Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All in one headsets

• 03-02-2018 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭

I have been looking at some of the all in one VR headsets like this or this lately. I know these will not give a great VR experience but I am looking at them more for the using instead of a TV with my xbox, by using the cinema/theatre mode as these have a HDMI in. I don't really have the room for a TV and will probably be leaving the country in a few months so one of these would be a good option if they actually work ok. I have never used VR myself so know little about them and the VRexperience on these isn't really important for me, I'l be using it for playing xbox or watching movies mainly but will try the VR stuff that's available on it out of curiosity. So my question is has anyone on here tried something similar with an xbox? Any advice or headset recommendations would be welcome because I don't know much about these headsets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

No. Wait for the soon to be launched Oculus Go for about €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭dor83

Calibos wrote: »
    No. Wait for the soon to be launched Oculus Go for about €250.

I was looking at that but didn't think it had a HDMI in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Be careful with those devices, find ones with reviews on websites or YouTube before you buy. Screen quality and hardware spec means absolutely nothing without knowing more about refresh, contrast, input time etc. Not much different to buying a TV, really.

In theory, there's no reason why some of them wouldn't be good, but bad VR headsets are a waste of time and a lot of those generic chinese ones would be absolute crap.

You could consider a 2nd hand Sony HMZ headset? Think there are now a few generations of them available, looked for the newer ones, they're not VR as such but purely aim to offer a 'cinema screen in a headset' and they are good quality and can be used for games consoles well enough.

Yeah I have been trying to find more info on them but most seem to lack much info, I wouldn't mind paying up to about €300 if it was something I was confident about or I could try before I buy but it's so difficult to know really.

I did look at the Sony ones but they seem quite pricey for what they are and I think I'd rather spend the extra and get a Rift than pay that much for a 2nd hand HMZ, they seem to be around €300+ from what I saw. I also saw the Royole-X which looks interesting but it's hard to find a lot of info about this, they seem to be very vague about how big the screen looks when you're wearing it and just say it's like being at the back of a cinema. There is more info about the new model called the Moon but it is a crazy price for what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Those all-in-ones might be OK to good for native content/messing around (and some even not) but for input and console gaming I think the majority would be pretty useless.

The massive advantage of the Sony headsets is that input and console gaming works well on them with very good response times and all the rest.

That's not going to be the case with any of those Chinese headsets most likely, could be OK for watching movies but likely very bad for gaming via input.

I've personally used the $300 Pimax 4K rival to the Oculus Rift, and even that was excellent for movies, but crap for gaming. (and that does need an external PC, it's not an all in one).

I honestly think if it has to be for movies/games equally, the only option is a) PSVR + PS4 Pro or b) a Sony HMZ to connect your Xbox/devices to.

For purely movies, a good quality, well reviewed mobile phone headset (€30-50, not those crappy €10 ones) plus a phone with a good quality screen is a pretty good experience. If by any chance you've a compatible Samsung phone, Gear VR is excellent.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the problem, can't get much info on a lot of them. I had looked at the Pimax 4k alright but all the reviews said exactly what you say, nice screen but poor for gaming.

I did also consider the PSVR as it has a HDMI in and could be used in theatre mode with Xbox but from what I've read the screen isn't great and it's not really worth it for what I'd be using it for, I don't have a PS4 at the moment and won't be buying one for a while at least.

I'm not that interested in VR games at the moment, I'll wait until the tech develops more before I buy into it, I do like the idea and think it will be huge but it's still in it's early stages and quite expensive. I'd just buy a TV if I was staying here but there's no point in buying one until I figure out what I'm doing so maybe I'll just stick to game streaming from my Xbox to my surface for the moment. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Oculus Quest has just been released and is the best all-in-one headset yet...fyi

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

mrcheez wrote: »
    Oculus Quest has just been released and is the best all-in-one headset yet...fyi

Anyone know if the Quest is getting a May 21st release in any stores here in Ireland?

I got mine on order from Oculus but God only knows when that will arrive

Mine still says 21 May

FYI.. Oculus Quest thread is here.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057964784/1/#post110144172

Oh man it's so close.

Vader Immortal sounds great!

• Advertisement
Advertisement