Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android: Netrunner LCG (FantasyFlightGames)

Options
  • 13-03-2015 7:10pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so it's not a CCG (thankfully).

So I used to play alot of CCGs in my younger days. Star Trek, Lord of The Rings, WWE Raw deal and dabbled in about half a dozen more.

Haven't played any games since 2009. Life moved on, promotions, saving, weddings etc etc...

And then along comes Netrunner. An LCG, not a CCG, meaning no more spending hundreds every few months on blind boxes that do not guarantee the cards you actually want.

A fantastic game in it's own right, you can simply buy a core set and pick up whichever data packs suit your preferred identity.

Every month, a new data pack arrives and contains 3 copies of the 20 new cards. No messing about.

If you want a taste, here is a fantastic tutorial from the makers...

It's also in the top 10 games ever on boardgamegeek.

So, fellow boardsies, who else is playing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

I know there was a very active playgroup in Dublin at one stage, I've played it a couple of times and thought it was good but a bit difficult to just sit down and play for a beginner. I got the Star Wars LCG a while back myself, I enjoyed it but haven't played in ages.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Twigster wrote: »
    I know there was a very active playgroup in Dublin at one stage, I've played it a couple of times and thought it was good but a bit difficult to just sit down and play for a beginner. I got the Star Wars LCG a while back myself, I enjoyed it but haven't played in ages.

It took me about a dozen games to get things down but I'm quite confident in it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Inoise nbn ftw!! Strong scene in cork probably the best group of players in the country. Strong scene in dublin and kilkenny too. Gamers world is having a store championship sunday week if anyone is interested in going.

It does have a steep learning curve but it can be made easier by playing only core set and as the ultimate beginner repeatidly only play corp till you have the basics nailed then swap to runner. One of the most rewarding card games ive played

Inoise nbn ftw!! Strong scene in cork probably the best group of players in the country. Strong scene in dublin and kilkenny too. Gamers world is having a store championship sunday week if anyone is interested in going.

It does have a steep learning curve but it can be made easier by playing only core set and as the ultimate beginner repeatidly only play corp till you have the basics nailed then swap to runner. One of the most rewarding card games ive played

Pretty sure I'll be attending it just to get some tournament XP - already went to an event in Galway and went 4-6 which was pretty decent. Have only played about 25-30 games in total so want to expose myself to as many strategies as possible.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Pretty sure I'll be attending it just to get some tournament XP - already went to an event in Galway and went 4-6 which was pretty decent. Have only played about 25-30 games in total so want to expose myself to as many strategies as possible.

did you manage to get your hands on creation and control expansion? it'll be good to see some new faces at netrunner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Sean Power

Strong scene in cork probably the best group of players in the country.

Whereabouts in Cork would it be played?

Sean Power wrote: »

Couldnt tell you but a group of 4-5 lads travel like mad for tournaments. There is a netrunner ireland facebook and website that would be a good place to askm

Sean Power wrote: »

If you facebook netrunner ireland, you'll find everyone there. From what I hear, Cork have the best players so you'll learn fast.
    did you manage to get your hands on creation and control expansion? it'll be good to see some new faces at netrunner!

It's on the way from bookdepository.

how goes your experience FG?? Have you purchased much more of the sets?

how goes your experience FG?? Have you purchased much more of the sets?

I have all the cards now. It's a great game and I'm improving all the time. Last tournament result was 12th from 30 players at the Irish Regionals - one win away from top 8 knockouts!

I'd recommend it highly!

• Advertisement

I have all the cards now. It's a great game and I'm improving all the time. Last tournament result was 12th from 30 players at the Irish Regionals - one win away from top 8 knockouts!

I'd recommend it highly!

oh i have the whole log and play, missed regionals due to unforeseen stuff, have you downloaded octgn yet? another great resource

oh i have the whole log and play, missed regionals due to unforeseen stuff, have you downloaded octgn yet? another great resource

Decided against OTCGN because I want to keep NR as a game I get to play live as opposed to on a PC. It's als an access issue ... I really don't want 24/7 access to that card game. Not good for my life ;-D I play Hearthstone but at least games in that are 7-8 mins.

Decided against OTCGN because I want to keep NR as a game I get to play live as opposed to on a PC. It's als an access issue ... I really don't want 24/7 access to that card game. Not good for my life ;-D I play Hearthstone but at least game in that are 7-8 mins.

you are missing out, you can get cards a bit before they are released and tinker decks around them. Like the new hb one that lowers hand size by 1. I know I'll be playing the **** out of that

you are missing out, you can get cards a bit before they are released and tinker decks around them. Like the new hb one that lowers hand size by 1. I know I'll be playing the **** out of that

Oh I know I'd be a better player if I used it and, as you said, it's a great resource, but I'm 38 and I played card games very competitively from 17 until 33 and I really don't want to get that involved again.

It's more of a day out with the lads for me :/) I'll build a top deck from netrunnerdb a few days before an event, learn it and play it. :-D

Just checking in to see if anyone else has picked up this superb little game?

It's player base is growing, the last event i was at in Kilkenny had over 20 players for a store kit which is quite large, Getting big into tournament season now though so should be loads of games going for people wanting practice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Just checking in to see if anyone else has picked up this superb little game?

I got it about a year ago. Would like to learn it but not sure where to begin. Can you pick it up alone, or is it better with another greenhorn looking to learn?

I got it about a year ago. Would like to learn it but not sure where to begin. Can you pick it up alone, or is it better with another greenhorn looking to learn?

It's better to play with someone with experience as a lot of the rul;es are not obvious in the book.

Side note: The best Kate player in the world is from cork, finished top 16 in worlds

There are players in every city and they are the nicest group to play with. I'm sure they will teach you. Whereabouts are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

There are players in every city and they are the nicest group to play with. I'm sure they will teach you. Whereabouts are you?

In Kildare, near enough to naas. Would say there's not shortage in Dublin should I look to learn

• Advertisement

In Kildare, near enough to naas. Would say there's not shortage in Dublin should I look to learn

Dublin /Kilkenny help you out.

Future guy you playing in gamers world store champs this weekend?

Zombie bump. An Irish guy won euros in this an hour ago, will now get to design his own card for the game

Advertisement