Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drawing Skill for Animation

• 01-12-2018 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

Hi, this may be a stupid question but I am going for it anyway.

My 11 year old son is really into animation. He is just beginning and has got himself a graphics tablet and can easily spend a few hours drawing away. The problem is that he is terrible! We encourage him as much as we can but he does not seem to have any level of art skill. This sounds terrible as a parent to say such things but I would really like to help him along. He is happy as a clam and thinks he is great but really he is not. I try to get him to do some you tube tutorials but he is not so keen to do them for some reason, I think he thinks he does not need them.

My question is this, do you need to be a good artist to be good at animation? Is there any other side of it I can point him to that he could embrace without being able to draw great pictures? Would art classes help if there is little there to begin with anyway?

He has his own YouTube channel (TheOneWolf - check him out, if anyone can build on his 18 subscribers he would be thrilled) where he reviews games and he is really passionate about this kind of stuff so I dont want him to loose that passion. He has not posted in a few months as all of our stuff has been in transit from the other side of the world but it has arrived now. He was talking about expanding his site to include animation.

Again this all sounds bad coming from a parent but I know he got his art skills from me. I could not draw a straight line, my memories of art class were picking up a pencil and my mind going blank as I stared at the page. I could use it as a form of meditation, I am totally devoid of thought once I try to draw something. If I do put pencil to paper you can be guaranteed it will not look anything like what I intended it to. Unfortunately my son seems to have inherited this skill!

Advertisement