Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

could foley be back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I wonder what would happen if 4FM or Radio Nova approached Ian Dempsey - not offering more money but relatively free rein with his program. Would he be tempted?

No chance of "free reign" on 4FM. It surely has the most tightly formatted and playlisted schedule in Ireland... here's yet another dose of Classic Song Investigations.... Can't imagine Iano being tempted by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Besides Ian there's nothing really to get 2bothered about, could sake the lot and start over, unfortunately its been on a downward spiral for a few yrs(as well as most stations especially 2fm)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

doc11 wrote: »
    could foley be back?

Wouldn't be against the idea myself.

I used to loath listening to him when he started but he grew on me.

Damn it, he is the heroin of radio.

When he left I was rather addicted. The start of the downward rot imho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

In relation to Ian Dempsey, I was speculating what he would do if he was approached by another station and if we was fed up in Today FM - of course, he may be quite happy where he is. Also, money may not be an issue for him at this stage so he might be tempted by a setup which suited his other needs in radio.

I thought of Radio Nova and 4FM because the target audience are at the older end of the scale and he would be comfortable with the music on both stations. In the case of Nova, he would know Marty Miller (from Today FM), John Clarke, Mike Maloney and, of course, from pirate radio many moons ago Pat James. He may not know as many on 4FM - he would know Gareth O'Callaghan very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

A lot of people mentioning that Anton got the bullet, I can't see that being the case. Really, dump a talent like Anton and have Alison Curtis lined up to take over. No way plan to have a light weight take over a prime time slot !!
    Seems to me they were trying to hardball Anton and he wasn't taking it.

Today FM seem to be in a decision making tail spin. Loosing a presenter like Anton is bad but deciding the answer is a major change is very risky. As is the decision to chase a new demographic who as far as I know have no interest in radio and prefer streaming, maybe some but surely not in big numbers anyway.

I said before, they're in danger of becoming 2FM. Second rate with a line up of second rate presenters. Every time I switch to 2FM it sounds like a local station maybe LMFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I have wondered from time to time why he continues to work those godawful hours.
    I'd happily do two hours a day from 7-9 for 30 years on that money.
    If you think they are godawful hours then don't have a look at KC's hours on Red Fm, he's on from 5am till 9.
    And won Breakfast show off the year a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Was just listening to the handover from Ian to Alison... you could hear Ian had no interest in it, very forced and false, nothing like the genuine respect during the interaction between Ian and Anton..

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Deadmau5 followed by Iggy izalia just now on today Fm, yeah defo goin after spin listener age group

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

Even Tonys club classics are gone very safe. The last few weeks they have all been late 2000s or into the teens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭prunudo

reg114 wrote: »
    Deadmau5 followed by Iggy izalia just now on today Fm, yeah defo goin after spin listener age group

At leaat the deadmau5 one was a good tune

Or should that be choon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Today FM must have it in for me. It used to be the default channel for me but with Friday night 80's, Jim O'Neill and now Anton gone the only show I still tune into is the Last Word.

Yer one that replaced Anton is dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

doc11 wrote:
    could foley be back?

Didn't Savage interview Foley a couple of months back and he made some comments about Today FM? I never heard it but I believe the comments were not favourable and the last hour that he was on with Anton never went on the website to listen back, anybody able to fill in what was said?

I have wondered from time to time why he continues to work those godawful hours.

What hours would he actually work, out of curiousity?

Say for argument sake he's on from 7-9am, I presume he doesn't show up for work at 6:45?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

_Brian wrote: »
    Was just listening to the handover from Ian to Alison... you could hear Ian had no interest in it, very forced and false, nothing like the genuine respect during the interaction between Ian and Anton..

Havent heard it but Ian & Alison worked together for a good few years on the Breakfast show, so they know each other well.

I do like Ian Dempsey but I don't think that we need more than 2 hours of him a day. And I just can't see him taking an afternoon or mid morning stint. Ian has been good cos he has a lot of activities in his show - the competition usually lasts almost 10 minutes, Kick start, gift grub, long sport news with interaction with PC, and lots more. There isn't much room for lulls in the 2 hour breakfast show but a 3 hour mid morning show...I dunno And form listening to Iano interviewing people over the years, he is not the greatest interviewer - and maybe thats to do with the interview types that he has done. Its talking mainly to bands and singers etc and he is usually fawning all over them, which is fine. But that for 3 hours with other types of giests...no thanks.

The Last Word imo has changed in the last few months - and I like it - Paul Kimmage on a Monday, longer TV slot on a Wednesday, your man from LCB, plus I do like Matt. They better keep hold of that show.

I said in another thread that I think the front runner for Anton's slot is Neil Delamres for the taking - I dunno if I like that but he has grown on me over the last year.

One other thing - Pat Kenny jumped off of the RTE ship years ago and who would have thought it. So what RTE star might leave it for TodayFM??? Just putting it out there...Mr Fanning? I do enjoy his Saturday & Sunday morning shows - beats Alison on TodayFM.

Thats my tuppence worth!

Owryan wrote: »
    Today FM must have it in for me. It used to be the default channel for me but with Friday night 80's, Jim O'Neill and now Anton gone the only show I still tune into is the Last Word.

Yer one that replaced Anton is dire.

Oh agree - I so miss Friday Night 80's, cant understand why they changed it! Crazy idea...
    Watch out the classic 9 at 11 will be cut next :eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

robo wrote: »
    Oh agree - I so miss Friday Night 80's, cant understand why they changed it! Crazy idea...
    Watch out the classic 9 at 11 will be cut next :eek:

The only crazy about getting rid of FN80's was, IMO, that Phil Cawley was left in the slot. According to Phil himself, the reason it was cancelled was that it was felt that it was giving the station "too old a sound". Now, if management really felt that, why wouldn't they bring in a younger DJ with a proper Friday night show, maybe even a dance/EDM show or something, rather than the horrific middle ground that is Friday Night Anthems which really pleases no-one.

(And to be clear, I loved FN80's and would be much happier if it stayed, but I see the argument management are making here)

I mean, it would have made a huge amount of sense if FN80's was replaced by FN90's. The people with the most amount of nostalgia for 90's music are now entering their mid-20's and early 30's. Y'know, Today FM's demographic...

I'd agree with FN90's too - and with Cawley. But he did sound a bit miffed at the time that they were getting rid of it.
    Would have made good sense to have a new section at 7pm with a completely new show.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

robo wrote: »
    I'd agree with FN90's too - and with Cawley. But he did sound a bit miffed at the time that they were getting rid of it.
    Would have made good sense to have a new section at 7pm with a completely new show.

Phil spoke at an event I was organising about a month back. IIRC, he basically said that he understood that the station needs to attract younger listeners, but he felt that they were going at it in too extreme a way, and would end up alienating existing listeners faster than they would attract new ones.

I think people here need to realise that Today FM needs (or wants) to skew younger. People are saying that they are aiming for the Spin audience. However, I disagree. I think they are aiming for the Spin audience who are outgrowing Spin. I think that's a sensible move to make. These are the people who will, hopefully, be us in 10 years time bemoaning that the station they've listened to in the office or the car pretty much constantly all this time is now going after the filthy youth!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

They need to quickly realise that younger listeners have little or no interest in radio.

It's Spotify and the like for them.

• Advertisement

lambayire wrote: »
    They need to quickly realise that younger listeners have little or no interest in radio.

It's Spotify and the like for them.

Explain the success of Beat, the Spins and iRadio then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

I'm starting to think based on what is going on over at INM that anyone with a private pension or anyone hoping to receive a pension when they retire should boycott INM and their sister companies like Today FM, Newstalk etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's not going to happen. I am appalled at what is happening to their pensions though. The implications for all of us are chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Damn shame what is happening

Listened to Today FM pretty much from the beginning and now I'm not. It just doesn't have any appeal for me any more

Saying that, at 43, I don't think I'm the demographic they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hubstan

nc6000 wrote: »
    I'm starting to think based on what is going on over at INM that anyone with a private pension or anyone hoping to receive a pension when they retire should boycott INM and their sister companies like Today FM, Newstalk etc.

I don't think that will be necessary, in Today FM's case anyway, by the looks of it nobody will be listening from next year on anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

ads20101 wrote: »
    Damn shame what is happening

Listened to Today FM pretty much from the beginning and now I'm not. It just doesn't have any appeal for me any more

Saying that, at 43, I don't think I'm the demographic they want.

Same as me I'm 42. The last straw for me was the loss of Jim of neil on Sundays. No where to go now . Listening to more talk stuff now. Lbc and James whale back whit ash on talk radio in UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Radio Gold

Big Mistake getting rid of Friday night 80s, Both Radio Nova and RTE Gold now have 80s shows on Friday nights, TodayFM looks like a station in decline with my age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I would bet a substantial amount of money there will be no known name not currently employed by Newscorp taking Antons show before Paddys Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I'd happily do two hours a day from 7-9 for 30 years on that money.
    If you think they are godawful hours then don't have a look at KC's hours on Red Fm, he's on from 5am till 9.
    And won Breakfast show off the year a few weeks back.

Agreed. I'm a fan of Iano, but seriously loads of us get up at early hours to get into work for a heck of a longer day than he has. I presume that he has plenty of time on the previous day, to set up whatever needs to be set up for the show.

7 a.m is a reasonable enough start time for loads of people, he doesn't have a huge commute or anything. I'm always slightly intrigued by how he makes it sound like a burden having to get up soooooo early. :rolleyes:

Having said all that, for me, he is easy listening, and always comes across as a genuinely nice guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

I'm far from a fan of the new Chief Exec at Today FM after the disaster of 98FM...but that being said I get the logic behind the much maligned push for younger listeners. I think people saying they are going after the Spin audience or are looking to drastically overhaul the schedule to attract a far younger demographic is incorrect. I think with Today FM what has happened is that their presenters have aged, their listenership has aged, with less new listeners entering the fold...whereas before they were probably attracting enough new younger listeners to keep the average age steady. This is obviously not just down to presenters but new media options such as Spotify etc. as other people have already said.

I'm sure they have done some research and have found that their audience is ageing which is a problem for the station, and advertisers. I think they are probably looking to get the average age of their audience down to 30-35...I think the average for Anton's show was quoted at 37 in an article last week. I personally liked Anton but given Today FM let his contract run down to having a week left I find it hard to believe he left of his own volition. I think Dempsey, as long as the JNLR's stay steady, will leave when he chooses to...I can't see Matt Cooper leaving anytime soon thankfully, and unfortunately I don't see Fergal Darcy leaving either given he is relatively new in the afternoon slot so I think changes at the station may be limited to that 9-12 slot and possibly the overall time slots of the schedule.

On the Foley point, personally would love to see him back there...and one would hope the current management can write 98FM off as a s*itshow and look at his proven success nationally. I think Muireann O'Connell is one of the best female presenters on Irish radio and herself and Foley worked well together towards the end of the stint in 98, and bounce off each other well on TV3 on Friday nights, so that could be an interesting take on, and a slightly younger skewing, 9-12 show.

Advertisement