Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda reserve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭paddyCPW

How did everyone get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TomHow

Anyone recieved the curriculm yet

Skydiver, why are you wondering if the curriculum had been received by the new intake of reserves? Are you a current Reserve member or are you interested in signing up?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Skydiver1961

TomHow wrote: »
    Skydiver, why are you wondering if the curriculum had been received by the new intake of reserves? Are you a current Reserve member or are you interested in signing up?

Strange question really from someone who has just joined the conversation ??

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Tommy_utd16

Valid question imo, he might be a current reserve enquiring about any changes. Was there any mention of new powers or roles for reserves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lowiz

To be honest. I’ve been following this thread for the last few years.

A question was asked, a very good one “how did everyone get on last weekend” and nothing? From anyone that was there for training, you all have to admit you were very vocal on this thread before. So when someone asks about the curriculum why jump on them and judge their intentions just because they have only joined.... and yes I’ve been following the conversation and just joined 2 hours ago!!! We have all been there for the last few years of this process and that negative reply is enough to make other recruits that are following this thread not to bother asking anything.

Yeah cheers for that, just because any other recruits decided to be private about following their ambitions, you must been a given a good smack on your wrists for your social media presence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Crusher82

To be honest I was wonder how it all went to as it would b nice to know what to expect when I/we eventually get the opportunity to start our training as garda reserve??

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TomHow

This "conversation started in 2014. Was I supposed to be commenting on this thread since then? Boards is an open forum which enables people to participate as they see fit. I was simply asking a straightforward question that required a straightforward answer.

Lowiz wrote: »

A question was asked, a very good one “how did everyone get on last weekend” and nothing? From anyone that was there for training, you all have to admit you were very vocal on this thread before. So when someone asks about the curriculum why jump on them and judge their intentions just because they have only joined.... and yes I’ve been following the conversation and just joined 2 hours ago!!! We have all been there for the last few years of this process and that negative reply is enough to make other recruits that are following this thread not to bother asking anything.

Yeah cheers for that, just because any other recruits decided to be private about following their ambitions, you must been a given a good smack on your wrists for your social media presence.

I found it strange and shall not be answering the question ..

TomHow wrote: »
    This "conversation started in 2014. Was I supposed to be commenting on this thread since then? Boards is an open forum which enables people to participate as they see fit. I was simply asking a straightforward question that required a straightforward answer.

I am sure you can understand , it is within your porogative to ask the question and it is within mine to delcine to anwer..Am sure if you have been monitoring the thread , the answer to you questions is in the thread history if you care to go back through them

Lowiz wrote: »

Have been a regular contributor to the thread so if TomHow cares to read back , he/she will find the answer to their question.....As for judging intentions..this is social media , so I do judge intentions as I dont know this individual personally...I found the question strange and its simple as that ..Wasnt rude or offence . They could have clarified as to the reason they want to know and I would have considered answering the question

• Advertisement

Is anyone going to fill us on how things went in temple more after I for 1 would really like to know as it would give the rest that are waiting an insight to it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Willm5499

I was only thinking about that today Crusher about how they got on. It would be nice to hear about the experience of the others...

Crusher82 wrote: »
    Is anyone going to fill us on how things went in temple more after I for 1 would really like to know as it would give the rest that are waiting an insight to it ...

A direction may have been given not to engage in social media with regard to the training

A direction may have been given not to engage in social media with regard to the training

That would make sence...

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Willm5499 wrote: »

You might do well to consider your own comment above.....

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

Anyone know if there’ll be another , Garda reserve recruitment soon?

Peppa Cig wrote: »

You might do well to consider your own comment above.....

??????

Ciano1997 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there’ll be another , Garda reserve recruitment soon?

As stated at a recent Police Authority meeting , all reserve recruitment has been halted until they produce the new Resereve Strategy Document due to be published in June 2019 but hopefully it will commence shortly after that as they have set a recruitment number of 2000

Have a read of this I wonder will we end up having to re apply again sounds very much like it but I hope not

Under the Garda Síochána Act 2005, the allocation and distribution of resources including the recruitment and training of Garda members and members of the Garda Reserve is entirely a matter for the Garda Commissioner and I, as Minister, have no responsibility in this matter. Garda management keeps this distribution of resources under continual review in the context of crime trends and policing priorities so as to ensure that the optimum use is made of these resources.

The Garda Reserve strength in each of the years from 2009 to 31 March 2019 , as provided by the Garda Commissioner is available on my Department’s website through the link:

www.justice.ie/en/JELR/006_Garda_Reserve_Strength_2009_to_March_2019.xlsx/Files/006_Garda_Reserve_Strength_2009_to_March_2019.xlsx.

I am informed by An Garda Síochána that a class of approximately 100 Garda reserve recruits commenced training on 23/24 March 2019 at the Garda College, Templemore. This is a positive development and delivers on the target set out under 'A Policing Service for the Future', the implementation plan for the Report of the Commission on the Future of Policing in Ireland.

As the Deputy will be aware, An Garda Síochána is currently conducting a strategic review of the Garda Reserve to inform future decisions around the use of the Reserve. This approach is in line with the recommendation in the Report of the Commission on the Future of Policing in Ireland which recommended that recruitment to the Garda Reserve be paused and a Strategy developed. The Strategy is scheduled to be concluded during quarter two 2019, in line with the timelines set out in the implementation plan and will inform the development and preparation for a new Reserve recruitment drive by the end of 2019.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭gem112

Bobby Aylward (Carlow-Kilkenny, Fianna Fail)
    Link to this: Individually | In context

On the Garda Reserve, I did not hear anyone mention it today or numbers or figures. Is Mr. Harris supportive of the Garda Reserve? Does he think it plays an important part in the system? Should its numbers be increased or kept at the current level? Is it being used as a stepping stone into An Garda Síochána?

Mr. Drew Harris:

Yes, that is correct. Serving in the Garda Reserve provides a good opportunity for those considering a career in An GardaSíochána to be exposed to what police work is like to see whether they might like it. However, beyond that we are committed to the Garda Reserve. We are committed to expanding its size and finishing work on a future strategy.

How many members are in the Garda Reserve?

Mr. Drew Harris:

There are 500 members, but we have recently recruited a further 100. Experience in other jurisdictions shows that serving in such a reserve force is a good route into policing for those who are less well represented in the main force. It allows a chance to see what the organisation is like and a route to joining it.

Does Mr. Harris have any statistic for the percentage of members who go on to join An Garda Síochána from the Garda Reserve? It is a general question.

Mr. Drew Harris:

I am not sure. Whenever I attend one of the passing out parades, a few of the new recruits have been in the Garda Reserve.

What is the target size of the Garda Reserve?

Mr. Drew Harris:

The target is to have 2,000 members. We have 500 now. We have a major recruitment plan. We see the Garda Reserve as being important in terms of visibility, especially at crucial times. That is what we want to reflect in our strategy. We can then give people certainty about when they will be required, what duties they will be required to perform and the hours we will expect them to serve in return for the training received.

Members of the Garda Reserve are mostly involved in community policing.

Mr. Drew Harris:

We envisage the Garda Reserve being very much aligned with community policing and high profile events such as sports events and concerts. It will also help in dealing with the night-time economy and community policing.

• Advertisement

Has anyone had any news from h.r about their application yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kinglong

Has anyone had any news from h.r about their application yet ?

All is on hold at the moment due to a review of the Garda Reserve which I would imagine is positive.I have all interviews done myself.

Same here, I had my last one done in August 18. I know 100 went down in March but I was just wondering if there was any sign of movement for the next batch..

Has anyone on here any news for the remaining candidates for the reserve as it's like we are being left to one side and in the dark as to where we stand ??

This may be account for by the fact that at present we are awaiting a defined strategy for the future of the Reserve service. Submissions were requested from all AGS members and a large number were supply to AGS management .We now await a review of this strategy by the Commissioner and the document to be published. In my opinion when this has been ratified , the recruitment process will begin in ernest. Remember the Government committment is to have 2000 Reserves within the coming two years

I rang the garda reserve section today in HQ & the chap said the management are waiting for the policing authority to give them the green light to continue with the competition. The training strategy the PA requested at the last meeting was finished so it's back to waiting. If I'm honest I think it's a joke for this to have been dragged out this long. I done my test & first interview in Aug 2017. Just waiting for the call to do the medical but its mental how long it's taking..

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Skynet90

It’s an absolute joke. Years waiting and it doesn’t look like there will be another class anytime soon.

At present we are awaiting the newly developed strategy for the future of the Reserve Service......A large number of submissions were forwarded to the Review committee and the Strategy Document has been forwarded to the Commissioner for approval.....Following this been implemented I would say recruiting will start in ernest ....in order to achieve the 2000 reserve targets which have been set

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Skynet90

We will 100% have to do vetting again. Such bull**** at this stage hearing nothing. There a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kinglong

Skynet90 wrote: »
    We will 100% have to do vetting again. Such bull**** at this stage hearing nothing. There a joke.

Did HR tell you this I am waiting on medical

Advertisement