Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming an SNA through the Progressive College-any advice/opinions?

• 26-04-2019 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi there, I hope this is the right place to put this!

I had been studying ECCE at university but was finding the course hard and hated uni life but so left halfway though First Year at the end of January.

I still want to work with children but the idea of a full-time academic course doesn’t appeal to me so ideally I’d do an apprenticeship but since there aren’t any childcare/early years/teaching assistant apprenticeships in Ireland, I’ve decided that maybe I could do a short Level 6 SNA course, and came across one by the Progressive College that can be either completed across 12 Saturdays or one intensive week and has no formal entry requirements.

So I was just wondering is the Progressive College and its courses reputable and worthwhile and would they help me to get a job as a SNA/ classroom assistant? I’m not complaining but it seems to be a very quick way of getting a Level 6 qualification compared to other places and I had never heard of that college so would want to be sure that I’d be doing a worthwhile and recognised course and that it would help me to get a job.

https://progressivecollege.ie/course/special-needs-assistant-training-qqi-level-6/

And would I have to source my own work placement for it or would that be imbedded into it?

And what is the general duties, day-to-day life and pay for SNAs like?

And just in general, is there any such thing as general classroom/teaching assistants in Ireland that just help out with the day-to-day running of the class and groups of people rather than just working with individual people or small groups of people? The classroom/ teaching assistants in the UK seem to be more general classroom helps so was just wondering was there anything similar here in Ireland?

Sorry for the long enquiry, I just want to make sure that I’m fully informed about everything involved with this and go about it in the best way!

Advertisement