Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invalidity pension self employed

• 17-04-2021 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I’m suffering from a condition that I’m almost sure will allow me qualify for invalidity pension. I’m self employed but can no longer do the main part of the job and I have a family member employed who has taken on most of the burden.

I have read that self employed people can claim invalidity pension but I’m confused with the qualifying rules. It says you must have had the illness for a year. I was diagnosed last October 2020. If I remove myself from the business do I have to wait a whole year before I can apply?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Invalidity Pension:

To qualify you must:
    • have been incapable of work for at least 12 months and be likely to be incapable of work for at least another 12 months (you may have been getting Illness Benefit or Disability Allowance during that time) or
    • be permanently incapable of work (in certain cases of very serious illness or disability, you can transfer directly from another social welfare payment or from your job to Invalidity Pension).

So it depends on your condition to be honest. If you are now permanently incapable of work up until retirement age, then you can apply now. If you do not have that diagnosis currently, you need to wait a year from when you were first incapable, and have a diagnosis that says you won't be capable for at least another year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

I’m suffering from a condition that I’m almost sure will allow me qualify for invalidity pension. I’m self employed but can no longer do the main part of the job and I have a family member employed who has taken on most of the burden.

I have read that self employed people can claim invalidity pension but I’m confused with the qualifying rules. It says you must have had the illness for a year. I was diagnosed last October 2020. If I remove myself from the business do I have to wait a whole year before I can apply?

For example I was talking on Friday to the wife of a man (self employed) who sadly had a massive stroke in November. He is badly paralyzed as a result and applied for invalidity pension in January and was awarded in February.

Advertisement