Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thread Moved from Motors - Why?

• 29-12-2020 8:19pm

Can we have an explanation behind the moving of this thread that is full of motors videos out of the motors forum? It was explained to the moderator that moved it what its purpose was which didn’t fit in with their incorrect reasoning, and they wouldn’t even show the decency of reply.

It is clearly to remove chat from the thread, which for some reason the motors moderators have unreasonably fought against for years here. Maybe it could be time to appoint a few new ones who are interested in and capable of moderating a message board.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057975477

As a wider point, why is it a necessity that chat (on a message board) is banned from in-car camera threads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

As above, I set the thread in question up because the moderators wanted to keep the original thread to embedded dash cams only, but there are so many other motoring cam videos we were missing out on.

Please either move this thread back or allow the other thread to include these type of videos

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I see a mod posted a note when moving the thread.

I'll see if any of the local mods wish to contribute to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Problem is lots of vids are not on youtube ergo not embedable and only accessible externally - that mod removes all such videos from the other thread

In fact this thread is more popular than the old one

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I would also appreciate it being moved back into the Motors forum.

What if they don’t wish to, where does that leave things?

We’ve long had car cam threads and they’ve had a long history of trying underhand methods of reducing them to nothing. The latest was to flex the old mod muscles on the existing thread at the time and tell users EMBEDDED VIDEOS ONLY. So the thread in question was started for video links or car cam videos that the moderators would not allow in the embedded thread. I can’t see what issue it was and it’s been open a long time, not a new thread by any means.

Simply put, what exactly was wrong with the thread and why did Biko feel it necessary to move it on the forum users? It’s bordering on vendetta at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OPs link isn't working, this one works
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057975477

The move was because, as stated in the moving message, there are already video threads in Motors forum.
    Those clip threads are for embedded youtube videos where a person can see the content before they click.

The moved thread is used for linkdumps, gifs and other media sites.

Motors isn't a cool videos forum, Cool Vids is, and it has scope to also include car related material and fun car vids.
    Motors still have 2 threads for videos - they will have to suffice for posters that don't want to post car videos in Cool Vids.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What if they don’t wish to, where does that leave things?
    It's not a case of "ask and it will happen"

This thread is to discuss the merits or otherwise. I would certainly encourage the mods to provide further explanation here.

I am coming to this completely cold. I do not know what, if any, issues the thread caused. I do not know if there are others who welcome the move.

Once we've had a sensible discussion, which can include Mods and CMods as well as Admins, we can look to agree a way forward. That may, or may not, involve a further move, or a new thread, or no further action.

Thanks biko - our posts crossed

Beasty wrote: »
    It's not a case of "ask and it will happen"

This thread is to discuss the merits or otherwise. I would certainly encourage the mods to provide further explanation here.

I am coming to this completely cold. I do not know what, if any, issues the thread caused. I do not know if there are others who welcome the move.

Once we've had a sensible discussion, which can include Mods and CMods as well as Admins, we can look to agree a way forward. That may, or may not, involve a further move, or a new thread, or no further action.

The thread hasn’t caused any issues. This moderator has just decided they don’t want it in the motors forum any more, after the thread existed there without issue for a considerable time already.

I would also argue that moving it to a forum where in-thread chat isn’t allowed (on a discussion forum for Gods sake - but that’s a whole other days discussion) is massively detracting from the thread as it was, so it cannot be argued that it’s simply a forum section move.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    OPs link isn't working, this one works
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057975477

The move was because, as stated in the moving message, there are already video threads in Motors forum.
    Those clip threads are for embedded youtube videos where a person can see the content before they click.

Motors isn't a cool videos forum, Cool Vids is, and it has scope to also include car related material and fun car vids.
    Motors still have 2 threads for videos - they will have to suffice for posters that don't want to post car videos in Cool Vids.

This is not a cool vids thread. It is a motor cam thread.
    We didn’t want it, we wanted to included the links etc on the original thread because the mods wanted to keep that to embedded cams only, but not everything is on YouTube now and we can’t embed other vids on boards.

This site if for the users, enough users were happy with the thread where it was and then all of a sudden it gets moved for no reason.

Again, please put it back

The 3 videoclip-based threads in the Motors forum all contained different types of videos, there was very little overlap between the 3 & the Motors forum is big & busy enough to support all 3.
    Biko wrote:

If this is a valid reason for moving one motor-related video thread to Cool Vids, is it a valid reason to move all 3?
    Biko wrote:

But I presume the “linkdumps etc” would not be allowed if posted in either of the 2 remaining Motor-based video threads?

I’m interested in cars so I follow the Motors forum & read through it everytime I’m on Boards. I’m not interested in watching Cool Vids etc but in order for me to keep watching this Motor related content I’ll have to add this thread to my ‘Follow’ list & keep track of it this way? Moving this thread in this way also changes it substantially in terms of who contributes the content. Any other Boards user who previously sourced & posted videos/links/gifs etc may not do so where the thread is located currently & I can see a situation where a new motors video thread is created to support these videos/links/gifs.

I don’t see the problem with leaving the thread in Motors (where it has been for over 18 months now) & I haven’t seen any issues being recently created by the thread.

Appreciate any reply Biko. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Sherfin

But the only reason there is a second dashcam thread is that the same mod closed the original thread early (965 posts), started a new thread, banning links, which were popular with many.
    Had embedded videos been allowed to continue as they were for previous threads, we wouldn't have this issue.
    Also, now that it has been moved, a new rule of no commenting on driving has snuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭josip

I would also like to get it back, I've been following it since the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

About the "no chat" rule, that is something you need to chat to the local mods about.

About linkdumps, that's not really allowed anywhere on boards as it's not good practise. Local mods may allow it.

To iterate - the 2 threads we already have in Motors will suffice. They allow chat.

Cools Vids should be your first port of call for all funny car vids.

About the "no chat" rule, that is something you need to chat to the local mods about.

About linkdumps, that's not really allowed anywhere on boards as it's not good practise. Local mods may allow it.

To iterate - the 2 threads we already have in Motors will suffice. They allow chat.

Where did the push for this action come from Biko? It was working fine the way it was.

I’d like an admin to look at this please. The moderator is not offering any budge at all, despite posts from users making a lot of sense.

Biko.I’ll say it again, These are not funny car videos. They are no different to the other car videos on the motoring forum.

Please put it back.
    You seem to be the only one who wants it moved.
    All posts on the thread and here want it moved back.

This forum is supposed to be for the users so why are you trying to p1ss them off?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭josip

Everyone has their own reasons for watching them, but I genuinely watch them to see what was the cause of the accident and to see if there is anything I can learn from the video in question.

For me they're motoring educational rather than cool or funny.

I’d like an admin to look at this please. The moderator is not offering any budge at all, despite posts from users making a lot of sense.
    Admin input may be forthcoming, but at this stage I've got enough on my plate elsewhere and there is limited Admin and office presence over the holiday season

• Advertisement

Personally, I don't have any issues in punting it back to motors, but I do not want to start a "pass the parcel" bunfight.
    If the motoring mods are willing to receive it, I will put it back.

As for no chat, the forum is really about posting videos & links as opposed to discussing their content.
    I certainly don't want to have to get involved in an argument about which driver was the biggest dickhead before the crash type of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I always enjoyed the videos in the motors forum, never understood why the changes were made but I haven’t looked at one since.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

dolanbaker wrote: »
    Personally, I don't have any issues in punting it back to motors, but I do not want to start a "pass the parcel" bunfight.

As for no chat, the forum is really about posting videos & links as opposed to discussing their content.
    I certainly don't want to have to get involved in an argument about which driver was the biggest dickhead before the crash type of discussion.

You've posted in that thread - has there ever really been any bitching?
    Its been more civil than the other thread

dolanbaker wrote: »

I don’t see the issue with chat on a discussion forum. If there’s issues then let the moderators look after that, but this all makes it seem like they want to put it on autopilot and not bother with wheat they’re supposed to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Not all car videos are cool, but they are all car videos. One set does not equal the other.
    Please put the car videos back in the motor forum. If a car video showed a car crashing into a cyclist, it wouldnt be cool, but would be a car video.

fritzelly wrote: »
    You've posted in that thread - has there ever really been any bitching?
    Its been more civil than the other thread
    Fortunately, very little, however - from time to time in one or other of the dash cam threads, groups of posters have taken up "position" and will partake in a heated discussion about driving habits and laws, none of which belongs in the cool videos forum.

We shouldn't be moderating motoring issues.

Is there any update on this? Thanks.

The main issue still remains that the ability to comment on videos has been taken away by this move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I have no idea why the thread was moved from where it was sitting, causing no trouble; where chat happened and the thread was enjoyed by many, myself included.

This thread is only partly connected to the Cool Vids section, in the same way that any videos can be: some will be funny. But many are simply interesting, entertaining or even educational. Chat hasn't been a problem in this thread, indeed, lack of chat in other threads was the reason this thread was created.

Do the Motors mods have any particular problem with the thread? Are they happy to have it back, or is there something going on in the mod section that we aren't being told?

If there is no issue, please return it to where it belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

For goodness sake, what harm was that thread doing in the Motors thread. It was only bumped every two or three days anyway.

Stupid, unnecessary mod interference fixing a problem that no-one raised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

I two would like it back I post very little but I always
    Like the videos

Advertisement