Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to 3 day old robin redbreast nestlings?

• 27-04-2018 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

6 healthy robin redbreast chicks hatched 3 days ago in my small greenhouse. The nest was on a ledge about a metre and a half off the ground. Robin mom was usually there in the nest with them, except for when she was out in the garden looking for food.

I peeked my head in the greenhouse a few times throughout the day they hatched and saw that all was good. Didn't get to see them yesterday as I was in a different county. I come home today and go to take a peek and.... No robin chicks and no robin mom!?!? Nest appears undisturbed. No signs of carcasses etc... Just completely vanished without a trace.

The ledge where the nest is is not accessible to cats.. And even if it was you would assume cats would leave a few remains. But there is absolutely nothing? There is no wind in the greenhouse that could have knocked them out of the nest. I checked all over the greenhouse for any signs of them and nothing.

What happened to the robin nestlings? I am totally devastated as it was a rare sight to see in my garden and I was hoping to document their journey from nestling to fledging with my camera. Very sad :( Any idea what may have happened?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Possible predation by Magpies or something similar. I had the contents of a Robin nest in my garden 'disappear' over the weekend and I strongly suspect it was a Magpie, as I had seen one hanging around that corner of the garden all last week.

I had been very careful not to approach the nest or peer in, as I was acutely aware of the risk of tipping a Magpie off to its location - they're very perceptive when it comes to things like that. I suggest if you get any future nests to refrain from checking the nest for eggs or chicks and instead just watch the adults come and go from a distance and then wait for the fledglings to appear before trying to get any pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kittycat000

Possible predation by Magpies or something similar. I had the contents of a Robin nest in my garden 'disappear' over the weekend and I strongly suspect it was a Magpie, as I had seen one hanging around that corner of the garden all last week.

I had been very careful not to approach the nest or peer in, as I was acutely aware of the risk of tipping a Magpie off to its location - they're very perceptive when it comes to things like that. I suggest if you get any future nests to refrain from checking the nest for eggs or chicks and instead just watch the adults come and go from a distance and then wait for the fledglings to appear before trying to get any pictures.

There is only a very small opening that I wouldn't think a magpie would get through... Unless they are extremely maneuverable ninjas!? I posted this in a different thread and somebody said it could be a rat, which is also what my father had thought.

I did get close to the nest a few times to look at it, but that wasn't too difficult to do due to the placement of the nest... I had been in and out of the greenhouse for days before even seeing the nest even though it was in the most obvious place. Wouldn't the magpie have seen me going in and out and have taken them on the very first day if that was the case? I would feel very guilty if it turned out to be a magpie and I may have alerted it to the nest!!! But I still can't see how it would have gotten in... A rat seems more likely.. Hopefully :/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

All I'd say is that people in general would be very surprised how easy it is to accidentally tip-off a predator to the location of a nest - whether that predator is a fox, a Magpie or a Rat. Some people on social media, myself included, can be very persistent about the laws and rules governing visiting or photographing nests, but it's with the birds best intentions in mind.

That being said, Rats and Magpies are very good at finding nests without any human help too, so don't worry yourself about it. If it seems like somewhere a Rat could get to with relative ease, then you and your Dad are probably right.

Advertisement