Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Litter

• 23-12-2017 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15 ninesheep

Just want to open this by saying I'm not here to talk bad about Dublin, it's probably my favourite city that I've ever been to.

However I was there today from about 8am onwards for the whole day and I was shocked at the level of litter on the streets and was wondering is this normal or just at this time of year? I never notice these things usually but the sheer amount of litter on the streets really shocked me.

Also just wondering has anyone ever counted how many cafes there are in the city center? Just would like to know because they seem to be everywhere

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I don't notice litter being too bad in the city centre, although it's usually bad around the inner city social housing flats etc.
    I think you'll find most cities have endless amounts of cafés though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

What I notice most is shop workers and pedestrians thoughtlessly flicking cigarette butts into the gutter, and dog poop on residential streets. I'd love to have some kind of non-lethal sniper rifle, (maybe one that fired stink pellets), and a good place to shoot from, so that I could pick out the culprits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Terrible in Smithfield the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What I notice most is shop workers and pedestrians thoughtlessly flicking cigarette butts into the gutter, and dog poop on residential streets. I'd love to have some kind of non-lethal sniper rifle, (maybe one that fired stink pellets), and a good place to shoot from, so that I could pick out the culprits.

Anyone letting their dog poop on the street should have a truck come to their house and pump 1000 litres of raw sewage straight through their letterbox :D

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

People refusing to pay waste charges dump bags of rubbish openly on the street. Bags get ripped open by rats, dogs, crows, gulls and the weather. Crap blows everywhere.

People also just throw their crap away, putting something down beside a bin when it's full instead of taking it home with them or to the next bin. This includes office workers, shoppers etc.

It's a chronic problem at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

And again, no litter warden would go near a scumbag on the street to issue a fine for littering. Go for the easy targets (though they shouldn't be littering either). I work in Bluebell and the amount of dog dirt on the pavements and on the grass is disgusting. Are these people the same as their pets? Yes they are is the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Bin across the road from me, not emptied since last week at some stage. The thing was packed. Now I didn't witness this, just a guess! It was emptied this morning by the council. Anyway, it looks as if the council worker took the bin out emptied it, and loads of **** (literally) on the ground around the bin. Obviously too lazy to pick the rubbish off the ground. What type of standard are the council setting here if the workers emptying the bins are not even concerned about the mess they leave behind.

No point complaining as I didn't witness it been emptied but it's a very educated guess as the rubbish is out as far as the door would swing open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

TallGlass wrote: »
    Bin across the road from me, not emptied since last week at some stage. The thing was packed. Now I didn't witness this, just a guess! It was emptied this morning by the council. Anyway, it looks as if the council worker took the bin out emptied it, and loads of **** (literally) on the ground around the bin. Obviously too lazy to pick the rubbish off the ground. What type of standard are the council setting here if the workers emptying the bins are not even concerned about the mess they leave behind.

No point complaining as I didn't witness it been emptied but it's a very educated guess as the rubbish is out as far as the door would swing open!

Since when has the council been doing waste collection. Most of it is private operators

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Since when has the council been doing waste collection. Most of it is private operators

Presume it was a public bin that was meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

In town working this week and it does seem dirtier than normal, although I'd say that's due to the council workers maybe being off, so only a few of them in working this week.

But, throughout the rest of the year, there are certain types of people to drop their rubbish on the streets, usually, women with kids, or young lads. There are bins everywhere in Dublin, it's not THAT difficult to bin your durt.

I'm a smoker and I always bin my butts, as, you know, bins everywhere :)

• Advertisement

It's the public bins, but even if it was private what difference does it make? The guys collecting the rubbish shouldn't be leaving the place with dirt all around it after they are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Agreed, live in irishtown ringsend and the amount of litter and dog waste is absolutely disgusting. The amount of dog crap is a disgrace. I'd be in favour of Judge Dredd style on the spot executions for people who don't poop and scoop since my toddler son stepped in it, smeared it over the car seat and backseat and his hands.....a month on and I'm still enraged!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would love to be a volunteer litter warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Deposit refund on plastic bottles would go a long way in solving our litter problem, never mind the positive environmental welfare implications.

Wtf is this not implementated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Chinasea wrote: »
    Deposit refund on plastic bottles would go a long way in solving our litter problem, never mind the positive environmental welfare implications.

Wtf is this not implementated.

Well why don't people just not throw litter around? A large chunk of the population does not even consider these things. It's a lost cause really, Dublin is filthy, cycling home today from town was just a constant stream of rubbish. Everywhere! All I can do is clean up after myself because I'd lose my mind if I kept thinking about things like this...

Well why don't people just not throw litter around? A large chunk of the population does not even consider these things. It's a lost cause really, Dublin is filthy, cycling home today from town was just a constant stream of rubbish. Everywhere! All I can do is clean up after myself because I'd lose my mind if I kept thinking about things like this...

Nearly 90% of the stuff I see thrown out on the side of the streets could be recycled and some of the stuff, even just purely reused by someone else. Apart from the disgrace that it's just literally pheked on the curb, it's easily sorted out. Joke. Few inspectors need to go around hand out fines, put these idiots right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

All I can do is clean up after myself because I'd lose my mind if I kept thinking about things like this...

Agree.

However, was on the bus recently and a few guys got on, cracked open a few tinnies and started dropping them one by one on the bus floor along the route home. Each time I heard one hit the ground my heart sank. Eventually I turned around and asked them politely to stop. Was met with amazement and then abuse. I was very polite. Nobody else dared say a word to them either. The place stunk and the dribbles from their cans were all over the top of the bus. Not to mention the litter..

A deposit refund would sort the likes of these littererers out. We have no enforcement, and for the most are terrified to say anything to the likes of the guys I refer to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Saw a few guys doing a clean up on the Malahide Road middle grass verges today down near Darndale. Fair play to them. Verges are filthy and council never bother doing them ! Littering is awful but when we have very little street cleaners it becomes much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭mvt

Seems like a lot of the street bins removed after the queens visit were never replaced.

Actually think the guys working for DCC on the streets do a reasonable enough job, maybe more of them would be nice.

Maybe if all the property tax was kept in Dublin city & the quite small rises not keep getting knocked back by the elected councillors DCC could afford to fund a better service.

Maybe some sort of way of getting all the people living & working in the city to contribute to this , not just property owners , would be good too

Again think that letting DCC remove themselves from being responsible for collecting the rubbish generated in the city is the root source of the problem.

This while also not absolving folk of their own responsibilities.

mvt wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of the street bins removed after the queens visit were never replaced.

Actually think the guys working for DCC on the streets do a reasonable enough job, maybe more of them would be nice.

Maybe if all the property tax was kept in Dublin city & the quite small rises not keep getting knocked back by the elected councillors DCC could afford to fund a better service.

Maybe some sort of way of getting all the people living & working in the city to contribute to this , not just property owners , would be good too

Again think that letting DCC remove themselves from being responsible for collecting the rubbish generated in the city is the root source of the problem.

This while also not absolving folk of their own responsibilities.

DCC are not able to manage street sanitation. That is well proven now. It should be taken away from them. I have never seen a street cleaner in the suburbs in my life in Dublin. We need private companies that will keep our streets clean and city clean. Stop relying on clean up groups and fund sanitation from property tax.

• Advertisement

Valresnick wrote: »
    DCC are not able to manage street sanitation. That is well proven now. It should be taken away from them. I have never seen a street cleaner in the suburbs in my life in Dublin. We need private companies that will keep our streets clean and city clean. Stop relying on clean up groups and fund sanitation from property tax.

Wrong. You need people to cop on and act like big boys and girls and stop throwing their shít on the ground. The problem is people and volume. A city with thousands of people on any given street at one time is not something you can reasonably expect anyone to be able to keep spotless, even if just a fraction of people are throwing their rubbish around.

Instead of fancy machines & private companies (who’s paying for this btw?)

Like, you’d rather be taxed to pay for a private company to clean up a mess that private citizens can stop creating. Fix the problem at its core, don’t just put expensive band aids over it.

Valresnick wrote: »

Why would you see a DCC street cleaner in the suburbs ??

The money raised by the property tax in the DDC area is not ring fensed for that area which is totally unfair & contrary to what the reason behind having one was in the first place.

Yet we are just supposed to accept this.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Having ran through Dublin city center this morning the amount of poo both animal & human on the foot paths was in real as well as the amount of rubbish everywhere was disgusting

Wrong. You need people to cop on and act like big boys and girls and stop throwing their shít on the ground. The problem is people and volume. A city with thousands of people on any given street at one time is not something you can reasonably expect anyone to be able to keep spotless, even if just a fraction of people are throwing their rubbish around.

Instead of fancy machines & private companies (who’s paying for this btw?)

Like, you’d rather be taxed to pay for a private company to clean up a mess that private citizens can stop creating. Fix the problem at its core, don’t just put expensive band aids over it.

People copping on ? Good luck with that. How’s it going so far ? We have so much education now around litter and yet it isn’t stopping. So, again the council get away without any responsibilities to do anything about our litter problems. We also have a Mayor who seems more interested in cutting ribbons and celebrity book / poetry readings. All this while the city drowns in rubbish which I might add is often from overflowing bins that have not been collected ! But yes, it’s all the peoples fault. It’s actually proven that in cleaner environments people are less likely to litter. We have no one in the city cleaning anywhere except the city centre, it’s a joke at this stage. Drive along any road particularly in the North Dublin suburbs and you’ll see what I mean !

Most other large cities have street cleaners but we are unique here in Ireland, we can’t !!! Same old stupid Irish excuse !

The lord mayor of Dublin city is a ceremonial position, absolutely nothing they can do about any issues .

If people dont or won't understand how the city is run they will not be able to bring about change in the way it is run.

In a lot of ways it all starts with personal responsibility.

mvt wrote: »
    The lord mayor of Dublin city is a ceremonial position, absolutely nothing they can do about any issues .

If people dont or won't understand how the city is run they will not be able to bring about change in the way it is run.

In a lot of ways it all starts with personal responsibility.

absolutely nothing they can do about any issues....

Ireland in a nutshell folks !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think it's mostly down to a general lack of civic pride. Lots of people don't even see litter on the ground or think about it. The state of St Anne's Park last spring during the nice weather was an example of this, every morning when I went jogging it was covered in rubbish.
    Every street in my neighbourhood has cars illegally parked all over the footpaths too, people don't even realise this is rude and inconsiderate. I think it's just the Irish way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,803 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Came back from from a dental appointment now via the R139. Beside the Malahide road.

The 139 has to be about a kilometer and a half long... the place is in a fûcking state with the amount of rubbish just dumped everywhere... on the road and mostly the verge along the sides... loose rubbish, bagged rubbish, must have been at a guess 40 - 60 big black sacks, just fûcked over the walls from and beside the erm, ‘sites’.

It’s appalling that there is absolutely no deterrent to this situation. Eventually you’ll need one lane closed, two rubbish trucks / vehicles and scores of people walking the road cleaning up... an unhygienic and dangerous situation... an operation... that will cost the taxpayers thousands, all because a group of people just cannot face taking responsibility for the waste they accumulate and dispose of it responsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah that section is always a total mess. I can never understand why travellers are happy to live in their own filth.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Came back from from a dental appointment now via the R139. Beside the Malahide road.

The 139 has to be about a kilometer and a half long... the place is in a fûcking state with the amount of rubbish just dumped everywhere... on the road and mostly the verge along the sides... loose rubbish, bagged rubbish, must have been at a guess 40 - 60 big black sacks, just fûcked over the walls from and beside the erm, ‘sites’.

It’s appalling that there is absolutely no deterrent to this situation. Eventually you’ll need one lane closed, two rubbish trucks / vehicles and scores of people walking the road cleaning up... an unhygienic and dangerous situation... an operation... that will cost the taxpayers thousands, all because a group of people just cannot face taking responsibility for the waste they accumulate and dispose of it responsibly.

Keep reporting it here https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/environment/waste-and-recycling/litter-illegal-dumping-and-graffiti/report-litter-or-pollution

Contact your local TD and demand action the place is absolutely disgusting. Imagine tourists arriving and driving down that road.

Advertisement