandering around the supermarket the other day and saw a Dettol soap bar for sale. Had a sniff and quite pleasant. Didn't buy it yet though.

I haven't used a soap bar in years, last being the Imperial Leather blue sporty one. I remember it always had a distinctive smell.

But like many I'm sure most have been using liquid shower gels for years.

But wondering if anyone here still sues a soap bar, or could recommend one for me to try. Don't mind paying good money for a luxury one either.

Yep - we use Oilatum soap bars for the shower; it has a reasonably neutral scent. It's aimed at those with dry skin but is just a nice soap either way:

https://www.oilatum.co.uk/adult-daily-products-for-dry-skin/soap-bar/

Found a link to an Irish soap maker that has solid shampoo (shampoo soap)

So zero plastic, Irish made. I'll give it a go, good thread inspired me to try something different anyway.

https://www.threehillssoap.ie/product-category/solid-shampoos/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I exclusively use proper soap. I find the gels leave a residue. With the soap I just feel cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

we buy the Pure soap bars in aldi. 4 for maybe less than 2 euro.
    theyre are 2 in our home with sensitiveish skin that shower gels woukd irritate and these soaps are perfect.
    have been using them for a few years now. hope aldi doesnt discontinue them:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Shower gels never get you feeling clean imho. I use soap actually Irish spring..(us based) and imperial leather when home. I do like to use a gel afterwards though for moisture sometimes,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭dmc17

The Burren Perfumery do great quality natural products, including bars of soap. Bit more expensive, but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

skallywag wrote: »
    Keep it simple lads, the green Palmolive is the way to go. Lovely lather, nice scent.

Now, going back a bit, my grandparents would have had this red bar of soap at their home, which would have been a modest small farm in rural Ireland. This particular soap was found in a lot of homes at the time I remember, it was red in colour with a somewhat antiseptic smell. I wonder if anyone else knows/remembers what I mean, I'm trying to recall the name ...

That's carbolic soap, I started back using it about a year ago when I saw it for sale in the Co-op in Kenmare, no wrappers just three bars tied together. I smelt it from 5 feet away and it was like going back in time.

3 bars for 2 euro and it lifts the dirt off your hands and lasts forever.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

That's carbolic soap, I started back using it about a year ago when I saw it for sale in the Co-op in Kenmare, no wrappers just three bars tied together. I smelt it from 5 feet away and it was like going back in time.

That must be the one, I will keep an eye out for it, you are right, it is just one of those smells that you would really associate with years passed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

if im on a promise from the missus, ill break out the imperial leather bar of soap, otherwise its gel

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

you also need an aul scrubbing brush to clean yourself properly. just rubbing soap or gel on is not going to cut the mustard.
    rub your bar of simple soap over a brush like this a few times to get it lathered up and then scrub the bejaysus out of every inch of skin you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Great for the reduction of single use plastic lads!

I started on the Aleppo soap about 20 years ago. It’s ancient, one of the first soaps every used. And it’s good for everything. Gentle enough for babies, good for shaving, shampooing and washing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

are bars or soap much cheaper than shower gels.

bar of simple is about a quid. bottle of average shower gel is probably about 1.50-2.00, but can be gotten cheaper. but surely a bar of soap lasts a hell of a lot longer. I reckon for just shower use for myself alone, I would probably go through about 2-3 bottles of get compared to just the one bar of soap so there is a fair aul whack of a saving to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Joey from friends on soap

https://youtu.be/WGT__4uYwlE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

If anyone is looking for a nice shower gel, Seavite do a good one. It's on the pricier end of the scale (about €15 for a bottle) but made of nice things. :)

Advertisement