Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mens Skincare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I get seborrheic dermatitis on my face so I use Moo Goo scalp cream. It's brilliant.
    After a shave I use L'Occitaine Cade balm

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

In the last year or so I've hugely increased my use of products :o

T-Zone Clay Mask about once a week
    St Ives Blemish Control face scrub about every second day
    UltraPure Witch Hazel rubbed on every morning
    Simple light moisturizer (occasionally with a bit of BB cream mixed in) on every morning.

Very happy with how much it's improved my skin. The masks in particular have a huge effect. It is mostly just for fun, and I wouldn't say it's something everyone else should be doing, but I'm extremely happy with how this routine has improved my skin over the last year or so.

Edit: Also Bulldog Beard Oil every now and then, if that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Not sure I’d be comfortable using BB cream or tinted moisturiser. Does it give much colour?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Gael23 wrote: »
    Not sure I’d be comfortable using BB cream or tinted moisturiser. Does it give much colour?

I bought one that was a touch too dark for my skin, if I put it on alone it would look absolutely ridiculous. I mixed a very small amount of it in an empty moisturizer bottle with some new moisturizer, to a tone that I am happy with. For me it just helps sort a slightly red nose and circles around the eyes (occasionally use concealer as well for the eyes), but it's not noticeable at all on my cheeks or forehead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Am not convinced with all these expensive or even cheap face products. They have a lot of chemicals in them. There is research coming out now about sun creams for example and how the absorbed chemicals cause loads of things including decreased sperm count. So many of the chemicals that are casually put as ingredients in everyday personal products are endocrine disruptors. And estrogenic. It is hard enough for men to avoid estrogen as it is, it has become so prevalent in the environment.

Anyways, I recommend organic virgin coconut oil for skin care. It just has that one ingredient - coconut oil. It's about 4 quid for a jar in Tesco for the organic stuff and will last for ages. It penetrates the skin easier than other oils and is anti-inflammatory, so it's good for those who have skin conditions such as some are mentioning. And the big secret is - after you leave it on for a few minutes use a facecloth to rub off excess. Not a fluffy facecloth but one that has lived a little and has a bit of roughness to it, as that stimulates the skin and exfoliates a bit. Change facecloths every couple of days, so you don't carry over stuff.

Cheap and effective, I promise it's great stuff. 51 year old lady here and that's all I ever use, it cleanses, mosturises, and protects all in one. I have really good skin. And you can use it anywhere - hair, body, feck ya can even eat it - (though I don't like it myself that way).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

What do you recommend for black around the eyes and wrinkles? I know it's from a lack of sleep and years of sunbathing..or at least I think so. I'm 28.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    What do you recommend for black around the eyes and wrinkles? I know it's from a lack of sleep and years of sunbathing..or at least I think so. I'm 28.

Sleep :)

Oatstraw is a great herb for sleep help, a cup or two in late afternoon/evening.

Other natural oils like rosehip or almond oil are good for the eye area, lines and darkness. They are lovely too.

Zorya wrote: »
    Sleep :)

Oatstraw is a great herb for sleep help, a cup or two in late afternoon/evening.

Other natural oils like rosehip or almond oil are good for the eye area, lines and darkness. They are lovely too.

I'll check them out.

I'm a terrible sleeper. I think I need a nice book to read at night to tire my eyes.

I use random face creams and eye creams from boots like L'Oréal for my eyes but I don't know if they're working.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm a terrible sleeper. .

A lot of people are, including myself by times and my adult children. Oatstraw is really good, buy online organic from Baldwins pharmacy. Be with you in a week, 2 teaspoons to a tea pot, brew for a while and strain into cup. Magnesium is worth checking out. Lavender oil on your pillow, couple of drops - my husand calls it ''granny juice'' :D but it knocks him out in minutes. Reading helps - no blue light from phones or devices. Socks in bed. Yes, sounds crazy but it helps :)

Zorya wrote: »
    A lot of people are, including myself by times and my adult children. Oatstraw is really good, buy online organic from Baldwins pharmacy. Be with you in a week, 2 teaspoons to a tea pot, brew for a while and strain into cup. Magnesium is worth checking out. Lavender oil on your pillow, couple of drops - my husand calls it ''granny juice'' :D but it knocks him out in minutes. Reading helps - no blue light from phones or devices. Socks in bed. Yes, sounds crazy but it helps :)

Thanks. I will definitely order some. I have lavender oil at home for my infuser so I'll give that a go tonight.

The blue light filter on my phone turns on at 9pm. It's a great tip for everyone with a somewhat modern phone to put it on by schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I'm confused, what you mean blue light filter, does your phone not just go into sleep mode at night time or whenever you leave it alone.

Some great advice regarding natural oils to use on yourself.
    I still seem to suffer from the occasional few spots/acne on my face, bad diet would be the main reason, but would coconut oil help with this?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭bren2001

I'm confused, what you mean blue light filter, does your phone not just go into sleep mode at night time or whenever you leave it alone.

Some great advice regarding natural oils to use on yourself.
    I still seem to suffer from the occasional few spots/acne on my face, bad diet would be the main reason, but would coconut oil help with this?

Thank you

It's about using your phone at night and removing the blue light. Effectively, blue light messes with you circadian rhythm. When your brain is stimulated by blue light it doesn't release melatonin as it believes it is still sunny outside. Melatonin is the chemical we associated with darkness and hence sleeping. So using your phone, watching tv, using backlight kindles are not recommended if you want to achieve good sleep quality.

I use an app called twilight on my phone and it removes the wavelengths in the light spectrum.

It's all explained extremely well in Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker. When I do follow all the advice in the book, I wake up feeling rested and ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

bren2001 wrote: »
    It's about using your phone at night and removing the blue light. Effectively, blue light messes with you circadian rhythm. When your brain is stimulated by blue light it doesn't release melatonin as it believes it is still sunny outside. Melatonin is the chemical we associated with darkness and hence sleeping. So using your phone, watching tv, using backlight kindles are not recommended if you want to achieve good sleep quality.

I use an app called twilight on my phone and it removes the wavelengths in the light spectrum.

It's all explained extremely well in Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker. When I do follow all the advice in the book, I wake up feeling rested and ready to go.

Thank you, I never knew this before and I always watching the TV to help me fall asleep. I will have to try change my sleeping habits. It will be hard to break that one though as I've been doing it all my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Skin is in pretty good condition but one area I can never seem to sort if a slight redness around my nose/nostrils.
    Any advice?

I also shave my head a few times a week and top of head does be a little tender/slightly reddish.

Any products I could/should be using ?

I started using the new Clinique super energiser gel and I was loving it but I feel like it’s leaving a sticky residue on my skin

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

'Your so vein i bet you thought this song was about you' Carley Simon, sums up this tread perfectly.

decky1 wrote: »
    'Your so vein i bet you thought this song was about you' Carley Simon, sums up this tread perfectly.

Those aren't even the lyrics :rolleyes:

Some lads like to look after their skin, some guys aren't interested. What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lc180

Any reccomendations for moisturiser with SPF?

I saw Clinique mentioned in the thread already so will check that out but any other brands worth considering?

I have an office job wont need it for day to day use. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

decky1 wrote:

If fairness had you read some of the comments you would realise skin care is not solely the domain of the vain. Psoriasis (which I have around my mouth, mild form but still painful at times) is an unpleasant condition and any thing which helps relieve it is good. Why would it bother you that people would share tips on how to cope with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

lc180 wrote: »
    Any reccomendations for moisturiser with SPF?

I saw Clinique mentioned in the thread already so will check that out but any other brands worth considering?

I have an office job wont need it for day to day use. Cheers
    The Clinique men moisturiser with spf21 is good.
    Simple do an spf30 moisturiser which isn't bad if on a budget

• Advertisement

If fairness had you read some of the comments you would realise skin care is not solely the domain of the vain. Psoriasis (which I have around my mouth, mild form but still painful at times) is an unpleasant condition and any thing which helps relieve it is good. Why would it bother you that people would share tips on how to cope with it?

Even if you don't have a skin disorder of any kind and just like to look after your skin, what's the big deal? This is a thread about this exact topic. It's not like I'm bombing into a pub and shouting about how great my skin is or anything :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I'll throw it out there again, anything for Acne scars?Or Scars in general. I won't use anything with oil in it as that may cause a massive flare up and happy to live with the scars than have more acne. Basically anything to take reddnes off the skin.

I'll throw it out there again, anything for Acne scars?Or Scars in general. I won't use anything with oil in it as that may cause a massive flare up and happy to live with the scars than have more acne. Basically anything to take reddnes off the skin.
    I have a little bit of rosacea on cheeks I got it lasered it helped a lot.
    If there recent scars kelocote is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

gmisk wrote: »
    I have a little bit of rosacea on cheeks I got it lasered it helped a lot.
    If there recent scars kelocote is fantastic

How much is lasertrement cost you. Its a route I'd rather not go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Those aren't even the lyrics :rolleyes:

Some lads like to look after their skin, some guys aren't interested. What's the problem?

did'nt post to offend anyone with 'skin condition' eh what are the lyrics then?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Even if you don't have a skin disorder of any kind and just like to look after your skin, what's the big deal? This is a thread about this exact topic. It's not like I'm bombing into a pub and shouting about how great my skin is or anything

Absolutely no idea why you are addressing your comment to me .

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm another for Childs Farm, stuff is lovely. If not that, I'd use Aveeno moisturisers.
    I've recently started using this stuff having not used a face scrub for years:

618fSeMIDLL._SY879_.jpg

It's amazing stuff, face feels great lately.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK folks, back on topic please.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

gmisk wrote: »
    The Clinique men moisturiser with spf21 is good.
    Simple do an spf30 moisturiser which isn't bad if on a budget

My view would be that SPF21 isn’t enough for the face. Apart from the super energiser SPF40, the only other one I’ve ever used on my face is la roche lossy anthelios SPF50. It’s just SPF so you need to put moisturizer underneath it.

• Advertisement

How much is lasertrement cost you. Its a route I'd rather not go down.
    It was about 500 for 5 I have only had 3, it was more for thread veins but it also helps with rosacea

Advertisement