Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork Street, Dublin 8.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I lived off Cork Street for years and loved it, it's seriously handy for town and Lidl and Donore Butchers is amazing for meat deals. Also, because it has a reputation for being 'dodgy' it can be a lot cheaper than its Dublin 2, 6 & 4 equivalents. Worst thing that happened to me around there was a child throwing an egg in my general direction one Halloween but then Lidl put an embargo on nippers buying boxes of eggs so that never happened again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Living off Cork St. Beside the Lidl. And across from the Centra. Believe me its a livesaver come a bad winter. You've got a premium bus route into the city. You can walk into James St. Hospital via the Luas line (up Marrowbone lane, through Maryland and there you go). Meath street and bargains galore are a blink away.
    Pubs - theres Fallons (a genuinely good pub) down the Francis St. end but thats about it. Lowes at the other end is OK. Avoid Morrisseys. But you're a 15 minute brisk walk from your front door to Dame Street. Who cares.

As for the toerag problem...it was a lot worse when this thread originally started two years back and even then not bad. If you're walking up Cork st. at 2 AM in the morning you'll meet drunk people. If you're walking down the Champs Elysse at 2 AM they'll be out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭site designer

Is there many good cheap asian eateries in the immediate surrounding area? I know it's quite close to dame street etc but more interested in what's on the doorstep so to speak.

Moving to the city soon, thinking either there or near drumcondra, mountjoy square area, both offer similar value, want a place with the best buzz/vibe, not so much concerned with 'safety'

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

newbie_202 wrote: »
    I will move to Dublin shortly from the US and I was looking at property to rent/buy off Cork St. (Fingal and Eugene St. to be precise). I love the neat terraces and the price isnt overly prohibitive either. I like the idea of buying and living on that street given that its close to the city as well as a relatively short walk to Lower Kevin st. where I will be working, but since I haven't experienced the city, I am looking for opinion from the residents.

As for the dodgy factor, I am in Milwaukee, which has one of the highest crime rates in the US. So as long as there are no random shootings in the middle of the night, I think I will be fine with living anywhere.

If not Cork St. what other areas could I look for as far as living in the city goes? My budget would allow me to spend approx. 700 euros a month for accomodation.

Thanks all!

Stay away from Eugene street anyway. Drug addicts getting rent allowance all over that street. Very bad for the break ins.

You could probably get one of the newer apartments over the lidl for €700 a month. Its cork street but you have more security in an apartment building.

Edit: didn't realise this was 2 years old before posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Stay away from Eugene street anyway. Drug addicts getting rent allowance all over that street. Very bad for the break ins.

I agree. I knew a guy who lived on Eugene St. a few years ago who once found a guy trying to steal his roof!

• Advertisement

Yes, Eugene Street is a throwback. Its alright to walk through quickly. But under no circumstances live there. Its not worth it no matter how cheap the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sarah-bear

Living on Eugene Street the last while and I couldn't disagree more! There's one 'dodgy' house and everyone else is fine. Plenty of nice neighbours and so far no break ins. Having said that we are on the cul de sac side (away from Darley Terrace) so maybe that's it, but I really do enjoy living there.

sarah-bear wrote: »
    Living on Eugene Street the last while and I couldn't disagree more! There's one 'dodgy' house and everyone else is fine. Plenty of nice neighbours and so far no break ins. Having said that we are on the cul de sac side (away from Darley Terrace) so maybe that's it, but I really do enjoy living there.

You're on the right end (not too much passing traffic) and yes the street has improved in the last 8 to 12 months due to forced evictions and some toerag landlords getting read the riot act by the cops. However, in the entire Cork St. vicinity it still comes first at the wrong end of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

Yeah my mate hasn't lived there for 2 years. But 2-3 years ago it was horrendous! One time the travellers living on the cul de sac end were having some domestic problems, guy locks girl out the back, girl then proceeds to climb onto the roof totally naked. Crazy going ons!

We had problems with the travellers too. My mate had his baby in his arms and one of them pointed a pellet gun at him, he rightly told him off but the traveller didn't take kindly being told what to do. Another friend steps in and kicks seven shades of ****e out of the traveller. (I'll never forget the traveller on the ground, has my mate by the balls and my mate repeatedly punching him in the face screaming let go of my balls).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Glad to hear it's picking up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

have been cycling up and down early morning (4.30am) cork st for the past 12 years and never seen any aggro.

stanley1 wrote: »
    have been cycling up and down early morning (4.30am) cork st for the past 12 years and never seen any aggro.

You could ride a unicycle naked up and down Cork St. at 4 AM and not get any. Then again you could do that at 4 PM and just get a "seen it before, love" look or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Enlightening thread, I always had Cork street down as dodgy but it seems from replies here that I was very wrong. Out of interest what are 2 bed apts renting for in the area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 patrickwoodcock

Anyone live on Fingal Street? Just wondering what it's generally like. Sounds like it's on the dodgy side of cork street but don't know much about it. Thanks

Anyone live on Fingal Street? Just wondering what it's generally like. Sounds like it's on the dodgy side of cork street but don't know much about it. Thanks

It's a cul-de-sac. No heavy traffic passing. Nothing horrifying to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shanemurphy95

Hi,
    Thinking of renting a flat on the main part of cork street, across the road from Lidl.
    Could anyone please shed some light as what the area is like now(2016).
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Hi,
    Thinking of renting a flat on the main part of cork street, across the road from Lidl.
    Could anyone please shed some light as what the area is like now(2016).
    Thanks.

I'd say grand. I'm up and down it all the time. Handy for town and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It's grand, I just find it a very dull street but it might be nicer when the new park opens in the summer.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

There's a new gym opening in the new year which might add a bit of life to the street in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My friend lives on the dolphins barn end and was broken into four times this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Bear in mind, half of St. Teresa's has recently been demolished so probably a lot more building work and demolition in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shanemurphy95

Ya it should be fine, just entered into the lease so no going back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭subpar

Ya it should be fine, just entered into the lease so no going back now.

There are pros and cons no matter where you live. Good luck with everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lorcan1213

Well lads, got offered a spot by a friend to move in in the middle of eugene street off of cork street there. Was there today, thought the place looked run down but had a nice feel to it (currently live in dundrum which i find far too pretentious). Eugene street gets a bad rep in a few of the earlier comments from about 4 years ago, wondering if anyone knows whether its improved since then? How close it is to town & cheap rent are fantastic compared to waht im used to.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Michael_Res1

Im in the market for a new house. I checked out some places around cameron street and fingal street. Ive only ever been to this area of Cork street during the day. Just wondering how things are at the moment there. With the rising value of property prices, I have noted a number of properties for sale in that general area at the moment. Im wondering are people looking to get the way out of the place, echoing some of the comments above. Thought it would be nice to resurrect this post to see if things have changed.

Fingal Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Michael_Res1

Birneybau wrote: »
    Fingal Street?

Yes, Fingal Street, thanks.

Im in the market for a new house. I checked out some places around cameron street and fingal street. Ive only ever been to this area of Cork street during the day. Just wondering how things are at the moment there. With the rising value of property prices, I have noted a number of properties for sale in that general area at the moment. Im wondering are people looking to get the way out of the place based on some of the comments above. Thought it would be nice to resurrect this post to see if things have changed.

I'd say it may be due to the big development going to start on Player Wills and Bailey Gibson site and the future of the rest of Teresa's Gardens.

Was waiting for Gav to reply. It's definitely an area on the up, those specific roads I don't know.

So close to town and the Tenters and Portobello full of cafes and the likes.

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    Was waiting for Gav to reply. It's definitely an area on the up, those specific roads I don't know.

The Boards.ie D8 Guru :pac: soon to be a D8 ex-pat and converting to a D12 resident!

Personally the houses on them two roads are fairly small so wouldn't have appealed to me - around there would normally have been a bit iffy but the regeneration of the area has things better, there used to be a lane from Donore Ave onto Darley's Terrace which was always a dumping ground resulting in fires and crap but that's been blocked off with the new social housing.

I would recommend driving/walking around at different times of the day/night weekday/weekends. There's definitely a few abandoned houses - could be used as squats so be weary of them.

Advertisement