Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda crackdown on cyclists started today

• 17-07-2013 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Morning all

In my haste this morning I stupidly ran a red light and was rightly stopped by a Garda. He then informed me that a new operation was starting today and all offences carried out by cyclists over the next few days will be dealt with in court.

My fault in full today and I not looking for any sympathy here (not likely to get it either). This is a heads up to warn anyone else who might on occasion run a light jump onto a footpath or anyone of the other myriad of offences that cyclists perform on a daily basis.

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Hang them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Raam wrote: »
    Hang them all.

The Gards or the cyclists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I reckon he was using Section B of the Ways and Means Act - there's nothing on either the Garda or the RSA website and usually they're pretty good about over hyping these things.

Saying that - good enough for you:D

Crucifixion's not bloody good enough for the likes of you:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

No harm indeed. In is in the best interests of cyclists, pedestrians, and motorists alike.

Well done An Garda Siochana:)

hardCopy wrote: »
    The Gards or the cyclists?

Both - let God sort them out.......

• Advertisement

No harm indeed. In is in the best interests of cyclists, pedestrians, and motorists alike.

Well done An Garda Siochana:)

I see the advance guard of the pitchfork wielding mob have arrived.......

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Really?

Because I saw a Garda cycling in a LUAS-only lane breaking a red light and swerving around pedestrians who were crossing with a green man this morning.

I sh1t you not.

If the Gardai don't even care themselves about these things, I'm skeptical about their willingness to bother stopping anyone else for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I hope they also crack down on motorists who accelerate past me to get through amber lights which I am stopping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I personally hope they park a car near the Donnycarney church junction of the Malahide road, we could probably set a record for the amount of cyclists summoned to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

del_boy13 wrote: »
    He then informed me that a new operation was starting today and all offences carried out by cyclists over the next few days will be dealt with in court.

Provided that the offence is something deeply antisocial that affects millions of people, like rolling through a red light, rather than something terribly complicated and abstract like bringing down a large bank or running out of the country with tens of millions of euro of other people's money lodged in your wife's bank accounts. If it's the latter, sure, go right ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

The same Garda stopped a van in the bus lane 5 minutes later so its not just cyclists he was out for today.

No defence for my own offence but it does seem crazy that the only way it can be dealt with is a summons to court. it will take 6 months before the summons arrives and the court date will be a few months after that. Not the best way of dealing with a minor traffic offense IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭redzerredzer

seamus wrote: »
    Really?

Because I saw a Garda cycling in a LUAS-only lane breaking a red light and swerving around pedestrians who were crossing with a green man this morning.

I sh1t you not.

If the Gardai don't even care themselves about these things, I'm skeptical about their willingness to bother stopping anyone else for it.

Are you serious. Of course they will stop people as they see fit while driving/cycling any way they want.

I have seen many Garda cars speeding and been stopped for speeding myself.
    I have seen several Garda on mobile phone while driving and been stopped for that too.
    Met a Garda from an ad on done deal last year. He parked illegally and obstructed traffic for the 5 mins we talked. I would not expect to get away with the same.

I hope I'm right on this one, but I reckon he won't summons you he was just putting the frighteners on you - did he ask for name and address, and some form of identification?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

Lumen wrote: »
    Provided that the offence is something deeply antisocial that affects millions of people, like rolling through a red light, rather than something terribly complicated and abstract like bringing down a large bank or running out of the country with tens of millions of euro of other people's money lodged in your wife's bank accounts. If it's the latter, sure, go right ahead.

Were the cyclists nama?

in fairness if you break the law so blatantly as to go through a red light you deserve to get pulled up in front of a judge, im sure he will be sympathetic to your plight if you launch into a Joe higgins-esque rant about the banks.

It was full name address and identification. I also got his name and badge number for my own records.

I have dealt with the Gardai in the past and it didn't come across as a warning or we will scare this fella. I wasn't arguing with him about the offence or trying to deny it. It was a very clear and fact based conversation.

If it was just a ticking off I would be surprised he didn't just threaten me with summons. It was very clear I will be sent a summons and it was not just a ticking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Morning all

In my haste this morning I stupidly ran a red light and was rightly stopped by a Garda. He then informed me that a new operation was starting today and all offences carried out by cyclists over the next few days will be dealt with in court.

My fault in full today and I not looking for any sympathy here (not likely to get it either). This is a heads up to warn anyone else who might on occasion run a light jump onto a footpath or anyone of the other myriad of offences that cyclists perform on a daily basis.

:(

Where was this red light you cycled through?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

seamus wrote: »

They dont stop motorists so why stop bikers?

I was out this morning and saw no fewer than 15 cars braking lights and its like that every morning. As I was out so early I was lucky to see another cyclists (except the same gobsh1t that cycles the wrong way a cycle lane).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

rabble rabble, yeah sure all laws of the state become obsolete because the suits haven't been prosecuted yet... :rolleyes:

Santry at the flyover.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Santry at the flyover.

What time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Uriel. wrote: »
    rabble rabble, yeah sure all laws of the state become obsolete because the suits haven't been prosecuted yet... :rolleyes:

Eventually, yes. Where does the authority of the State come from?

I noticed driving standards dropped significantly around about 2010 when there was nothing but grim news. It was like people just didn't a crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Can you imagine what would happen if they caught a banker on a bike breaking a red light.

Just after 8.30 I was so busy looking at the traffic ahead and trying to judge if it was safe to keep going I never checked the line of cars for Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Eventually, yes. Where does the authority of the State come from?

I noticed driving standards dropped significantly around about 2010 when there was nothing but grim news. It was like people just didn't a crap.

maybe it's enforcement that has dropped, due to lack of resources for AGS.

Either way, I hope and expect that the laws of the land are implemented correctly and don't believe that because one person has (so far) gotten away with something that all other laws should be disregarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Can you imagine what would happen if they caught a banker on a bike breaking a red light.

Probably something like "ooooh excuse me sir - let me move all these pesky pedestrains and vechicals out of your way so that you can continue ruining our country without obstacles"

It was full name address and identification. I also got his name and badge number for my own records.

I have dealt with the Gardai in the past and it didn't come across as a warning or we will scare this fella. I wasn't arguing with him about the offence or trying to deny it. It was a very clear and fact based conversation.

If it was just a ticking off I would be surprised he didn't just threaten me with summons. It was very clear I will be sent a summons and it was not just a ticking off.

Doesn't sound great - good luck with it.
    Santry at the flyover.

I was stopped by Santry Garda last week - for not using the cycle 'lane' (the bit of the pavement defined by the faint white line) at Northwood.

Santry Guards must have feck all else to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

This is a heads up to warn anyone else who might on occasion run a light jump onto a footpath or anyone of the other myriad of offences that cyclists perform on a daily basis.

I think you mean that some cyclists perform on a daily basis.

As far as getting a summons being an over reaction this strikes me as similar to the clamping issue. Before clamping people largely didn't care about the tickets they either didn't pay them or considered them part of the cost of driving and just parked wherever they want. Add a decent amount of inconvenience to the offender and suddenly things change.

On the subject of warnings a few months ago I saw a cyclist get flagged down by a motorcycle guard for going through a red light and presumably given a warning. When I was stopped at another red further down the road the same guy blew past me through the red light then mounted the foot path and cycled off. I'm not sure how effective warnings are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

So now we got to take our passport of driving license when we are out for a cycle:eek:

"Just wait one sec guard.. I think it's in here; don't mind that pube it won't harm you.. and that dampness; well that's OK too"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Grow up.

• Advertisement

HivemindXX wrote: »
    I think you mean that some cyclists perform on a daily basis.

I already said that it was on occasion that cyclists break the rules of the road. Some cyclists never break the rules and fair play to them but I do think that almost everyone at some point will do something that could be seen as being a breach of the rule.

Advertisement