Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Netflix cheaper - SEE OP FOR DETAILS

• 26-10-2017 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Updated 20/03/24

(1) They seem to be nuking accounts with payment cards issued from outside the country of origin.

(2) While voucher payment on regions that accept it seems to work, some users have here and elsewhere reported these accounts getting nuked too.

(3) If nuked you may lose the money you paid out, a charge back may need to be started. In the case of an account paid with voucher your goosed. It's probably best not to stack vouchers and instead top up as required.

(4) Turkey currently is the cheapest option with payment via vouchers. You may or may not be geo-restricted and have to use a VPN to watch, user experience differs. Elsewhere it's been reported the geo lock lasts for 30 days.

(6) Other cheaper regions like Nigeria don't accept vouchers and you are very likely to be nuked soon after setting your account.

(7) Password sharing is another area where user experience is different. Some people report no problems, others do. While there is a technical workaround via a private VPN it's probably beyond most average users.

(8) At the end of the day, your mileage may vary and if you set up a non-Irish account do so knowing it could end at any time and you could be out of pocket.

UPDATED 24/1/21
    if you do not have an irish subscription to netflix then sign up to an Irish sub. It can be any plan as you'll be asked for a choice of plan when you move. You must do a month of Irish sub first.

- enter the payment method you wish to use when you move to your chosen country ( turkey is the cheapest) bear in mind some banks block cards being used abroad unless they are notified in advance.
    - enter a genuine mobile number on netflix for account recovery
    - cancel subscription
    - when your subscription has expired ie nothing plays then sign out of all devices and get a vpn that works for the country you want to use (vpn unlimited works for turkey). This could be a month away.
    - check your ip is working using a site like https://whatismyipaddress.com/
    - go incognito and search netflix and enter your details and click renew, choosing which package you want.
    - turn off your vpn
    welcome to cheap netflix. You do NOT need a VPN to watch it. The programme choice will be the same as a reg irish account. You do NOT need to know any Turkish.
    IF you still see prices in USD etc when your VPN is on, then your VPN is the problem. Nord VPN seems to have issues. You may need to use a different VPN to sign up

Plans range from 17.99 TL to 41.99 TL a month

Quick and dirty FAQ here - anyone want to amend or add to it?
    Q: What’s this about cheap Netflix subscriptions?
    A: Yes, if you purchase and/or setup renewal of Netflix in another country using the likes of a VPN, you’ll then pay for Netflix in that currency.

Q: What’s this VPN deal-i-o?
    A: Essentially it’ll spoof your IP Address to appear that you’re in another country. There are many paid ones and free ones - including HolaVPN.

Q: OK.. I’m with you. I’m an existing Netflix subscriber in Ireland - what do I do?
    A: You need to cancel your recurring subscription on the Netflix site, then wait it has lapsed, and then re-activate using a VPN.

Q: I haven’t subscribed to Netflix yet - what do I do?
    A: How’s life been in that cave for the past 10 years? :D You could subscribe with your VPN open, or subscribe without (to UK/Ireland) for a month and follow question above essentially.

Q: OK, I’ve subscribed now - what do I do with the VPN? Leave it open..
    A: If you’re using HolaVPN.. GOD NO… disable it / remove it / take it out back and shoot it in the face. You’re set up your recurring payment, you don’t need it anymore.

If you’re using a paid VPN, you don’t need it to browse just because you’re set up payment in a different country. Disable it to access UK/Irish catalogue and / or enable it if you want to access say Netflix in another country. If you know how to do this, you’ve probably no need to read this FAQ! :)

Q: Hold on, I was charged €3 last month and was charged €3.40 this month.
    A: Remember, you’re paying in a foreign currency so it will fluctuate - but it should still work out considerably cheaper.

Q: What’s the cheapest to pay in at the minute?
    A: I’m not sure but I’m assuming it’s still Turkish Lira but as above, it can fluctuate. Spreadsheet here indicating current conversions between local currencies and euro may help you decide.

Q: Can I get it even cheaper?
    A: Well, you can add a Revolut card and pay via that. Just ensure it’s topped up.

Another tip is topping up your Revolut account considerably (say enough for a year's sub) while exchange rate is in your favour, and then it'll be deducted from that.

Oh, and there is a Revolut thread here full of helpful people to help with any questions you may have on specifics of that.
    Post edited by Blade on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jvrk

Mexican Netflix cheapest revolut & vpn to setup €7 a month for 4 screen plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Use different email addresses every 6 months and get half price All the time if you want to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Still €6.99 a month for me through iTunes. Price has never gone up.

Doodah7 wrote:
    Still €6.99 a month for me through iTunes. Price has never gone up.

It's 6.99 for everyone on the first level. The highest level covers you for 4 screens at any given time, full 4k and HDR. This is 12.99 and I think going up another Euro or so soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭xtal191

sugarman wrote: »
    Or just use your phone credit, I use it for feck all else anyway.

Hmm what network are you with? Does it work with 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Use different email addresses every 6 months and get half price All the time if you want to

How to avail that offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

4 screen plan for 4k content = €168 a year split between me and 3 family members is €21 each every 6 months. We each have a profile and watch from different places at the same time.

Oat23 wrote: »
    4 screen plan for 4k content = €168 a year split between me and 3 family members is €21 each every 6 months. We each have a profile and watch from different places at the same time.

Best value of the lot if you use the 4 screens. you also have the benifit of full HD, 4K & HDR

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oat23 wrote: »

Your family members actually pay you for use of your Netflix account? :pac:

This is my situation:

0f4.jpg

How to avail that offer?

You get half price netflix when you sign up for 6 months. If you cancel after 6 months & join again using another email address you get half price again for 6 and. You can keep doing this if you want. I couldn't be bothered myself as I don't think it expensive but there's 6 live in my brothers house and after 3 year they are starting on the average 2nd email address for each family member

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

sugarman wrote: »
    Yeah works with 3

How do you do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Won't work with 3 for me. Used to until I changed plan and then the option disappeared. Cancelled my subscription and took out a new one with a different email and it still won't appear as a payment method. Pain in the arse. I can use 3 to pay for anything else in the play store so I don't understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭ Guadalupe Prickly Recruiter

There's a problem with more than one account on three with Google play billing at the moment. You can see the threads on the talk to forum. It's affecting all subscriptions, not just Netflix.

If (a big if considering it's Three) they fix it, then in theory once you join or rejoin on your phone you can select it as an option again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, not showing as an option for me either. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

An updated list is kept here of cheapest place to get Netflix:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vId7Jpl8pBUJNE4ghcuq24R9mD1k5BOsRC85cmnDB5s/edit#gid=2040029773
    Mexico is only €4 a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vId7Jpl8pBUJNE4ghcuq24R9mD1k5BOsRC85cmnDB5s/edit#gid=2040029773

What would the selection be like from a Mexican account? Would you get similar to the US level or much less?

Looking at the US premium price they are pretty much the same as here. But you would get much more of a selection. Would you need a VPN on constantly or could you be traveling and get access to the US content over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

I just looked at Netflix Mexico, for a two screen option it's almost €7

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

rogercross wrote: »
    I just looked at Netflix Mexico, for a two screen option it's almost €7
    Then you need a decent VPN. Mo' money.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

[17953="dodzy;105099190"]Then you need a decent VPN. Mo' money.[/quote]

Would it not just work here and show Irish content?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

Mickeroo wrote: »

This is my situation:

0f4.jpg
    Can I be parasite 4 ? You've still one unused screen ;)

Mickeroo wrote: »

This is my situation:

No free rides in this family anymore! I paid for the basic 2 screen package shared among 3 for about a year before realising it wasn't worth it (I mainly use PLEX).

I only really want Netflix now for some of the 4K shows like The Crown & Narcos which I'm happy to contribute €21 every 6 months for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You get half price netflix when you sign up for 6 months.

This isn't true, is It?

branners69 wrote: »
    What would the selection be like from a Mexican account? Would you get similar to the US level or much less?

Looking at the US premium price they are pretty much the same as here. But you would get much more of a selection. Would you need a VPN on constantly or could you be traveling and get access to the US content over here?
    dodzy wrote: »
    rogercross wrote: »
    dodzy wrote: »

Would it not just work here and show Irish content?

You're right. It doesn't matter where you sign up but where you are watching from. If you sign up on the Mexican netflix with a VPN/Proxy but watch with your Irish IP you get Irish content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

How does one sign up in Mexico? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Plus only occasional tax for the cartels from your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

TallGlass wrote: »
    How does one sign up in Mexico? :pac:

First do this

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Bodan

You get half price netflix when you sign up for 6 months. If you cancel after 6 months & join again using another email address you get half price again for 6 and.

I cant find this offer on netflix's website , do you have a link ?

Bodan wrote:
    I cant find this offer on netflix's website , do you have a link ?

I'm sorry for misleading you. I've looked online myself and they no longer of half price for 6 months. At least I can't find that offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Boardsie family like we have going for Spotify?

Advertisement