Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Outlet Store - South Great George's Street

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

humberklog wrote: »
    This was the view from The Long Hall today...

Am I just being thick, do those blocks go onto the wall, or will they be placed properly inside the metal frame?
    So the building would come out an extra 2-3 feet (or that's how it looks in the picture) or more but not for any extra room inside.
    So a window would be recessed? :confused:

If that is the case, why not just put tiles on to the building? Would they have the risk of falling off?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Suckit wrote: »
    Am I just being thick, do those blocks go onto the wall, or will they be placed properly inside the metal frame?
    So the building would come out an extra 2-3 feet (or that's how it looks in the picture) or more but not for any extra room inside.
    So a window would be recessed? :confused:

If that is the case, why not just put tiles on to the building? Would they have the risk of falling off?

Those are weights to basically hold the front up until there's a building behind it again. They aren't permanent.

The internals weren't worth saving - it had been a hotel, then replaced in the 60s offices / retail on the upper floors and a tacky 80s retail fitout downstairs

Ahh..

So their only purpose is to be weights?

I would love to see the interior 60's offices :) Unlikely anybody has those?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I was really hoping that the work on this corner would mean widened footpaths on Stephen Street, but the artist's impression doesn't imply that.

Shame. One way street with tiny foothpaths, that people have to step off of to pass each-other..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I was really hoping that the work on this corner would mean widened footpaths on Stephen Street, but the artist's impression doesn't imply that.

Shame. One way street with tiny foothpaths, that people have to step off of to pass each-other..

Not much the developer can do about that. It's a public footpath so it would be DCC who have to do decide whether to widen it.

• Advertisement

If they agreed?
    I saw the plans in a suburban town where they tore down 5 cottages to build apartments, they put up builders hoarding (presumably to not let the town know they were flooring the cottages), and when they built the apartments, the pathway was smaller. The owner was ordered to pay all fines, but afaik they were all taken from him by nama anyway, so no idea who paid then.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The hoarding would be a safety and security measure Suckit.

In engineering I learned "if it looks wrong it's probably wrong".

I'll be walking on the opposite side of the road anyway.

To me it looks right, perhaps a bit on the safe side! An awful lot of ballast there. I'd be happy enough walking along that side of the street for sure!

The hoarding would be a safety and security measure Suckit.

Sorry, I should have ellaborated more, but I just wanted to get to the point about the pathway shrinking.
    The hoarding in this instance was also to hide from the public what was going on behind it.

I have seen people looking for legal action, but I don't see the point (original owner is broke i think).

The hoarding was huge, and I believe everybody thought the cottages wouldn't be touched (because they were listed, allegedly). I saw the hoarding and I was told some nonsense (I didn't know at the time was nonsense) and never thought about it again, until I was there again a year or more later, and was told that it was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

VonLuck wrote: »
    Not much the developer can do about that. It's a public footpath so it would be DCC who have to do decide whether to widen it.

Yeah I figured (possibly foolishly) that the developer would tie in with DCC during planning stages, and that DCC would use the opportunity to work something out.

More wishful thinking than anything else. DCC love big streets and tiny footpaths. I should have known better. Ah sure we'll see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Johnnygeorge

I am desperately searching for old images of The Outlet Store, images or Elevations. I'm in my final year of architecture school and any images will really help out. Ideally I would like images or elevations pre-The Outlet Store. if they even exist... I have seen everything on the county council website.
    Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When you say county council, do you mean dublincity.ie?
    There are elevation drawings in 5827/05, 2452/13, 2546/18 Some have photos.

There is also a line drawing (though not architectural standard) in Shaw's Dublin City Directory of 1850.

512291.jpg

People like archiseek may have more, or upstairs in Pearse St. library, when the libraries re-open.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Johnnygeorge

Thanks, Yes I mean Dublincity.ie.
    I'm trying too see if the ugly white Outlet store bit was always there or if it was ever a full red brick building.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The portico bit was not there the entire time. May have been added when Dockrells Hardware moved in after the fire.

You should check out the Architectural Heritage Assessment in the planning application for the current development. There is a picture / postcard image included, but they note "few historic images of the building have been found".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It’s intriguing that they have continued working on the building during the lock in. The support for the facade was removed about 10 days ago and windows have been fitted to all the opes in said facade over the past week. Not exactly essential works!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Jizique

Marcusm wrote: »
    It’s intriguing that they have continued working on the building during the lock in. The support for the facade was removed about 10 days ago and windows have been fitted to all the opes in said facade over the past week. Not exactly essential works!

Street was partly closed using a stop-go system, so easier to do it when no traffic around; that is the only reason I could think of

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I knew the guy who owned it ( now deceased)from the eighties to end boom bought for 500k punts sold 17m euros. Bought from Dockrells.A nice profit at 20% CGT... Did very well out of it as he was an immigrant to Ireland likely without a euro to his name .I remember he had a nice new Mercedes S class back in the late eighties. I think it was a 260. An engine not available in Ireland ( I like cars and have the 500 coupe version if it today)
    It actually was a clothes shop that moved to fashion city when that was built. In between it was a tile store and had the Jaipur restaurant on the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

VonLuck wrote: »
    You should check out the Architectural Heritage Assessment in the planning application for the current development. There is a picture / postcard image included, but they note "few historic images of the building have been found".

I've been looking for pics of that building for years and recently found this old postcard online. It seems to have been some building. Typical of the time they plonked the stamp on the front of the card unfortunately partly obscuring the upper part of the building.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Interesting to see how South Great George's St. became South Gate, George's St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

What years that from? Looks to be a sign with "Soldiers Home" and a big union jack on it, on the right hand side

retalivity wrote: »
    What years that from? Looks to be a sign with "Soldiers Home" and a big union jack on it, on the right hand side

Card is postmarked November 1916 but the image is most likely from the 1890s or at a stretch the very early 1900s.

retalivity wrote: »

Just did a bit of googling and it was the Wolseley Soldiers Home and the address was 41 South Great Georges Street. It's there in the 1901 Census but gone by the 1911 Census when it's recorded as a shop.

The soldier's home was opened in September 1895.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

QO-00090-SOUTH_GREAT_GEORGES_STREET-D.jpg

A little further up the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

How far is the construction now? Presumably affected by lockdown?

Advertisement