Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer Science and Business Trinity College Dublin

• 21-03-2015 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,
    I am thinking about this course for next year because i have a huge passion for business and all things related. I am however looking at this course because it is obviously what employers are looking for and seems cool enough but i am wondering if i will be able for it. I am currently doing HL maths for the L.C and find it hard just like everybody else and am wondering if i am wasting my time at this course if my Maths is no A standard .

Is their anybody doing this course that could tell me if its difficult or not?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

karl10 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am thinking about this course for next year because i have a huge passion for business and all things related. I am however looking at this course because it is obviously what employers are looking for and seems cool enough but i am wondering if i will be able for it. I am currently doing HL maths for the L.C and find it hard just like everybody else and am wondering if i am wasting my time at this course if my Maths is no A standard .

Is their anybody doing this course that could tell me if its difficult or not?
    Thanks

I'm not doing it but it was my second choice last year. The main thing I found is that it is computer science with a bit of business rather than the other way around. A real desire to study computer science is necessary because the CS aspect will take up so much of your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Dante

The course is not overly math-based per se, rather it requires a fair bit of problem solving as do all programming-based courses.

There is a general Maths module in first year which in my day consisted of matrices, induction and an introduction Boolean, and another Statistical Analysis module which was somewhat calculation-intensive - nothing too crazy. There are a few other math-based modules through the years for in both the business and CS sides, most optional, but I certainly don't think an A-standard of maths is a necessity for the course, whats more important is showing some sort of interest in the course content.

The main challenge for a lot of people in my first year year was getting up to speed with the computer-science side of the course and developing that problem-solving mindset needed for programming. Everything is taught from scratch however with no prior knowledge of any programming languages required, so provided you put in a bit of work it shouldn't be particularly difficult.

Advertisement