Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Adding a learner onto an existing policy.

• 08-05-2019 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭

So, basically, I'm 20 and starting to get a bit hounded when it comes to driving. "When are you starting?" questions every few weeks essentially. Anyway, I keep getting told that I could go as a second driver of my mother's car at no extra cost while I learn. Now, I'm almost entirely certain (in the 99% range) that that is utter...crap, and that it would more than likely shoot my mother's premium through the roof.

Personally, I am close to no interest in owning a car. I have a bike that gets used any time the bus or Luas doesn't cut it for me. I've been in a bit of a mental hole these past few months so I think it would be helpful to have as a goal. I've read on here about Aviva's six month thing, but my mother's policy isn't with Aviva so I think that renders that null and void.

Questions; is the "no extra cost" thing utter crap? what's the cheapest way for someone to get learner insurance if they don't want their own car?

Cheers (y)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

I would imagine being as a named driver/second driver would increase your Mam's payments but if you contact her insurer you would get a definitive answer.

Just as an aside, yes your bicycle might be fine for now but after you graduate from college (assuming you are in college), you will be expected to be able to drive by most employers. Not being able to drive leads to being 'stuck' in a lot of scenarios (not being able to live exactly where you want, relying on lifts and a terrible public transport system etc.). I would encourage you to get driving while your young!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Qrt wrote: »
    So, basically, I'm 20 and starting to get a bit hounded when it comes to driving. "When are you starting?" questions every few weeks essentially. Anyway, I keep getting told that I could go as a second driver of my mother's car at no extra cost while I learn. Now, I'm almost entirely certain (in the 99% range) that that is utter...crap, and that it would more than likely shoot my mother's premium through the roof.

Personally, I am close to no interest in owning a car. I have a bike that gets used any time the bus or Luas doesn't cut it for me. I've been in a bit of a mental hole these past few months so I think it would be helpful to have as a goal. I've read on here about Aviva's six month thing, but my mother's policy isn't with Aviva so I think that renders that null and void.

Questions; is the "no extra cost" thing utter crap? what's the cheapest way for someone to get learner insurance if they don't want their own car?

Cheers (y)

No extra cost is incorrect but not that expensive, it is the cheapest way.

But It is actually surprisingly cheap to add a driver like yourself.

A few nights out would cost way more.

Not driving is I feel bad for ones mental health, personally speaking.

Even if you don't get a car for a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Qrt wrote: »
    Anyway, I keep getting told that I could go as a second driver of my mother's car at no extra cost while I learn. Now, I'm almost entirely certain (in the 99% range) that that is utter...crap, and that it would more than likely shoot my mother's premium through the roof.

Cheers (y)

You're right, that is 'crap' advice. Nothing for free here. Aviva'a is reasonable, but we paid €1100 for 7 months as a named driver, pre-test, for my 19 yr old daughter on a 1.2 Clio.

Danzy wrote: »

But It is actually surprisingly cheap to add a driver like yourself.

A few nights out would cost way more.

Not driving is I feel bad for ones mental health, personally speaking.

Even if you don't get a car for a decade.

'Not that expensive' ??....my 19 yr old, as a named driver, with a full licence, on a 1.2 Clio added €1,500 to my wife's policy.

There are no 'free' named driver policies.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

never_mind wrote: »
    I would imagine being as a named driver/second driver would increase your Mam's payments but if you contact her insurer you would get a definitive answer.

Just as an aside, yes your bicycle might be fine for now but after you graduate from college (assuming you are in college), you will be expected to be able to drive by most employers. Not being able to drive leads to being 'stuck' in a lot of scenarios (not being able to live exactly where you want, relying on lifts and a terrible public transport system etc.). I would encourage you to get driving while your young!

I don’t see how you would be expected to drive by most employers unless your looking for a job that specifically involves driving such as sales etc.

From a Dublin perspective, the majority of people who work in offices 9 to 5 etc would use public transport even if they own a car as parking is too expensive

Anyways, OP as someone who started driving at 17 I would recommend it for convienience etc however, I’m currently teaching my girlfriend how to drive and she didn’t realize how big of a commitment it is (financial costs aside) you need to be practicing a few hours every week and have a fully licensed driver who’s willing to help you, just bear that in mind if your only taking it up to appease other people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

galwaytt wrote: »
    You're right, that is 'crap' advice. Nothing for free here. Aviva'a is reasonable, but we paid €1100 for 7 months as a named driver, pre-test, for my 19 yr old daughter on a 1.2 Clio.

'Not that expensive' ??....my 19 yr old, as a named driver, with a full licence, on a 1.2 Clio added €1,500 to my wife's policy.

you might not have been familiar with this offering that's on offer there a few years.

Since you have to get the lessons anyway as they are mandatory its basically free.

https://www.aviva.ie/lessons/driving-school/accompanied-driver-cover/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Danzy wrote: »
    It's all relative.
    The insurance quotes are based usually on the perceived risk.
    In other words the least experienced driver on the Learner Permit.
    This is expensive.

This figure is then reduced based on the percentage NCB of the Main Driver.
    I paid a lot more than galwaytt did but I had 2 with learner permits at the same time for a while on a bigger car.

Still a lot of money but most parents take the hit to allow their children to build up experience and get a full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

As above - when my renewal was due I switched to aviva at no extra cost - paid for 13 lessons for my daughter and while she's a learner she has 6 months free cover

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

As above - when my renewal was due I switched to aviva at no extra cost - paid for 13 lessons for my daughter and while she's a learner she has 6 months free cover

Did this also. Its really a no brainer. They did try to shaft me for the 2nd 6 months but I got it for @350. Ending was,he passed his test and his first insurance in his own name fully comp was €800 ish. Last year was €500 ish(21years old).
    Renewal due again in July, fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

galwaytt wrote:

I put a named driver on a policy and it reduced the premium.

Liberty insurance are ideal for this.

I save about 15% on my premium every year for having my Parents as named drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

flexcon wrote: »
    Liberty insurance are ideal for this.

I save about 15% on my premium every year for having my Parents as named drivers.
    Sounds good, but in the event of a claim on your policy are their policy renewals also going to be affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Sounds good, but in the event of a claim on your policy are their policy renewals also going to be affected?

Unless they are the ones driving at the time of the accident or the policy is in their name, then they do not need to declare it to their own or prospective insurers.

Just redid a policy last night for a friend.

Baseline policy with Liberty was: €1,221.60

Added Me as a named driver: €1,096.10
    Changed where the car is kept 4
    nights a week to her work
    (which is true as no on-street parking)

Price came in at €932.70

Just by adding her friend, and making sure to avail of discounts means she saved 27%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭zg3409

Firstly have you completed the theory test and got your provisional licence? You need that before you start and the earlier you get it the cheaper your insurance long term. You also need to pay for official lessons typically in a driving instructors car, although you might do some in parents car. Some people recommend a mix of both intertwined.

Now on to insurance, in instructors car you don't need yours. In parents you need L plates, a qualified driver with you and insurance. Aviva's driving lesson cover may be the way to go, or shop around and switch parents policy. It won't be free and you need to minimise costs. You need a goal and deadline say 6 months to pass test with minimum of 3 hours driving each week with applying for test after 3 months driving if instructor says you should.

Once you get the test you have it for life and you may end up in a job with a free company car or a job with no public transport options. (E.g. night shift).

If you pass sooner rather than later then costs to insure are minimised. The longer you have your licence the cheaper it is to insure yourself on a car later, even if you are not on any policy for years.

A side note with covit you may not be able to do theory test, lessons nor the actual driving test, so don't pay for insurance until you know you can do a test, and there will be a backlog. Summer is ideal to learn as dark at 5pm rainy winter days are not ideal

Thats not adding a young learner on a learner permit, so not the same thing.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Just redid a policy last night for a friend.

Baseline policy with Liberty was: €1,221.60

Added Me as a named driver: €1,096.10
    Changed where the car is kept 4
    nights a week to her work
    (which is true as no on-street parking)

Price came in at €932.70

Just by adding her friend, and making sure to avail of discounts means she saved 27%

Youre adding a friend with a licence- try doing it with a learner....

Ode To The Motorist

Youre adding a friend with a licence- try doing it with a learner....

true. I was responding to your original statement that there is no such thing a free "named driver".I have already contributed showing Aviva does offer FREE coverage for a learner license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Not a learner though

true. I was responding to your original statement that there is no such thing a free "named driver".I have already contributed showing Aviva does offer FREE coverage for a learner license.

well, it's not actually 'free' - just that it's bundled in with the lessons.

My eldest has just done that, and we did the 2 x Aviva packages before she progressed to her own policy (not with Aviva, ironically, as they wouldn't quote her at all, despite she being a named driver with them as well, and 2 years on the road AND her full licence.......)

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

My eldest has just done that, and we did the 2 x Aviva packages before she progressed to her own policy (not with Aviva, ironically, as they wouldn't quote her at all, despite she being a named driver with them as well, and 2 years on the road AND her full licence.......)[/quote]

We did exactly the same and then had to get insurance with AXA once she passed as Aviva wouldn’t insure her as she didn’t have insurance in her own name for at least a year........

• Advertisement

My eldest has just done that, and we did the 2 x Aviva packages before she progressed to her own policy (not with Aviva, ironically, as they wouldn't quote her at all, despite she being a named driver with them as well, and 2 years on the road AND her full licence.......)
    We did exactly the same and then had to get insurance with AXA once she passed as Aviva wouldn’t insure her as she didn’t have insurance in her own name for at least a year........

Indeed, ours ended up with Liberty.

There is a story behind that process too, but for another day.

Ode To The Motorist

well, it's not actually 'free' - just that it's bundled in with the lessons.

Ok so to specific its €100 net for 6 months.

Aviva offer:

550 euros for 10 lessons and insurance is free for 6 months. 55euro a lesson

Anyone else:

45 euro a lesson. Approx €100 in the difference OR €100 for insurance for 6 months for a baby driver

Edit: That;s crazy. My brother had the same issue. They wouldnt insurnace him seperatly on his policy when the 6 months was up. It was a very awkward call.

it is crazy: the offer for lessons and as a package is very constructive, you would think from a business point of view that having 'trained' those drivers, and covered them whilst driving in the interim, that they'd want to convert them into regular customers ??

Weird logic.

Ode To The Motorist

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not a learner though

No but she was still a ****e driver :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

it is crazy: the offer for lessons and as a package is very constructive, you would think from a business point of view that having 'trained' those drivers, and covered them whilst driving in the interim, that they'd want to convert them into regular customers ??

Weird logic.

I would hazard a guess that it's mainly to do with the 'Mobile Billboards'. They not only directly relate to motoring, but are also subliminally telling us that Aviva are great for Learners, Road Safety, Expert Drivers (Instructors), etc.
    Pity that so many of them use Opels...... For me that just fecks up their image :D

Advertisement