Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open University Questions and Answers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭allin-king

Anyone doing or done this? I'm about to start and feel daunted and out of my depth. I'm an intelligent person but have never went to Uni and never bothered at school (Young and foolish)...just looked at the course work and I haven't a clue what to do.

Do I have a pen and paper with me and just take notes when I'm required to do an "activity" in the first part (Cleopatra) there are activities on nearly every page, do I treat them like tests? Confused!!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭spring21

Hi, has anyone studied with OU Diploma in Geography?
    I have a shortfall in my Geo degree and TC suggested me to study this course. Unfortunately this diploma will withdraw next year in Dec so I have to take the two modules together to achieve 120points for my degree to get full recognition.
    Maybe some of you could help/explain how OU works? Do I have to go there for lectures? What is the time table for a diploma course?
    Please any help will be great cos I really want to work as a teacher here,
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

allin-king wrote: »
    Anyone doing or done this? I'm about to start and feel daunted and out of my depth. I'm an intelligent person but have never went to Uni and never bothered at school (Young and foolish)...just looked at the course work and I haven't a clue what to do.

Do I have a pen and paper with me and just take notes when I'm required to do an "activity" in the first part (Cleopatra) there are activities on nearly every page, do I treat them like tests? Confused!!

Hi Allin King. For the activities you just make your own notes on these. If you're pressured for time one week I'd just skip over it and come back to ti if you can. They're just a way for you to revise over the chapter / sections you have studied.

Hi Spring.

The Open University (OU) usually works in that a student chooses a certificate / diploma / degree to study (in your case geography). Once you have chosen and registered for your modules to earn your diploma then you will be able to access your course website. On this you will see if you have tutorials or not. If you do, the site will tell you when and where the tutorials will be held. They are usually within 12 miles of your house although sometimes can be further. If you cannot make it to one or more of your tutorials you should email your tutor in advance. The course website and / or your tutor can advise you on how much study will be needed per week. Good luck :)

Thank you. so it is an online diploma? I found out that this diploma has 2 modules 60 credits each, I have to take the two together,because it will be withdrawn next Dec . You dont know how many hrs/wk study will be for 120 credits?
    It will be a lot of essay and practical projects on this diploma?

• Advertisement

As far as I know it's around 16 hours per week for 60 point courses. If you're doing two 60 point courses then you'd need around 32 hours (around three or four hours per day). Although some weeks if you didn't have a lot of time I'd say for you to concentrate on areas relating to any upcoming essays, etc. The OU might have concerns about you doing two 60 point courses together so if you can reassure them that you'll have the time to study both courses there should be no problem. Also don't forget you're entitled to tax relief on these modules :)

Thx, the advisor from OU said that I could take the two modules but will be a lot of study.
    Sorry for asking again but how does it work , i will get all the materials from them and study each chapter and then will be a test or I have to prepare the essay?
    About the tax do you know how much will I get back from €1550 ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You will have tests/essays/assignments/exams depending on the course - you get the materials from the OU, and are assigned a tutor who will assist you/hold tutorials online or offline depending on the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

allin-king wrote: »

Ring your tutor, honestly they are so experienced with dealing with new students - they can put your mind at rest and stop you stressing.

AA101 like all Level 1 OU courses are written for new entrants to HE with no previous learning - you just need to find your feet and it's natural to have your feelings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

I know the feeling - I'm starting DD101 (Introducing the social sciences) this year having done part of S104 (Exploring science) at the start of the year. The format is so different, completely different "way of thinking" needed, and the first parts of the course have me baffled.

Hopefully everything will fall into place for both of us.

Definitely get in touch with your tutor if you're feeling a bit overwhelmed. In my experience, OU tutors are all VERY helpful.

Also, have you downloaded the FirstClass software? It will allow you access to your tutor group forum without having to use the website. Get to know your fellow students - they're great for support through the bad bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

spring21 wrote: »
    Thx, the advisor from OU said that I could take the two modules but will be a lot of study.

If you're working full-time and thinking of doing 120 points in one year, i'd seriously urge you to reconsider. I did this once and while I did well in the TMA's for both courses, I failed one exam and just about passed another as it was so difficult to study for both exams simultaneously. And i've read on FirstClass that many others have made the same mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 coylet1

I am considering doing this course, science - an anyone offer advice -
    Can it be done in 1 yr?
    how tough is it?
    Are grants available for open unoversoty courses?
    Can a ROI complete this course in NI?
    Thanks for any help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

You must be ordinarily resident in the UK, so the answer is No.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Hi,

Looking to do a level 2 this year coming in pursuit of my hons degree in engineering with the OU.

I am in full time enployment with a technical background, and a one year old son so time really is at a premium. Any advice on some favourable courses that may not need as much time as others from past experiences any 1?

Cheers.....

Hi,

does anyone know if you are redundant do you qualify for an financial; assistance if doinf a full time open university course PGCE?

Thansk

coylet1 wrote: »
    Hi,

does anyone know if you are redundant do you qualify for an financial; assistance if doing a full time open university course PGCE?

Thansk

Nope. As it says in the prospectus for that particular course, you must be ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom. You have to do placements in UK schools.

If you have a address in teh north you can apply to get placed there so as you are attending a course in NI would that nopt qualify you for finacial assisstance??

Also the course i run thru Dublin open universoty

dalkener wrote: »
    Thanks for that, was thinking of a PO box in Newry. The expense of travel wouldn't be a hassle as I regularly work in that area for my present job. Sounds too easy though,as you say.

HI, did this work for you using the northern PO box

If you have a address in teh north you can apply to get placed there so as you are attending a course in NI would that nopt qualify you for finacial assisstance??

Also the course i run thru Dublin open universoty

MOST OU courses can be done in the Republic of Ireland, however the PGCE is *UK ONLY*. You have to be habitually resident in the UK, you have to be based in the UK so you can do the teaching placements, and of course - why would the social welfare pay for you to do a course that only qualifies you to teach in the UK?

Of course you could give a relative/friend's address in the North and but the social welfare won't pay for it, and of course you'd be committing fraud.

At least read the prospectus before commenting - then you won't be giving out inaccurate information!

eth0_ wrote: »
    MOST OU courses can be done in the Republic of Ireland, however the PGCE is *UK ONLY*. You have to be habitually resident in the UK, you have to be based in the UK so you can do the teaching placements, and of course - why would the social welfare pay for you to do a course that only qualifies you to teach in the UK?

Of course you could give a relative/friend's address in the North and but the social welfare won't pay for it, and of course you'd be committing fraud.

At least read the prospectus before commenting - then you won't be giving out inaccurate information!

actually you are qualified to work in the south - its a PGCE secondary and IS recognised by the TC!!!!!
    what I wanted to know was did I NEED and address in teh north in order to study teh NI course?????

• Advertisement

actually you are qualified to work in the south - its a PGCE secondary and IS recognised by the TC!!!!!
    what I wanted to know was did I NEED and address in teh north in order to study teh NI course?????

Have you read this thread? Have you read the brochure for that course? :rolleyes:

YES you need to be resident in N.Ireland/UK to study that course with the OU. You will need to do placements in UK schools so you obviously need to have an address there.

HI, did this work for you using the northern PO box

Sorry I missed this post. No, you cannot use a PO box to defraud the OU into thinking you are a UK resident. You have to use a residential address so they know you are tax resident in the UK.

Is there any financial assistance available for doing the fulltime 1 yr PGCE that anyone knows about - been made redundant and need to do somthing

Is there any financial assistance available for doing the fulltime 1 yr PGCE that anyone knows about - been made redundant and need to do somthing

This board is about distance learning, there is another board about student finances that you should post this question on.

eth0_ wrote: »
    This board is about distance learning, there is another board about student finances that you should post this question on.

I am looking for soem VALUABLE feedback not knockbacks, so if you ahve nothing valuable to contribute to my q's please don't respond and waste others time thank you!!:mad:

I am looking for soem VALUABLE feedback not knockbacks, so if you ahve nothing valuable to contribute to my q's please don't respond and waste others time thank you!!:mad:

I *AM* giving you valuable feedback - this thread is about open university courses, not about getting funding for NON OU courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

Hi all,

Think this is the right place for this but feel free to move if it isn't.

Am giving serious consideration to starting some modules with the OU soon but am trying to research it well beforehand. Have heard good things all round tho.

With regard to fees - Has anyone used the Open University Student Budget Accounts system to pay their fees and how exactly does it work?

I have been in contact with the OU with regard to this system and got some info but would still like to hear some first hand experience.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes I have - If I recall correctly the cost of the course is spread over the duration of the course and taken out monthly. So if a 60 point course costs £1330 and lasts 9 months, you pay approx £147 for each month of the course.

I think from Ireland you have to provide them credit card details for the installments as they can't do direct debits from bank accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Buffybot is spot on. The fee is split into monthly installments over the duration of the course. You give them your Credit Card details and they deduct the monthly payment from your card.
    I've just completed a course and paid through the OUSBA and it everything went smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

Thanks lads. That was a great help. No doubt there will be more questions to come...:D

Advertisement