Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 johnwalters123

3. Jeremy Loughman
    4. David O'Connor
    8. Nick Timoney
    14. Zach O'Hagan
    15. Jack Power

Starting 5th years for Blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

3. Jeremy Loughman
    4. David O'Connor
    8. Nick Timoney
    14. Zach O'Hagan
    15. Jack Power

Starting 5th years for Blackrock

That all? The papers were making them out to be a team of U17's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 johnwalters123

Quint2010 wrote: »

Yeah, don't know what the papers were on about. Four 5th years on the bench and one 4th year

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Where is everyone getting this notion of Roscrea having a pack capable of destroying Terenure ?? If Andy Roche, Rob Lalor and Paddy Thornton were on any other team they would be hailed as some of the best players in this tournament, its only due to the backline that they dont get recognition. I think Terenure will beat Roscrea and will win the battle in the forwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

Quint2010 wrote: »

A lot of subs are in fifth year and have played for the team throughout the year

• Advertisement

'Michaels V Clongowes
    'Nure V Roscrea
    CBC V Newbridge
    'Rock V Kilkenny.

South Dublin V Rest of Leinster?..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Where is everyone getting this notion of Roscrea having a pack capable of destroying Terenure ?? If Andy Roche, Rob Lalor and Paddy Thornton were on any other team they would be hailed as some of the best players in this tournament, its only due to the backline that they dont get recognition. I think Terenure will beat Roscrea and will win the battle in the forwards

Well they have Jacob Walshe who has played for Connacht A, Oisin Heffernan who is playing Ireland schools, Sean O'Brien who is the Connacht U20s captain and Ireland u18 rep and in the team of the week and Rory Moloney who is the Ireland schools captain. And judging by what I saw last week it is a very dynamic pack with a very solid set-piece.

I'm not claiming Roscrea will destroy them in the pack. But I do think Roscrea have the upper hand there just like Nure will have in the backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

They have quite a lot. They have a full front row, full second row, scrum half, outhalf, wing and fullback (including subs) which will feature next and of course Timoney at 8, Going to be close between Rock and Michaels I believe.
    This thing of it being a team of 5th years has been completely over-hyped...there were 5 starting on sunday, hardly the majority of the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SpermDoner

funtime93 wrote: »
    Going a bit far saying there amongst the strongest in the world.Most Kiwi and Aussie schools would trounce them.[/
    Played for an Aussie school side last year and can say they would destroy any Irish schools team. Would go as far to say a few of the AIL teams would struggle to beat them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

5 rock fifth year starters, 4 subs, and 1 4th year. Bodes well for next year as well as looking promising this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

SpermDoner wrote: »
    Played for an Aussie school side last year and can say they would destroy any Irish schools team. Would go as far to say a few of the AIL teams would struggle to beat them

Deeply subjective, wouldn't agree with it necessarily. I saw a touring NZ school absolutely spanked by Blackrock's second team last term, and many Ozzie / Kiwi guys I've talked to speak very highly of the quality of schools rugby here.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭gfitz95

I disagree emphatically with you there. Terenure have the best team and if they turn it on they will win the cup. Although if they play like they did against Belvo they wont get very far. Look at some of the players they have, Brewer, O 'Neill, Dardis, Doyle, Lalor, Schmidt. The three best players left in the tournement hail of Terenure, Ross Byrne would be up there too. What im saying is that if Terenure click they will be near impossible to beat, what they lack is a real goalkicker and perhaps balance across the backline but for me they are still favourites going by the fact that they cant play worse than the Belvo game

Ridiculous statement to say that the three best players hail from terenure,byrne from michaels and rock/timoney from rock along with dardis are the best players left in the competition.Both schmidt and lalor are only average with neither starting leinster 18s,brewer has been proven to be not that good and the jurys still out on stephen o neill.Both rock and michaels are the better teams with the better coaches thus one of them will win the competition.IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

ALH-06 wrote: »
    Deeply subjective, wouldn't agree with it necessarily. I saw a touring NZ school absolutely spanked by Blackrock's second team last term, and many Ozzie / Kiwi guys I've talked to speak very highly of the quality of schools rugby here.

The team Rock beat are known in NZ for being pretty crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Leinster5

The dream tie for me has happened. Clongowes vs St. Michaels will be a cracker, and hopefully will draw a big crowd on the Friday afternoon. In my opinion, we'll be seeing the two best fly-halfs{Byrne and Cleary} and hookers{Donnellan and Allen} in the competition going against eachother. Both teams also have quality all over the pitch, but I feel Clongowes don't have the fire power in the pack to live with St. Michaels. Fromm v Kelleher will be another titanic battle. Fancy 'Michaels to edge it by a few points though. Also see Roscrea pushing Terenure close, but not enough to win, and I imagine Blackock will get through without much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Israel dagg and a couple of other all blacks came from that school

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dublinman180

Does anyone know what the pricing is for tickets in tallaght stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭TheTalk

Michaels need to start o'keefe, Harold and leahy, why was o'keefe on the bench? Donnelan will tear allen to pieces, keelan will tear penny to pieces. Strong clongowes backline consisting of cleary Lappin Fromm Burke Jeffares o donoghue. But michaels could edge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I played against lindisfarne College when I was in Rock and from talking to the lads who stayed with me they wouldn't be one of the top teams in New Zealand. They said that they were about the 4th or 5th best team on the north island so maybe around the 10th best school in New Zealand, still respectable

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DMCC87

Michaels No.12 , Gilsenan seems to be very skillful and controls the game well

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

TheTalk wrote: »
    Michaels need to start o'keefe, Harold and leahy, why was o'keefe on the bench? Donnelan will tear allen to pieces, keelan will tear penny to pieces. Strong clongowes backline consisting of cleary Lappin Fromm Burke Jeffares o donoghue. But michaels could edge it.

Clongowes didnt look great against Gerards. I hope they turn up just to make it a good match but i think that Michaels will beat them by 10-20 points. Clongowes pack is tiny and their backline is decent. Fromm and Cleary carry the team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SpermDoner

ALH-06 wrote: »
    They may well have beaten a NZ team but I'm talking about Oz. They might speak highly but still doesn't compare to the standard of the NSW GPS teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

SpermDoner wrote: »
    They may well have beaten a NZ team but I'm talking about Oz. They might speak highly but still doesn't compare to the standard of the NSW GPS teams.

The top Irish schools of their own year have acquitted themselves quite well in years past versus all manners of schools abroad. I'm not sure why people can find it hard to believe that a school population in one country is automatically inferior to another, just because it's Australia, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Whats the story with Fromm, I saw an article on him today that says he is a German u19 international....I presume if he is good enough he will be able to play for Ireland still?

Is he that promising? Academy prospect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Whats the story with Fromm, I saw an article on him today that says he is a German u19 international....I presume if he is good enough he will be able to play for Ireland still?

Is he that promising? Academy prospect?

A lot of people on here seem to rate him, from my watching he looks like a strong ball carrying 12. My memory is of him getting a nasty head blow last year and being taken off by ambulance.

I doubt he'll get picked up by the Academy this year, seeing as he wasn't involved in either the Leinster or Ireland underage teams. But if he's as good as people are making him out to be he may well force his way in their next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Player14

TheTalk wrote: »

Complete bs in that statement. You hardly know more than the 'Michaels coaches do and after seeing Allen and Penny vs a tough Castleknock side (physically) i doubt anyone will tear them to pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rozzer8

Not a notion of how destructive this pack is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Belvo vs KK JCT match is cancelled

Belvedere/Kilkenny and Roscrea/Gerrards JCT matches postponed until tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lobby Con Shine

Where has someone said Roscrea would "destroy" them? Nobody will destroy Terenure up front.

However, Roscrea's pack is filled with Ireland and provincial representatives and will pose a serious challenge to the Terenure pack. There is no question but that Terenure have superior backs.

• Advertisement

Where has someone said Roscrea would "destroy" them? Nobody will destroy Terenure up front.

However, Roscrea's pack is filled with Ireland and provincial representatives and will pose a serious challenge to the Terenure pack. There is no question but that Terenure have superior backs.

Terenure's pack contains 7 players that have represented Leinster and three who have represented Ireland schools. Their set piece went very well against Belvedere. I wouldn't be having too many worries about them up front to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement