Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feathers ID

• 14-06-2017 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭

Anybody got an idea what these might have belonged to. Swift perhaps???

feathers-20170614_134531-900_zpstxdh2lts.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

My guess would be starling possibly a juvenile

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pointelle

surely starlings have that greeny iridescence to their feathers?
    my own question is there are so many feathers there that chances are little birdy died, what about when you find one random large feather? The spine can be quite big, do birds lose these and live? Do they grow back? I'll google it , but my tendency to go off on a tangent probably means I'll never get there! a young lady blackbird?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Pretty sure it's a kill. There were about 30-35 in all. Prime candidates are House Martin, Swift, Starling or Blackbird, in rough/guessed order of likelihood. In recent days the crows have been harassing the Martins which I don't recall seeing before and the Martins, unusually, haven't been feeding much in the immediate area.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Going post a pic of feather that I found in garden any ideas it’s hard to tell

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

It looks like the outer primary flight feather from a jackdaw to me. They often have pale or even white feathers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Pretty sure it’s peacock too big for jackdaw or robin will put a pic with scale later

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

catrat12 wrote: »
    Pretty sure it’s peacock too big for jackdaw or robin will put a pic with scale later

I'd go with peacock too-depending on size of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As with many feathers, it's neigh on impossible to identify without knowing the scale.

Advertisement