Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Read Umbrella Academy; Apocalypse Suite. Meh.
    Plus, really disliked the art.

• Moderators Posts: 51,683 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Currently reading Turbo Jones.

wildcat-1-turbo-jones-9781781086650_lg.jpg

Haven't read any of the Wildcat stories since primary school so it's fun diving back into it. Art is still great and stories are enjoyable. Though I do groan at some of the points in the stories, e.g. Turbo manages to fund building of the Wildcat because luckily Loner won the Lotto and Kitty inherited money from a family member. Literally takes a panel to resolve funding problems :pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Delirium wrote: »
    Currently reading Turbo Jones.

wildcat-1-turbo-jones-9781781086650_lg.jpg

Haven't read any of the Wildcat stories since primary school so it's fun diving back into it. Art is still great and stories are enjoyable. Though I do groan at some of the points in the stories, e.g. Turbo manages to fund building of the Wildcat because luckily Loner won the Lotto and Kitty inherited money from a family member. Literally takes a panel to resolve funding problems :pac:

Have no memory of Wildcat even though it must have been out when I was about ten. This looks like fun, might pick it up, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Man they are really letting it all hang out in the Torture Garden now. The way they have done the Dark Judges is vicious. And the artwork by Nick Percival is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Has anyone read Irredeemable? Its about a Superman type called the Plutonian who goes psychotic and starts wiping out cities and his old team trying to stop him, Im hooked anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

While reading the latest issue of The Batman Who Laughs, I noticed it said it was issue 5 of 7. I was sure it was meant to be 6 so went back and saw issue 1 said it was 1 of 6.
    I see this happen a lot, so it got me wondering, do you think this is unintentional and they genuinely underestimated how many issues were needed, or do they start it out as less issues then when people are hooked they put the real number? Or maybe the writer is told to drag it out another issue.
    So is it better to believe the writer has trouble plotting a miniseries or that the company is just being dishonest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

CastorTroy wrote: »
    While reading the latest issue of The Batman Who Laughs, I noticed it said it was issue 5 of 7. I was sure it was meant to be 6 so went back and saw issue 1 said it was 1 of 6.
    I see this happen a lot, so it got me wondering, do you think this is unintentional and they genuinely underestimated how many issues were needed, or do they start it out as less issues then when people are hooked they put the real number? Or maybe the writer is told to drag it out another issue.
    So is it better to believe the writer has trouble plotting a miniseries or that the company is just being dishonest?

Given the popularity of The Batman Who Laughs character I'd say its DC wanting one more issue and there was also The Grim Knight tie-in one shot as well that is part of the series between issues #3 and #4 of The Batman Who Laughs so a 6 issue series became an 8 issue series

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

The excuse I've seen in these situations is that the outline was for say 6 issues but when it came to writing it, the writer felt they could do with more space for the story. I'm sure that it's only the financially successful series that are allowed the extra space.

Of course, you have situations like the original run of Transformers that was 88 issues of a 4 issue limited series...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Ridley

Marvel 2-in-One 1: Fate of the Four
    Marvel 2-in-One 2: Next of Kin
    Fantastic Four 1: Fourever - Zdarsky should be writing the main FF book cause Slott's run, at least based on the first volume, feels like the FF never left in a bad way and it's silly that Zdarksy's book had to make way for it. Hopefully it gets better as Slott is better than this and I'd rather not wait for the MCU to go "Here FF's sake, do it properly".

Uncanny Avengers 4: Red Skull

Avengers: Unleashed 1: Kang War One
    Avengers: Unleashed 2: Secret Empire

Star Wars: Poe Dameron 1: Black Squadron -Enjoyed it, Marvel Star Wars finally seems to be moving out of original trilogy nostalgia (even if this series leads into Force Awakens, the original trilogy in one film wink.png ).

Dragon Ball Super 4 - majinBoo potara earring fusion retcon majinboo.

Dragon Ball: That Time I Was Reincarnated as Yamcha - Apparently reincarnation gimmicks are a thing. Nice bit of fun as a one-off. The idea that Yamcha cheated on Bulma has never seemed credible, much more likely that it was the other way around or she thought he was. Also could have without the lead deciding he can use his powers to lift skirts.

Samurai Jack: Quantum Jack - Terrible title but Jack does Quantum Leap more as framing device for alternative universe stories.

Assassin's Creed Uprising 1: Common Ground
    Assassin's Creed Uprising 2: Inflection Point
    Assassin's Creed Uprising 3: Finale - Worthwhile conclusion to Titan's ongoings and modern day storyline of the games. I appreciate that most gamers don't even finish games, and an even smaller number will have played every Assassin's Creed game from the start of the series, and then of those you have the people that don't even like the modern day sections anyway, and this medium allows more depth than a game would allow, it's still a snub to tell people who have followed the story for ten years to go off and get the ending in another format.

Mouse Guard: Fall 1152* - Needs to be read as physical picture book, I think. Not that I'm going to, just seems reading it off a screen with an Xbox controller isn't the best way to appreciate it. I am an adult.

The StoryTeller* - Nice anthology of fairy tales and variety of art styles based on the Jim Henson series which I recently got around to watching properly thanks to Gaiman's name being attached to a TV reboot and my dealing with the childhood trauma of seeing Hans My Hedgehog. I do wish the Storyteller was more involved in the... storytelling in most of them like he is in the show. The last story is adapted from an unused script of the TV series and you can see the difference in ambition.

*Digital version

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Sandman. Really good so far.

Also got the first two volumes of the newer Amazing Spider-Man. The art is great but it's way too much like Invincible. Peter is basically Mark with brown hair. MJ is pretty much Atom Eve with different earrings. Even had cameos from Amber as Saved Pregnant Lady. It's good, just a bit off putting and pulls me out of the comic a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Finished the Walking Dead this morning :( really annoyed me the 2nd last issue and you'll all know when you read it

After the ending of Leviathan, I was just thinking I've lost interest in reading a lot of DC and Marvel comics, so may just stop at the end of current arcs. Finish Doomsday Clock and the Year of the Villain/Justice League stuff. Squirrel Girl is now finished as well so may just keep Runaways though even that is losing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I gave up buying comics recently due to getting let down on the ones I was collecting and the storylines being worse than an Iris driven episode of The Flash. That Leviathan was horrible Bendis ISA crap storyteller.

X-Men house and powers of X were crap just too much money I'd rather save.

I've tried a few different X book number 1s and none clicked.
    Green Lantern is one comic I've read for a long time and now I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

The Batman City of Bane thing
    had a big character death and I pretty much forgot about it right away until I saw there was an issue coming up that was going to have a funeral or something for them

So outside of DC and Marvel, what are good comics to read?

I may just go back and read old Graphic Novels or maybe just books.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

So outside of DC and Marvel, what are good comics to read?

Outside of the big 2, I've really enjoyed Monstress, Oblivion Song, Saga and the Wicked+ Divine.

Once and Future from Kieron Gillen is 3 issues in and looking promising. Really turns the Arthurian mythos on its head.

On the Marvel side, recently read Dan Abnett's run on Nova. Set after the Annihilation event, it was a good space adventure that kept me hooked. Character develops well across the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I've tried a few different X book number 1s and none clicked.
    Green Lantern is one comic I've read for a long time and now I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

For me, it started going weird around Godhead. The newer Green Lanterns was fairly good, and the Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps was good, if not great. I've not read the newer series yet, waiting for a collected volume to go on sale.

Grant Morrison weird wonderful and crazy stuff that loses its flair very quickly. Space opera western with a stink of David Lynch all over it

Moon Knight by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev 1*
    Moon Knight by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev 2*
    Uncanny X-Men 2: Broken*
    Uncanny X-Men 3: The Good, The Bad, The Inhuman*
    Uncanny X-Men 4: Vs. SHIELD*
    Uncanny X-Men 5: The Omega Mutant*
    Uncanny X-Men 6: Storyville*

That's a lot of two-page spreads. tongue.png The more interesting thing on the X-Men side is off-hand mention that the general public won't make a distinction between an Inhuman or mutant attack but the series doesn't want to explore that.

Uncanny X-Men/Iron Man/Nova: No End In Sight* - Certainly felt like it! It's X-Men w/ Iron Man featuring Nova, really. And it's cosmic X-Men which means I'm going to push against it cause more often than not I don't get on with X-Men in space stories. To copy paste the house to Astonish review: "
    The X-Men get their win, in as much as they track Cyclops down and rescue him. But the wider story notionally ends simply with the guy who put the bounty on Havok’s head turning out to be a very old man who dies when he falls over while trying to reach a high shelf.
    " It's supposed to be unsatisfying part of a wider musing about comic characters not getting a resolution unless they're fortunate enough to stay dead, though it's probably the intention to be more make-u-think than the chore to get through that it was for me.

Fantastic Four Omnibus by John Byrne 2 - Been reading this thing shulk on and off for years. Had to laugh when Reed Richards, who is the worst, died, his wife just gets on with leading the team instead: when every other member is killed - has to be on a list of tropes that FF writers tick off when they take over the book (like mentioning sight to the blind Alicia Masters who is without the ability to see) - there's been a period of mourning. It's one shulk that Nick Fury can tell when they've travelled back to '30s New York, it's another that he tell it's specifically 1936. So he of course decides he should assassinate Hitler. Well, that's going to mess with the timeline so of course the FF needs to stop that. Lucky that Ben Grimm, who has long been replaced by She-Hulk, isn't around to offer an opinion the matter. They also bring along a black guy whose life they saved just in case he was supposed to die so kidnapping him and heading off to Nazi Germany makes total sense to avoid his survival affecting the future.
    They're in his coma and Richards is alive in a messy resolution, unfortunately.

Book also includes Sue Storm's turn as Malice and that one-shot where a kid accidentally burns himself to death to be like his hero following a dodgy neighbour poorly chosen words. And so Johnny Storm feels bad for... the rest of the issue. After I read it, I did wonder if "Hero" took influence from Roger Stern's "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man" from a couple of years earlier but couldn't really find a more overt connection then the omnibus just happens to include a Byrne Marvel Age interview in the extras where he references the issue as one that impacted him with regards to a question about what makes a good comic. Human Torch is still better than Spider-Man, obviously.

I did enjoy the book, in particular one panel where She-Hulk's arm and foot are stuck in an expanding energy field so she saves Tigra, trying to pull her out, by booting her out of the way of it. I don't think the "Scat cat!" and image of an orange cat woman tumbling towards the 'camera' would work if if the writer and artist weren't the same guy. Lot of memorable moments.

It is another run where Byrne just stops working on it rather than bring it to a close. One joke from the omnibus which isn't his that everyone should remember: "I am Uatu. Men call me the Watcher. Women call me Peeping Uatu.

Superman: The Man of Steel 3*

tumblr_ollpor1kXq1qgsk2ao1_500.jpg

Star Wars: Age of Republic - Heroes
    Star Wars: Age of Republic - Villains
    Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Heroes
    Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Villains

Flash Gordon on the Planet Mongo - Takes about a year for Alex Raymond to realise doing it more photorealistically is the way to go at which point the strips become a better read. Tad funny that Raymond rewrites events from the first strip in the second so Gordon's more heroic.

This is the only good picture of Dale Arden, an otherwise useless character.

Dragon Ball Super 5
    Dragon Ball Super 6

The Power of the Dark Crystal 1*
    The Power of the Dark Crystal 2*
    The Power of the Dark Crystal 3*

The script really wants the Skeksis, more specifically the Chamberlain, in this sequel to the film but the story doesn't.

*Digital version

Ridley wrote: »
    Moon Knight by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev 1*
    Moon Knight by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev 2*

What was your take on these? It's either these or FF by Hickman next on the reading list.

Finished up Letter 44 last week. The series kept me hooked for 35 issues just to find out what happens next. Dipped a bit roughly half way through but curiosity meant I stuck with it. Ending was worth it (IMO).

Jayd0g wrote: »
    What was your take on these? It's either these or FF by Hickman next on the reading list.

Well, Moon Knight's a quicker read. Twelve issues compared to stuff going on in Hickman's FF run which will continue through Avengers books and pay-off in Secret Wars.

Moon Knight's fine. Juggling his split personality while being an Avenger where a superhero presence isn't the norm (not New York, basically) but I haven't read enough Moon Knight to have much of an opinion. He's supposed to be taking on something out of his comfort zone so and yet he's the resurrected avatar of the Egyptian moon god. ;)

• Advertisement

Rereading Doomsday Clock for this week it finally ends can't wait to see how they **** this up ;)

Well, Moon Knight's a quicker read. Twelve issues compared to stuff going on in Hickman's FF run which will continue through Avengers books and pay-off in Secret Wars.

Moon Knight's fine. Juggling his split personality while being an Avenger where a superhero presence isn't the norm (not New York, basically) but I haven't read enough Moon Knight to have much of an opinion. He's supposed to be taking on something out of his comfort zone so and yet he's the resurrected avatar of the Egyptian moon god. ;)

Thanks, think I'll go with FF for the holiday season :)

Very out of date on Avengers and Marvel events in general, may line up Secret Wars for after.

Jayd0g wrote: »
    Thanks, think I'll go with FF for the holiday season :)

Very out of date on Avengers and Marvel events in general, may line up Secret Wars for after.

If you want an intimidating reading order: https://www.comicbookherald.com/jonathan-hickman-marvel-universe-reading-order-2008-to-2016/

I got on fine going from Fantastic Four/FF to Avengers/New Avengers (the latter more an Illuminati book) to Secret Wars.

If you want an intimidating reading order: https://www.comicbookherald.com/jonathan-hickman-marvel-universe-reading-order-2008-to-2016/

I got on fine going from Fantastic Four/FF to Avengers/New Avengers (the latter more an Illuminati book) to Secret Wars.

Thanks!

There's a few on that just I hadn't even heard of!

Rereading Doomsday Clock for this week it finally ends can't wait to see how they **** this up ;)

By starting the comic in the first place? By having a really long gap between issues?
    I'm still a bit confused as to whether it's canon or not

Dr Manhattan could make it canon the 1989 batman symbol has me very confused as to what's actually real or not in this whole storyline.

Well considering the whole thing was first teased by the button a while back implied watchmen existed. Then was it the same miniseries where the Injustice League or someone was apparently killed by Dr. Manhattan? I'm just trying to remember off the top of my head so can't remember all the details.

Maybe they changed their minds with the whole setup. Just like how we're still waiting on the 3 Jokers storyline

It's very very VEEERRRRRY strange to say the least my friendly neighborhood comic book seller advised me to read all 12 in one sitting as it may make sense of it all but the story conclusion is ??? crazy confusion. I'm gonna go through it again later if I can.

25 months is bloody excruciating for a comic arc don't think I'll bother again gonna wait for trade paperback from now on.

It stinks of ENDGAME more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Nimona, by Noelle Stevenson. A little gem, in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭KayJay86

Had been reading through the original 90s X-Force run and came across the X-Cutioner's Song crossover with X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, and X-Factor. I understand why people at the time were disappointed with the series because it didn't really resolve Cable's origins but I thought taking it aside the series was excellent. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to continuing through X-Force and starting Cable #1 when the timelines match up. Its about 12 issues across the 4 titles and I recommend it to anyone looking a bit of old school mutant war.

For anyone interested in the reading order:
    Uncanny #294
    X-Factor #84
    X-Men #14
    X-Force #16
    Uncanny #295
    X-Factor #85
    X-Men #15
    X-Force #17
    Uncanny #296
    X-Factor #86
    X-Men #16