Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grand Tour [Amazon]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In fairness it wont rival Diet Top Gear, as its a world wide online broadcast on a different plain of existence to BBC UK.

Its exciting stuff though, potentially limitless budgets. They could literally end up racing space ships. It will need many new dimensions to have worldwide appeal though, no more British carvanning p1ss takes and Vauxhall lap times. Probably a lot more of the multi episode adventures.

Chris Evans has begun hiring some of the Big Breakfast / TFIF producers for Diet Top Gear, that should make for some very switch-offable telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

great news

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not great news. Top Gear ended when the last episode of the last season ended. The one with May and Hammond as far as I am concerned. I will not watch either of these new shows live. Will not watch the one thats going be online at all as have no interest in watching programs or films online. Its a horrible way to watch something.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

AMKC wrote: »
    Not great news. Top Gear ended when the last episode of the last season ended. The one with May and Hammond as far as I am concerned. I will not watch either of these new shows live. Will not watch the one thats going be online at all as have no interest in watching programs or films online. Its a horrible way to watch something.

Ah you can watch most stuff through streaming or media boxes directly to your TV so that wouldn't bother me so much.

Amazon Prime though doesn't have the same universal reach as Netflix so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Amazon Instant Video is available in 5 countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Would have to assume this will coincide with a big rollout to other countries

Unless of course Amazon have plans on selling it to broadcasters around the world.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That may well be the case. But the BBC have a massive overseas distribution network and 50 or so years experience of overseas sales. Now arguably Clarkson, Hammond, and May sell themselves, but Amazon have no experience in wholesale television distribution. The most I think they've done so far is sell back to the BBC rights to a show the BBC had originally commissioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Amazon have huge plans afoot - signing up the likes of Woody Allen and Ridley Scott to direct drama series tells us they are not messing about, I imagine they'll be a few more prestige signings in the next 6 months and Amazon prime will be rolled out across all major markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Amazon have huge plans afoot - signing up the likes of Woody Allen and Ridley Scott to direct drama series tells us they are not messing about, I imagine they'll be a few more prestige signings in the next 6 months and Amazon prime will be rolled out across all major markets.

Perhaps, but will Ireland count as a major market?

• Advertisement

We were one of the first to get Netflix in Europe so hopefully.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Netflix however buy UK & Ireland rights together, a la most satellite stations and Channel 4 - Netflix Ireland is Netflix UK, for most intents and purposes. Amazon seem to be taking the Channel 5/ITV approach and not buying Irish rights (or worse still, are buying Irish rights but not broadcasting the shows in Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭MillField

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

colmulhall wrote: »

What do they usually get when they were with BBC?

They'd have been lucky to have 5-6m for a series of 8 hours including a special I'd say.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭mike2084

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The race is on....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭mike2084

Meanwhile the Argentina saga will not go away...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2114424

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

^^^ That was still far better than the "new" Top Gear trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

So it's going to be called "The Grand Tour", a poor name it sounds like a christmas special dvd...

GT_LandingPage_Header._V272879589_.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah, not a good name at all. It probably lines up with the format of the show in that they tour around the world or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Yeah, not a good name at all. It probably lines up with the format of the show in that they tour around the world or something.

A different country per episode sort of thing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Looks that way alright.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36267294

So presumably no power laps, for starters, which I think may even be a BBC copyright (or similar)

So this may well be quite a big departure from Top Gear, while Top Gear looks like continuing with the old format.

Interesting times.

The Grand Tour is going to be like a series of TG specials essentially as far as I can see, with some "local colour" features probably before and after the main dish.

They better have a FTA deal so those of us with low-fi broadband can watch at some point later.

Few more details here - the first episode will have the Ferrari v McLaren v Porsche line-up they tried to get for Top Gear, but failed.

A decent coup to start off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 paul68

I'm looking forward to seeing the 3 lads back, i'd imagine its pretty much going to be more or less the same to top gear with a different name of course still should be worth a watch when it airs.

paul68 wrote: »
    i'd imagine its pretty much going to be more or less the same to top gear with a different name
    Not so sure it will be. Similar, for sure, but not the same.

No STIG. No SIARPC. Maybe no power laps or celebrity laps. No cool wall (wasn't used the last few series anyway - but just gives an idea of what the BBC have copyright over).

SIARPC was a way of bringing the show back to the studio and the audience in between films (as was the news) - presumably something will have to take its place. Maybe more audience interaction like at the live shows? More presenter chat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'd be happy with a season of what we used to call 'specials'. The studio thing became so very stale & overtly scripted. The SIARPC segment was nearly always awful, & I won't miss that at all. Just get them out across different countries, on some great roads, in some great cars, & let the adventuring begin.

Advertisement