Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

R. T. E. Weather report of the UK

• 01-02-2019 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Is it just me or does anyone else notice R. T. E coverage of the weather in the UK. Sky news does not cover our weather and even on the weather forecast before the hourly news, it covers the UK Inc Northern Ireland, but has a very visible line separating Eire and the UK. Yet, i look at rte news and all i can see is weather reports from around the UK Inc footage and photos and not a thing about Ireland. I thought we had snow here at the moment but could be wrong, if anyone out there could advise me differently it would be appreciated, oh some photos would be great too. Really getting tired of RTE.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Well, look at UK politics at the moment.

Ireland's outward looking the UK is very much inward looking.

It's hardly surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kavanaghdk

I have been following brexit from the beginning, and needless to say it is quite the circus, but when i switch to rte news, it is all about what is going on with the weather in the UK but not in Ireland.

And you are dead right, it is hardly surprising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Kavanaghdk wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else notice R. T. E coverage of the weather in the UK. Sky news does not cover our weather and even on the weather forecast before the hourly news, it covers the UK Inc Northern Ireland, but has a very visible line separating Eire and the UK. Yet, i look at rte news and all i can see is weather reports from around the UK Inc footage and photos and not a thing about Ireland. I thought we had snow here at the moment but could be wrong, if anyone out there could advise me differently it would be appreciated, oh some photos would be great too. Really getting tired of RTE.

Change channel then. Try TG4 if that's your wont?

We are an island nation. We look outwards as well as inwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What the feck are you on about? RTE news covered the freeze in north American should they have not done so?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The BBC have always completely ignored the Republic Of Ireland when presenting the weather.We don't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

The BBC have always completely ignored the Republic Of Ireland when presenting the weather.We don't exist.

If the BBC did cover Ireland's weather you would get some Irish people saying"what are them Brits showing Ireland's weather for? they think we are still part of the UK"

Can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kavanaghdk

alan1963 wrote: »
    If the BBC did cover Ireland's weather you would get some Irish people saying"what are them Brits showing Ireland's weather for? they think we are still part of the UK"

Can't win.

As i said in the description, why rte are not giving us coverage from around Ireland about the weather, not about forecasts here or anywhere else, and as a previous Post just said, try switching to tg4, but he miss read the description. It was not where i can get the weather, because as everyone knows, you can get a forecast anywhere, and I'm sure tg4 is a wonderful station but i do not speak fluent Irish.
    Again my question was why rte show coverage of the UK and not Ireland, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Kavanaghdk wrote: »
    As i said in the description, why rte are not giving us coverage from around Ireland about the weather, not about forecasts here or anywhere else, and as a previous Post just said, try switching to tg4, but he miss read the description. It was not where i can get the weather, because as everyone knows, you can get a forecast anywhere, and I'm sure tg4 is a wonderful station but i do not speak fluent Irish.
    Again my question was why rte show coverage of the UK and not Ireland, simple as.

I think you are thinking of news coverage rather than of actual weather reports.

RTÉ, Virgin Media and TG4 all provide weather reports (and as a non-fluent Irish speaker) TG4 tend to get it right (but afaik they don't take the info from Met Éireann).

UK's (and US's) bad weather is always reported, RTÉ seem to have no real relationship with other broadcasters. The polar vortex surely exists in Canada or CBC would have something to say about it.

As for outward looking, I'd say our outlook is a bubble of English speaking countries where only England and Washington DC exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

alan1963 wrote: »

Can't win.

Sky have been covering our weather for a long time.Francis Wilson,when he was with Sky was the first to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Sky News do cover Irish weather and also have a correspondent full-time in Dublin these days too for news.

Sky consider the Republic of Ireland as part of their core audience though. BBC get royalties from Sky and Virgin Media to carry BBC 1 and 2 but just treat us as accidental overspill, which isn't the case anymore. They make good money out of being carried here

• Advertisement
Advertisement