Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

juno10353 wrote: »

That Murrays in Kilmainham is the most yoyo pub ever, opened one week, closed the next, under new ownership every year! Was always empty or near empty over the years aside from when their was gigs on in the Royal Hospital.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its actually an ancient pub as well; albeit obviously the building was replaced with the apartment block its on the ground floor of now.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭vafankillar

sad to see graingers go, was on my to visit list for a good while and surely a place a lot of locals will miss.

seems like quite a few of the pubs were likely seeling or nearly selling before the lockdown. think ruinbar was beforehand at least

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ruin closed pre-lockdown with - apparently - an intent to move the staff to another pub the owner has which is still yet to reopen (The Dockers on John Rogersons Quay - was initially meant to open December '19 but was delayed). The building is physically gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

I do worry when the Covid is over. It's the littlle independent places who are struggling. The likes of Weatherspoons could swoop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I do worry when the Covid is over.

When will that be? Covid is not going away. It's a Corona virus, like colds and flu, only more virulent.

When it is over is when everyone learns to live with it. Vaccines will help, but etiquette change will remain essential for pubs to resume normal business.
    A lot of smaller pubs will not make the transition, It will then be up to us to lobby for the facades at least, to be preserved and sensitively retained with change of use.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's the littlle independent places who are struggling. The likes of Weatherspoons could swoop.
    Weatherspoon needs nightclubs, banks, cinemas, churches: big spaces. The little independent places will become apartments with their licences sold to become Spars and Lidls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭MOH

sad to see graingers go, was on my to visit list for a good while and surely a place a lot of locals will miss.

seems like quite a few of the pubs were likely seeling or nearly selling before the lockdown. think ruinbar was beforehand at least

Not sure if any of them are pandemic-related.
    Dark Horse was closed for years.
    I was in the Sackville in Feb after it had reopened - did it get sold again after that?

A lot of the others seem to be related to developments that were under way anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

The Sackvillelounge website says its permanently closed due to C19. Fado I Overheard in Dublin rumour that Sackville taken over by Chinese mafia! Still holding onto delusional hope that The (C) Box, Briodys, Brannigans, Dame, Sackville reopen in March 21...

The Sackville was taken over by the group that run Mulligan & Haines, after the website had been updated to say it was closed again from the previous operators. They intend to reopen it when possible to do so without food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Great news.

I hope Sackville keeps their simple toasties go great with VitaminG

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

juno10353 wrote: »
    Black Forge in Drimnagh under ownership of Conor McGregor

Free shot of whiskey or punch in the head for every customer :P

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

Free shot of whiskey or punch in the head for every customer :P

Who's the licensee?
    Traditionally, one was supposed to be of good character.

Planning has gone in for a hotel (cause what the feck else could it be?) on the site of Dublin's most wrecked but still standing pub - the Barley Mow on Francis Street.

Took a ramble around town this pm was up for a hotwhiskey none to be had. Dame boarded up, Bankers and Palace temporarily shut and Longhall closed near 11months. Quite saddening and hopefully the pub sector will benefit from the easing of restrictions on 5th march 2021....

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭vafankillar

pottokblue wrote: »
    Took a ramble around town this pm was up for a hotwhiskey none to be had. Dame boarded up, Bankers and Palace temporarily shut and Longhall closed near 11months. Quite saddening and hopefully the pub sector will benefit from the easing of restrictions on 5th march 2021....

other than committting more financial supports, can't see anything changing on march 5th in terms of actual guidelines. Take away pints are still technically allowed currently, but maybe the shift to level 4 could give them the space to resume without being shamed too much.

I imagine there won't be any indoor dining now till the pandemic is finished, so outside seating for the summer is the most likely scenario imo. which i dontt really mind, just hope more places do it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

'Pubs' as most remember them are probably a year away again

The 15 people outdoor dining MIGHT resume March 5th but I really don't think they want any type of street drinking being easy on Paddys Day, so expect it to be after that at least.

[quote="L1011;116100621" I really don't think they want any type of street drinking being easy on Paddys Day, so expect it to be after that at least.[/quote]

June or July is probably more realistic.

Hopefully dining in gastro pubs will be possible by Easter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭mikekerry

retalivity wrote: »
    'Pubs' as most remember them are probably a year away again

and at that how many of those will ever reopen again. So many probably shut for good.
    The feeling of walking into a busy pub with great atmosphere such as the long hall or mulligans it's hard to know if this will ever be back?

Long time since either of them were worth a visit.

Though I'd take them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Long time since either of them were worth a visit.

Though I'd take them now.

A bit harsh on the Long Hall but 100% agree about Mulligans. Very overrated

ShyMets wrote: »
    A bit harsh on the Long Hall but 100% agree about Mulligans. Very overrated

The only time Mulligan's was ever on my radar with any regularity was while I finished work early of a Friday and we had to wait for Kennedy's to open.

The Long Hall is fine but awful when busy, but I'd sooner walk that little bit further and grab my spot in the Swan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The only time Mulligan's was ever on my radar with any regularity was while I finished work early of a Friday and we had to wait for Kennedy's to open.

The Long Hall is fine but awful when busy, but I'd sooner walk that little bit further and grab my spot in the Swan.

Elite pints of Guinness in the Swan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I always really liked Kennedys though in my experience there were hardly ever anybody in it which was kind of part of the attraction for me! That was on weekends, dont know what it was like on weekdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I always really liked Kennedys though in my experience there were hardly ever anybody in it which was kind of part of the attraction for me! That was on weekends, dont know what it was like on weekdays.

It was a great spot before it had its makeover. Its sadly gone down hill since then

The Nal wrote: »
    Elite pints of Guinness in the Swan

I'm gonna sob when I get my first one after all this.

It was a great spot before it had its makeover. Its sadly gone down hill since then

The original makeover after the flood back in 08/09 was great and needed. The atmosphere and locals/regulars remained.

I haven't darkened the door of it after the Workshop travesty happened. And as my mates will tell you, I've not exactly gotten over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Its years since i used to pop in, i remember the nice elderly barman there and the younger guy i assume was his son. Never said much but there was just a good old fashioned vibe to it i really appreciated.

Advertisement