Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marian Finucane Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I was driving yesterday so wasn't paying close attention but I did hear this from her.........

"I thought most farmers had an intimate relationship with their tractors" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

dieselbug wrote: »
    I was driving yesterday so wasn't paying close attention but I did hear this from her.........

"I thought most farmers had an intimate relationship with their tractors" :eek:

She was a bit clueless thinking farmers don’t know their own tractors when the interviewee was promoting a product to mark equipment prone to being stolen. Thought that the product sounded great, making use of eircodes for identification purposes. Huge problem with farm breakins where I live

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

a ' nursing and midwifrey consultant ' on the panel , this term alone is part of the issue , overqualified nurses applying for traditional nurse's roles but expecting salaries commensurate with their qualifications .Most of the stuff done by nurses can be done by healthcare assistants and we actually need fewer nurses with these qualifications, the whole structure of the staffing nd roles and responsibilities needs to be re assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Thats impossible that would be about 28000 a year after 30 years if fulltime, how many days is that person working? They could be getting 450 every 2nd week for a day a weeks work?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Very interesting input from the lad Alan Barrett in today’s show.

Kind of blew a lot of the spin the nurses and Solidarity are putting out, clear out of the water.

First thing he acknowledged is that in situations like this everyone thinks that “they are special”. They are not, the HSE is a lot more than the nurses.

Another point which was touched on was the issue of recession and State coffers in difficult fiscal situations such as the 2007 collapse.

Do people in the PS really think that they should be immune from all the cold winds of recession whilst the rest of us are slaughtered?
    Do they really think that their pay and conditions should be sacrosanct no matter what?

If they do they need to wake up and wise up to the real world.

The programme was much more balanced than the crap that RTE have been putting out in other programmes where there was practically no balance.

About time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

€42,469 is top of payscale for nurses meaning (depending on family circumstances, married/single) between 577 and 650 a week after 30 years not 450. (This is before allowances overtime too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

honeybear wrote: »
    She was a bit clueless thinking farmers don’t know their own tractors when the interviewee was promoting a product to mark equipment prone to being stolen. Thought that the product sounded great, making use of eircodes for identification purposes. Huge problem with farm breakins where I live

Sounded like a good idea but thinking about it if we all recorded the unique serial numbers on items as advised by An Gardai and insurance companies would it not go along the same lines, as for machinery the VIN is registered to the rightful owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

dieselbug wrote: »
    Sounded like a good idea but thinking about it if we all recorded the unique serial numbers on items as advised by An Gardai and insurance companies would it not go along the same lines, as for machinery the VIN is registered to the rightful owner.

If people didn't buy equipment from "dodgy" sources it would help. The reality of it is that agricultural eqpt is only of use to another farmer so who is buying this stolen property? Likewise with eqpt from building sites again only of interest to another builder. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

Oops69 wrote: »
    Most of the stuff done by nurses can be done by healthcare assistants

I would agree that 'some' work, may be done by healthcare assistants, but when you say 'most'...could you list them please?

quote="Brendan Bendar;109385707"]
    >Kind of blew a lot of the spin the nurses and >Solidarity are putting out, clear out of the water.

Could you expand on your view of the 'spin' you mention?
    Also, 'kind of', doesn't sound very strong. The nurses spin was either blew out of the water, or wasn't. Which way are you spinning it?

>First thing he acknowledged is that in >situations like this everyone thinks that “they >are special”. They are not, the HSE is a lot more >than the nurses.

Nurses are the largest group in the healthcare sector. To me they are special, to the running of the service. Do you mean patients, medical or buildings are more special?

>Another point which was touched on was the >issue of recession and State coffers in difficult >fiscal situations such as the 2007 collapse.

>Do people in the PS really think that they should >be immune from all the cold winds of recession >whilst the rest of us are slaughtered?

Over the past decade, they have carried their share of the burden...maybe you have figures to dispute this, so please produce them?

>Do they really think that their pay and >conditions should be sacrosanct no matter what?

As I understand it, this dispute is about 'pay restoration'. Where do you interpret it as 'pay and conditions'?

>If they do they need to wake up and wise up to >the real world.

An extra billion here or there on an hospital that isn't complete yet, does not seem to register with you as significant. Maybe real world events pass you by?

>The programme was much more balanced than >the crap that RTE have been putting out in other >programmes where there was practically no >balance.

Whilst this is the first time I've noted you to credit this programme, I'm querying your consistency to tune into a station you appear to ' love to hate'

>About time. Touche [/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

@Sideboard....is it my phone or your text that's effed?

humberklog wrote: »
    @Sideboard....is it my phone or your text that's effed?

It’s not really readable , couldn’t make head or tail of it, to be honest.

Looks like "boards" doesn't work on my phone...will later from pc.

Kind of blew a lot of the spin the nurses and Solidarity are putting out, clear out of the water.

First thing he acknowledged is that in situations like this everyone thinks that “they are special”. They are not, the HSE is a lot more than the nurses.

Another point which was touched on was the issue of recession and State coffers in difficult fiscal situations such as the 2007 collapse.

Do people in the PS really think that they should be immune from all the cold winds of recession whilst the rest of us are slaughtered?
    Do they really think that their pay and conditions should be sacrosanct no matter what?

The programme was much more balanced than the crap that RTE have been putting out in other programmes where there was practically no balance.

About time.

Apologies, tried earlier to drop my responses into relevant parts to the "quoted" comments.

I have separated points so that Mr Bendar to which may wish to repond.

Also, 'kind of', doesn't sound very strong. The nurses spin was either blew out of the water, or wasn't. Which way are you spinning it?

Nurses are the largest group in the healthcare sector. To me they are special, to the running of the service. Do you mean patients, medical or buildings are more special?

Over the past decade, they have carried their share of the burden...maybe you have figures to dispute this, so please produce them?

As I understand it, this dispute is about 'pay restoration'. Where do you interpret it as 'pay and conditions'?

An extra billion here or there on an hospital that isn't complete yet, does not seem to register with you as significant. Maybe real world events pass you by?

Whilst this is the first time I've noted you to credit this programme, I'm querying your consistency to tune into a station you appear to ' love to hate'

sideboard wrote: »
    Apologies, tried earlier to drop my responses into relevant parts to the "quoted" comments.

I have separated points so that Mr Bendar to which may wish to repond.

Hmmm

Hopefully you will have listened to the programme which I was referring to, and given that 90% of your posts are concerning Marian Finucane show since 2012 I probably can assume you have.
    Spin
    Mr Barrett suggests that the nurses main plank is that a pay settlement would solve the disputed ‘retention problem’

There is no proof whatsoever that this is the case he correctly says.
    They also never mention that they are not honoring an agreement which was signed and agreed to.

Special

He suggests that every group involved in PS disputes thinks they are “special” in relation to pay awards.Nothing to do with what you or I think.

Pay and conditions

Any observer who doesn’t think this dispute isn’t abou pay and conditions is being pedantic and disingenuous .

About time.

Thank you for your response, but curiously you have not addressed the points I made to your comments of Sunday. In case you misunderstood, I will be more expansive with my questions.

You said:- "Very interesting input from the lad Alan Barrett in today’s show. Kind of blew a lot of the spin the nurses and Solidarity are putting out, clear out of the water".

What 'spin' have nurses used? I hear strike is for 'relativity pay to ensure adequate numbers of nurse retention. What is your understanding if they are using 'spin.

Also, tell me where you got 'Solidarity' from.? Not mentioned on programme and doesn't make any sense in your comment?

"First thing he acknowledged is that in situations like this everyone thinks that “they are special”. They are not, the HSE is a lot more than the nurses".

I didn't hear Mr Barrett acknowledge any such thing. He was recounting an anecdote in Dept Finance that all groups think they have a 'special-case' for their claim. Your account of 'they (nurses) are special' is wrong, if not deliberately misleading.

You also say "Another point which was touched on was the issue of recession and State coffers in difficult fiscal situations such as the 2007 collapse".

Please tell me where you found this in relation to nurses pay in the program?

Also:- "Do people in the PS really think that they should be immune from all the cold winds of recession whilst the rest of us are slaughtered?
    Do they really think that their pay and conditions should be sacrosanct no matter what
    "?

Personal view? Otherwise makes no sense why you went on with this line.

Thank you for your input.

See post 106

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

The people who got involved in this protest are idiots. Not because they called to his house, but because they have no given this guy a victim story that he can use to get sympathy from the public. He was in no danger but is going on like it's there was an army holding him hostage. First fifteen minutes now to soften up the audience before being asked some actual questions about the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Crowd of recent migrants currently on singing the praises of Labour and Fianna Fáil saying they can’t do enough for them.

Edit-some of them planning to run for election soon

The people who got involved in this protest are idiots. Not because they called to his house, but because they have no given this guy a victim story that he can use to get sympathy from the public. He was in no danger but is going on like it's there was an army holding him hostage. First fifteen minutes now to soften up the audience before being asked some actual questions about the job.

What struck me was these "protestors" didn't even know if Simon Harris was in the house!!!!!!

Just imagine being a new mother with a 3-week old infant on her own & probably sleep deprived and a gang of yobbos arrives outside her house. They should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves, apart from the fact that they clearly have zero political nuance. Their mammies & grannies must be mortified for them. :o

• Advertisement

Callan57 wrote: »
    Just imagine being a new mother with a 3-week old infant on her own & probably sleep deprived and a gang of yobbos arrives outside her house.

You would have thought that somebody would have done a bit of background research really, and worked out that this might not play out the best for them in the PR game.

I think between the hospital and the protest at his house, the Minister can just use the "Can somebody please just think of the children" argument for every argument he is in this week.

You would have thought that somebody would have done a bit of background research really, and worked out that this might not play out the best for them in the PR game.

I think between the hospital and the protest at his house, the Minister can just use the "Can somebody please just think of the children" argument for every argument he is in this week.
    These lads were carrying at least one poster which referred to themselves as a "batallion". They came across as eejits, even if harmless eejits; and in the context of how Harris's job has been spared, maybe even 'useful idiots'.

I can't get the image of Brendan flaying about him with a hurley :cool:

Turned the show off when I heard Noel Whelan. Can stand his pompous, condescending nature.

Listening to Eoghan Corry I'm reminded of the line ...... "We'll all be ruined, said Hanrahan"

Would now be the time to consider resurrecting Irish Shipping?

My god her voice is an octave higher, but her support for Fianna Fail is still the same. Shameful that there is no challenge to this FF broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

She nearly passed out in a corner there with a cough

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Maid Marian having a Rodney Rice moment ?

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Keep wanting to pass Marian a box of tissues. She sounds like a child with a runny nose ... dreadful to listen to

• Advertisement

when I heard that he was in studio this morning, I was sort of hoping that David Quinn was going to get stuck in to Amnesty International. I see the story was on the RTE website on Friday night, was there earlier this morning and is now gone - just in time to miss the media next week. Story successfully buried by all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement