Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Aiden - Saturday October 31st

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

We usually bring mother up to ours or to one of my sisters but she is saying that she is sick of being shunted out of her home every time a bit of wind is forecast and staying put. She would have to come to mine as she is in our social bubble with the covid. I dont blame her. The nonsense with these warnings every time a gale comes in. The country is in enough of a mess and older people stressed out enough without orange warnings. Yes it will be windy and im sure it will blow a good gale but let's review the warning systems and increase rhe warning level thresholds. Bit of a rant but I'm annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Away from south ,west,nw coasts not to bad i would think at this stage.

Max gusts been forecasted at airports up until 11am
    Dublin :47 knots between 7am - 9am
    Shannon:45 knots betwern 5am-10am
    Knock 48 knots between 7am-9am
    Cork :57 knots between 5am -7am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Graces7 wrote: »
    As I spelt it on my post! Whoever made up the storm names got it wrong ...AIDAN

They didn't 'get it wrong'?? They chose the "Aiden' version of the name. Either spelling is correct.
    Absolutely lovely day here in West Limerick, got a lot of outside work done today in case Aiden decides to come this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

fineso.mom wrote: »
    They didn't 'get it wrong'?? They chose the "Aiden' version of the name. Either spelling is correct.
    Absolutely lovely day here in West Limerick, got a lot of outside work done today in case Aiden decides to come this way.

I thought they named it after Dr Aidan Nulty

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Bit of a spread even at this stage with the winds predicted for overnight Sat into Sun and during Sun.

ECM keeping the strongest winds away from the coasts, blustery overland.

GFS develops a proper depression bringing it close to the W / NW and brings the Sunday wave further N over Ireland bringing the winds more over the Southern half of the country

ARPEGE quite windy early Sun morning , not developing the wave as much on Sunday

ICON windy enough along the coastal fringes early Sunday morning, blustery overland and not developing the wave on Sun apart from skimming along the SE coasts.

We will see.

l3PjbOA.gif

anim_bxq1.gif

anim_opm2.gif

anim_iys4.gif

anim_jcc6.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

NE like Drogheda and Dundalk seem to always be off the radar for these events.

Maybe they are in shade of something or other, but often noticed this fact.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lateas Met Eireann forecast

30 October 2020 20:04

Tonight
    Dry at first tonight, but becoming wet and very windy overnight, with heavy rain developing, accompanied by strengthening south to southeast winds. Winds increasing strong to gale force later, with some severe and damaging gusts occurring towards dawn, especially in parts of Munster and south Leinster. Cool early in the night, with lowest temperatures of 4 to 7 degrees, but much milder later with temperatures of 11 to 14 degrees.

Tomorrow
    Tomorrow, Saturday will be extremely windy for a time in many areas, as storm Aiden tracks to the northwest of the country. Very strong and gusty southerly winds will veer westerly with some severe and damaging gusts, especially in Atlantic coastal counties, with weather warnings in operation. Very high seas around coasts with a risk of coastal flooding. Bright spells developing tomorrow, with squally showers, some of them heavy and prolonged, mainly in the northwest. Becoming mostly dry by evening, with winds moderating, except on northwest coasts. Highest temperatures 12 to 14 degrees early on, but turning cooler in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Would I be right in saying that we wont see a lot of rainfall during daylight hours tomorrow in the west?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Can see the system taking shape and deepening rapidly well off the SW, ECM showing some potential for elevated convection, low chance of lightning but maybe along the SW, S some heavy squally downpours.

TxFEZFG.gif

7NhHUKQ.gif

rwnzlIN.gif?2

Would I be right in saying that we wont see a lot of rainfall during daylight hours tomorrow in the west?

Yeah most of the heaviest rain gone through early in the morning.

anim_uxr1.gif

arpegeuk-25-24-0_otj5.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah most of the heaviest rain gone through early in the morning.

Thank you, those charts are exactly what I was looking for.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Met Eireann in the forecast 'some severe and damaging gusts occurring towards dawn, especially in parts of Munster and south Leinster.'

Shows up well on HARMONIE

2s38CD7.gif

dPo4eDp.png

PlYkA55.png

pCQm2zQ.png

PlYkA55.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Sods law sea area's outside my 5km limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

We usually bring mother up to ours or to one of my sisters but she is saying that she is sick of being shunted out of her home every time a bit of wind is forecast and staying put. She would have to come to mine as she is in our social bubble with the covid. I dont blame her. The nonsense with these warnings every time a gale comes in. The country is in enough of a mess and older people stressed out enough without orange warnings. Yes it will be windy and im sure it will blow a good gale but let's review the warning systems and increase rhe warning level thresholds. Bit of a rant but I'm annoyed.

Don't blame Met Éireann if people overreact. I'm pretty sure they don't advise evacuating the elderly from their homes in advance of a typical storm. People working in exposed places outdoors need the warnings. An elderly lady shouldn't worry about it, unless she's planning to go for a morning swim or a hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Well that rain did not last long no way was it spreading North East as was said on the forecast heading north West now

Heavy rain belting off the windows here in Castlebar.

11pm TAF's out
    Max forecast gusts at airports tomorrow

Cork: 53 knots between 5am-7am
    Dublin:42 knots between 8am-10am (40% chance of gusts up to 47 knots between 8am-11am)
    Shannon:47 knots between 7am-9am
    Knock:No TAF update as airport is closed tomorrow and will be closed from 14th November until further notice due to a total collapse in passenger numbers arising from the COVID situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The breeze has increased slightly in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Winds picking up in Kildare and a big increase in temps.

Lots of bright returns on the radar down in the SW. wouldn't rule out a flash or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looks like the new pulse of rain coming in will be the main one that will move North East

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Some showers in cork city, heavy drizzle now, radar shows more on the way though. Gusts starting to increase a bit too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

120kph is the gust speed when things get dangerous. Dont know if this will be reached apart from coastal remote spots.

Sligo will likely get over 100 possibly 110. At midday tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Wind after picking up a bit here now on the south coast of Cork. Some strong gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

getting wild in east cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Here in Mid Cork too.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dancewithme

Lashing rain here in North galway. Wind a normal Galway level at the moment,in other words don't bother getting your hair blowdried in the hairdresser

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Wind just came up out of nowhere here Kilkenny/ laois birder, can hear it in the chimneys and whipping outside, gonna be a rough night

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

Ok love the weather threads on here,in lay mans terms the nippers want the halloween decos out tomorrow,i stick on a mighty display for them,north dublin,if i stick them out will they end up in wales ??planing on hitting the garden in the morning,
    ps as always much appreciate the weather threads,thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

It was 5°c at around 8pm. Now it’s nudging 15°c

Advertisement