Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Its very clear to me though that with the numbers of posters banned from the forum and the site in the last week or two there is a big problem with racism. And this "excuse" that it was 1 or 2 people reregging is drivel.

You have the title of moderator under your user name. Can you not request to transfer to that forum to help out the current mods if you don't feel they are doing enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You have the title of moderator under your user name. Can you not request to transfer to that forum to help out the current mods if you don't feel they are doing enough?

Why the hell should they do that :confused: ?

Why don't you volunteer :) ?

Discodog wrote: »
    Why the hell should they do that :confused: ?

Why don't you volunteer :) ?

Because they themselves are a mod. Actions speak louder than words.

Ok I hereby volunteer to become a mod .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. I dont want to moderate that forum. This is feedback. I am giving feedback that there is a problem.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Because they themselves are a mod. Actions speak louder than words.

Ok I hereby volunteer to become a mod .

You need to understand how & why Mods are appointed. A lot are chosen because they clearly have an understanding & interest in a particular area.

I am sure there's a big list asking to be made Mods of CA :pac:

By the way it always used to be the case that asking to be a Mod was a sure way of never being one.

• Advertisement

No. I dont want to moderate that forum. This is feedback. I am giving feedback that there is a problem.

One wonders what would happen if the Prohibition of Incitement To Hatred Act, 1989 was ever really enforced.

Discodog wrote: »
    You need to understand how & why Mods are appointed. A lot are chosen because they clearly have an understanding & interest in a particular area.

I am sure there's a big list asking to be made Mods of CA :pac:

By the way it always used to be the case that asking to be a Mod was a sure way of never being one.

I don't know what's going on here then. You said why dont I volunteer to which I replied ok I volunteer.

After that it was just white noise and a smiley face

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I know it won't happen, but it would be nice to see the Banlist made public again.

At a childish level, it always warmed the heart to see the usernames of utterly obnoxious posters finally appear there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Its very clear to me though that with the numbers of posters banned from the forum and the site in the last week or two there is a big problem with racism.

Well the fact they’re banned shows it’s not tolerated, doesn’t it?

Fair enough.

From the looks of it mod Necro is flat out on his own trying his best to go through posts. I reported a re reg and he was on it straight away but he must be stretched. I just thought he could use an extra pair of hands rather than complaints. As I said you are a mod I thought you could go help him.

No worries. No harm done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

osarusan wrote: »
    I know it won't happen, but it would be nice to see the Banlist made public again.

At a childish level, it always warmed the heart to see the usernames of utterly obnoxious posters finally appear there.
    Yeah the antifa thread was kinda an unofficial one, but that has been closed a good while now.

Omackeral wrote: »
    With all due respect, that wouldn’t be great.

Why not?

There is a mod on politics. He has a horse on his profile picture, name begins with A. It's a long name anyway but he would be the man for the job. Iv fallen foul of his zero tolerance policy and am permanently banned from politics. Hes a decent chap all the same. No rubbish from him

The lugs brannigan of boards mods.Send him in. Job done

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Why not?

There is a mod on politics. He has a horse on his profile picture, name begins with A. It's a long name anyway but he would be the man for the job. Iv fallen foul of his zero tolerance policy and am permanently banned from politics. Hes a decent chap all the same. No rubbish from him

The lugs brannigan of boards mods.Send him in. Job done
    What? You mean to shutdown the CA forum and reduce traffic and thus advertisements that help keep boards afloat yeah sure go ahead appoint away!
    Also I love the posters moaning about the shooting in Clonee on here yet don't have the conviction to post their point of view in case someone challanges it.

What? You mean to shutdown the CA forum and reduce traffic and thus advertisements that help keep boards afloat yeah sure go ahead appoint away!
    Also I love the posters moaning about the shooting in Clonee on here yet don't have the conviction to post their point of view in case someone challanges it.

It's only.the racists who will be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

It's only.the racists who will be banned

Same thing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Same thing really.

So you are saying without racism the CA forum would be pretty much nothing. Says a lot.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

So you are saying without racism the CA forum would be pretty much nothing. Says a lot.

There'd be outrage over transgender people which seems to be other popular trend in there. So still pretty bad...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to be clear. CA can never appeal to everyone. Like it or not, there will be some very contrasting views and opinions posted. It's not our job to censor those opinions. Yes we will clamp down on posters who post racist, homophobic, sexist etc content. However it needs to be recognised that people's view on where the line should be drawn differ. Sometimes posters post stuff they may never imagine will offend. Sometimes such offence is only in the eye of the beholder. I've had numerous conversations with posters over the years where they simply did not realise how their posts would be interpreted. Sometimes a quiet word is all that is needed. Sometimes, particularly when we see repeat offences, we will come down a lot harder on a poster. Obviously this requires mod discretion

Ultimately, and to some extent repeating my first sentence above, people will take offence at some content, but that does not mean it should be removed. We cater for a wide range of views, so please do not be surprised if some of the views expressed do not tie in with your own. Many such views that are posted I personally may find distasteful, but that does not mean I should moderate such views. Yes if they contravene site and/or forum rules (and the CA Charter is very deliberately short and to the point, but open to interpretation) we will act.

And just to add, Necro has been a star in CA and the Coronavirus forum. But I would add a number of other forum mods to that category. Some will be moderating stuff in the middle of the night. Sometimes one of us will have a splurge at all the reports, or a particular thread, both to understand the topic and deal with any issues arising.

I actually was playing round with a spreadsheet yesterday evening, and throwing some useless facts around:

Since CA was created in the middle of 2019, the CA and Coronavirus forums have reflected nearly a quarter of all site traffic (in terms of posts) - that's more than the next 5 forums (including AH and Soccer) combined

The 2 forums have resulted in over 40% of all cards issued over the same period

Beasty wrote: »
    Since CA was created in the middle of 2019, the CA and Coronavirus forums have reflected nearly a quarter of all site traffic (in terms of posts) - that's more than the next 5 forums (including AH and Soccer) combined

The 2 forums have resulted in over 40% of all cards issued over the same period

No surprise that CA is over represented in terms of cards issued.

Are there any plans to try and bring the number of cards down? I’ve no idea how that could be done, just curious.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

osarusan wrote: »

You would never recognise 95%+ of the names. Many get banned before they even post. I remember one night (here - I was actually on the West Coast of America and it was evening over there) when we had 3 or 4 of our regulars acting in tandem (or trandem/4 seat bike ,whatever it's called!) and I banned a couple of hundred or more where only a handful ever got to post, but their posts were deleted within a minute or so

• Advertisement

No surprise that CA is over represented in terms of cards issued.

Are there any plans to try and bring the number of cards down? I’ve no idea how that could be done, just curious.
    We don't plan to issue any number. All we do is react to behaviour/content. We could easily bring it down if posters abided by the Charter and didn't act the Dick.

We don't plan to issue any number. All we do is react to behaviour/content. We could easily bring it down if posters abided by the Charter and didn't act the Dick.

I understand that. What I meant but phrased badly is, are there any measures planned or discussed to try and get posters to abide by the charter more? I mean other than issuing cards (because based on the numbers this hasn’t been particularly effective).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

There is nowhere near enough bans and some of the posts left in those threads about the man who died, and anyone that remotely looks like him Is outrageous and sickening.The two threads really shame us as a society it’s almost like we have been brainwashed by Joseph Goebells to paint any non white irish as an enemy. Awful awful stuff.

I understand that. What I meant but phrased badly is, are there any measures planned or discussed to try and get posters to abide by the charter more? I mean other than issuing cards (because based on the numbers this hasn’t been particularly effective).

We get criticised for not acting against things that are reported. We get criticised for to many mod actions

It's clear that the forum attracts more extreme views. People can usually see when we have acted. If others (or indeed the poster being actioned) do not have the cop on to realise similar behaviour will result in further sanctions there's no amount of "education" that will correct that

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Necro has done a great job since he joined the CA mod team but he hasn't done so unsupported. It's a team effort. I'm glad Necro is getting regonition for his good work but please do not forget there is a team working on moderating the forum.

We get criticised for not acting against things that are reported. We get criticised for to many mod actions

It's clear that the forum attracts more extreme views. People can usually see when we have acted. If others (or indeed the poster being actioned) do not have the cop on to realise similar behaviour will result in further sanctions there's no amount of "education" that will correct that

It’s definitely a damned if you do and damned if you don’t situation.

Baggly wrote: »
    Necro has done a great job since he joined the CA mod team but he hasn't done so unsupported. It's a team effort. I'm glad Necro is getting regonition for his good work but please do not forget there is a team working on moderating the forum.

I still reckon you guys should unleash the mod kracken.

Posting will surely slow down again in that thread once it blows over. Midweek or thereabouts I'd imagine. Possibly sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

The whereabouts of the Kraken and the code to unlock its chamber shall remain a closely guarded secret amongst the mod team.

Baggly wrote: »
    The whereabouts of the Kraken and the code to unlock its chamber shall remain a closely guarded secret amongst the mod team.

Hes over modding the politics forum like a champ.

• Advertisement

I still reckon you guys should unleash the mod kracken.

Posting will surely slow down again in that thread once it blows over. Midweek or thereabouts I'd imagine. Possibly sooner

Yes but the comments will remain. If I wanted to show a kid how racist the Irish are there are hundreds of posts to support that opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement