Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The nordic skiing thread

Options
  • 20-01-2015 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭

So, anyone here partaking in a bit of skiing now that winter has set in? There are great tracks here in Finland near my workplace, and I'm glad to have an outdoor activity to do after the dark months before Christmas.
    I just bought wax free skis.

So do you ski? Classic or skating style?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Telemark skiing, when I can stay upright. The advent of 'feller' (not sure what they are called in English) has revolutionised the distances I can go when up in the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

What's telemark skiing.

I am completely clueless when it comes to skiing. Bought wax free classic style skis last week and have been out on them twice, but last night, I had no grip at all. Was wondering if I had made the right choice with wax free, but apparently, as I found out today its very hard to get traction below -20. So there you are. Every day is a school day. I think -20 may also be my temperature limit to go out too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Telemark is supposedly the oldest and original form of skiing, i.e. to get from one valley to the next in winter. The skis are normally wider than cross country skis, but the technique can be used with those skis also. The turn is very usual and quite graceful when you get it right.

Here's a video of what it would typically look like (i.e. ski-hike up the valley into the mountains and come down at whatever speed you can manage)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I started out cross country and downhill skiing but left those behind all for the glory of snowboarding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

I only ski if I must :pac:
    I'm one of those nords who would much rather get some sunshine and warmth! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement