Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starbucks

Options
  • 21-01-2012 6:25pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    Is there any star buck in cork/cork city now? any plans to bring one in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

There is one in Cork airport and it is possible to park outside and run in for a coffee to go.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Didn't that get closed down a while back?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

the one in cork airport is gone for a few weeks now, cork coffee roasters have taken over the shop. The only place to get starbucks coffee in the city is in the coffee dock in the O'rahilly building in ucc. dont think there are any plans to make any more, as they had to close a few last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Yes it did, replaced by Cork Coffee Roasters. I think there is still a Starbucks in UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

You are right. Closed in October. No more Starbucks in Munster. Cork has great coffee shops most of which are better than Starbucks anyway IMO.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/kfgbsngbkfsn/rss2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

That article is incorrect, their is a starbucks in UCC, as previously pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Cian92 wrote: »
    That article is incorrect, their is a starbucks in UCC, as previously pointed out.

The article mentions UCC:

"Although the licensed outlet at Cork Airport was the last remaining store in Munster, Starbucks has a food service in the area, where its coffee is available in canteens.

In Munster these sites include University College Cork and Quinn Insurance and Bank of New York at the Cork Business Park."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it's not a Starbucks as such though, it just serves Starbucks coffee doesn't it?

I think it's a credit to Cork City that Starbucks hasn't just waltzed in and taken over.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

deRanged wrote: »
    it's not a Starbucks as such though, it just serves Starbucks coffee doesn't it?

I think it's a credit to Cork City that Starbucks hasn't just waltzed in and taken over.

I agree,I was asking on behalf of a friend who is star bucks crazy :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 _underscore

Gloria Jeans FTW i'd say..

• Advertisement

Gloria Jeans FTW i'd say..

Funnily enough whenever were in town that's where she always goes to get her hot chocolate but when we were in america she was in and out of starbucks at least 3 times a day -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

To be honest, if you're looking for Hot Chocolate then there's a great place on French Church St, just off Paul street, that serves probably the best in the city.

Girlfriend and I went there 2-3 times last week alone and it was great, highly recommend it, but damned if I can remember the name of it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Sonics2k wrote: »
    To be honest, if you're looking for Hot Chocolate then there's a great place on French Church St, just off Paul street, that serves probably the best in the city.

Girlfriend and I went there 2-3 times last week alone and it was great, highly recommend it, but damned if I can remember the name of it :pac:

Its O'Conaill's Chocolate Shop , the hot chocolate is pretty good in fairness but they upped the price and shrunk the portions before christmass :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Is there a reason Starbucks has not succeeded in Cork? Where they not getting sufficient trade?

Ya I know the place your on about,been in there a few times but she prefers butlers and all she wants from starbucks is the coffee -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

a locally run coffee company moves in on Starbuck's old patch, now that's a victory for good taste.
    Starbucks = burnt coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Is there a reason Starbucks has not succeeded in Cork? Where they not getting sufficient trade?

Because Starbucks do terrible coffee and was really badly located in Cork.

One at the airport, and another at UCC. Hardly convenient places to get a coffee :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Because Starbucks do terrible coffee and was really badly located in Cork.

One at the airport, and another at UCC. Hardly convenient places to get a coffee :P

Its not bad in Dublin's outlets. Its certainly better than alot of the stuff served in most cafe's, bars etc here.

I still prefer coffee on the continent though.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

is there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

there is a starbucks thread being discussed in cork city
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056525041

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I still prefer coffee on the continent though.:D

here here.
    I loved going to Portugal, sitting outside a local cafe watching the world go by and having a beautiful espresso.....for 60c!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Volovo

here here.
    I loved going to Portugal, sitting outside a local cafe watching the world go by and having a beautiful espresso.....for 60c!

Did this for hours when I lived in Paris although I paid a multiple of 60c! I would love to see more starbucks cafes opening in cities like Cork, Limerick, Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

Volovo wrote: »
    Did this for hours when I lived in Paris although I paid a multiple of 60c! I would love to see more starbucks cafes opening in cities like Cork, Limerick, Galway.

one in UL in limerick, its alright to be honest.
    but for the price, and for whats its worth, its over hyped, over sugared brown water.
    starbucks, why do we need em? cos they are on the hills(insert any other f'in reality american based tv show(like that terrible one on rte))
    any decent coffee shop in your local town will do better

• Registered Users Posts: 85,005 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The city centre could do with one imo

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭antlyn

Leisureworld B'town serve starbucks coffee

antlyn wrote: »
    Leisureworld B'town serve starbucks coffee

Really?My friend will be interested to hear that

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

Freshly ground coffee and free cookie is just one euro in the Subway at Victoria Cross.

That's right, I said one euro. And the coffee is good as well. OK, so an expresso is 60c in Portugal as pointed out above, but how much would a cookie cost with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Freshly ground coffee and free cookie is just one euro in the Subway at Victoria Cross.

That's right, I said one euro. And the coffee is good as well. OK, so an expresso is 60c in Portugal as pointed out above, but how much would a cookie cost with it?

Id rather have a cup of gold blend tbh.
    Im not big into my coffee, but i know what i like. Subway coffee is awful IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Tis great to see the end of Starbucks at the airport and taken over by a local crowd. I always thought it would only ever get worse with big massive foreign companies coming in and making the place more boring and repatriating their profits

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I think coffee is Cork is overpriced and gone to the dogs. Where I normally go is Costa by Opera House (prob most expensive of all but most comfortable too) or Insomnia (which can be hit and miss but you get a coffee of any size and muffin for 3.50). Subway sounds good but I enjoy ambience as much as the coffee - anywhere cheap in city centre that has both ambience and the right price?! Starbucks in UCC as said is not really a Starbucks and there coffee is crap anyway from my experience in Dublin and California. Coffee in UCC is crap also generally.

(Moan moan lol, someone didn't have their coffee this morning! ;)

Advertisement