Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Far Cry 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

4 man coop

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

dreamers75 wrote: »
    4 man coop

Awesome,co op fun over xmas so

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Agricola wrote: »
    Yeah, its like the enemy tagging, seeing them thru walls gimmick etc. Is it realistic? No. Does it enable you to act like the ultimate predator and engineer really cool scenarios which maxmise the fun you're having, yes without doubt.

I can see why people would want options to at least turn these off if they want, but I think they are a crucial factor in why the game is the hit that it is.

I would prefer to be able to mark them on the mini-map as is (a la Far Cry 1 really) but not in the first person world. You could still do most of what you mention using said mini-map but without the silly day-glow intrusions on the game world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

We got multiplayer co-op to work by getting someone on UPC broadband to bypass their router so it must just be a NAT/UPNP problem. It works ok as long as that person is hosting, thanks for the ideas anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

SON OF A MOTHER****ING BITCH!!!!!!!

I want to punch my screen in with this mission
    trying to kill multiple Vaaseses in the hallucination

I can't stand in games when you have to attempt the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again.

And the stupid difficulty settings seem to be stuck on warrior.

How the **** to I get to the end that his nightmare?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just walk slowly, shoot carefully and reload whenever there's a break in vaas's. dont shoot at them from miles off, let them get close enough that each bullet counts and go easy on the trigger. as few bullets per vaas as possible if what you're aiming for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

The second island is no fun

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I was kind of thinking that, but now that i'm mixing things up, it's more fun. I pretty much went stealth in every Outpost on the 1st island, but i'm having a blast finding fun ways of clearing them now. Laying down a load of C4 and killing everyone at the same time. Or just going in with a grenade launcher or flamethrower and and burning it all to the ground.

Great fun. On the last mission now as well, but need 2 skill points to max out my tattoo first.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

why do you say that? :)

also did they release mod tools?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

is there any way to check how long i played the game for? on steam it tells you the playtime for all your games but I cant see anything like that on uplay

It shows up in Steam how long you have played it for so check that and not UPlay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

also did they release mod tools?

Editor is pretty decent, you could in theory remake the game with it.

Adding of models etc suppose could be done as all assets are within the game files un encrypted.

****ing Uplay. Won't connect or sync with the server, and won't let me start my game because of it. Gah! Nothing worse than stopping a single player game with an online activation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Kiith wrote: »
    ****ing Uplay. Won't connect or sync with the server, and won't let me start my game because of it. Gah! Nothing worse than stopping a single player game with an online activation.
    Go into settings and start uplay in offline mode.

Ah it started working after a while. And now i've cleared it :)

Fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Well this is one of the most positive reviews from him in a longtime so I'm glad.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6603-Far-Cry-3

He may spoil the end of the game kinda-ish in the last 40 seconds but I haven't finished the game yet (
    currently doing Nathan Drake style shenanigans with Buck
    ) myself and he didn't reveal anything you wouldn't have guessed anyway. It's well worth your 5 minutes!

Loved the last mission
    in the helicopter, with Ride of the Valkyries playing. Totally cheesy, but totally brilliant. Also, just watched the other ending (side with Citra) on Youtube. Hilariously evil and over the top.

yahtzee chose the
    kill all your friends option

how surprising

he said it was **** though, the fool

also i hated that mission.
    as far as on the rails sections goes it actually wasnt that bad as the mounted weapons in far cry are ridiculously OP (or maybe they're just UP in other games considering what they are). I just wanted it to be over so I could go do the next mission

actually

am I the only one who thought hoyt was a better character than vaas?

I liked vaas, he was very good... but I was really impressed by hoyt and wished there was far more of him in the game.

So is the 1.03 update stopping you guys from starting the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the game plays perfect for me after the patch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Finally finished it, everything done except the Relics and sickly amount of treasure (which is unnecessary as i can't take any more money!).

The ending was, well, typical i suppose.
    It didn't strike me as the type of game that would have a choice ending, but i still picked save Moaney McHotass, which appears to have been the better choice, considering the alternative.

Overall a brilliant game, which allows you to overlook the bugs and glitches to give possibly the GOTY experience. Plus, it had the best mission ever in any game: Bun Dem! Should be an award for that mission alone!

Now to trade it in and finally play Dishonored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Could anyone give me a rough estimate of how long the game is?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

danthefan wrote: »
    Could anyone give me a rough estimate of how long the game is?

Its not something you could put a definitive time on, although I don't see how anyone could reasonably blaze through all the missions and outposts in less than 15-20 hours, although I'm not quite finished my first play through looks like it will surpass the 40 hour mark comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

im on the buck missions now but i'm sort of fed up of the game atm. i've cleared the island of all outposts so theres no danger/fun in exploring the island. The buck missions are like a mix between a bad FPS and a bad uncharted rip off

maybe im just in a slump. ive seen little of Vass at the moment which is a pitty cause he is a great character :(

do you get the chance to fly helicopters?
    also is there a way to include cehicles in the map editor? i only played around on it for a half hour but couldnt seem to find them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

EyeSight wrote: »

No.

EyeSight wrote: »
    im on the buck missions now but i'm sort of fed up of the game atm. i've cleared the island of all outposts so theres no danger/fun in exploring the island. The buck missions are like a mix between a bad FPS and a bad uncharted rip off

maybe im just in a slump. ive seen little of Vass at the moment which is a pitty cause he is a great character :(

also is there a way to include cehicles in the map editor? i only played around on it for a half hour but couldnt seem to find them

i burnt myself out on it too towards the end of the first island so I took a break from playing it for 3 days, then when I went back I just finished up the first island as fast as I could and moved onto the second

taking a few days break now before I go back to clear up the remaining outposts

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah I do wonder if they have over compensated for the criticism for the way Far Cry 2 re-populated check points with enemies. It would be a nice touch if once you have done all the wanted/hunting missions at an outpost that would trigger pirates to start attacking them and either they win and take it back or lose (the outcome could be dynamic) and then you'd have a few of them driving around in the area again too. Would be completely up to you to bother with liberating the outpost again.

if there is mod support for the game coming i'd imagine one of the first mods will be respawning enemies

the developers won't know what to think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

After doing all the bases and towers and most of the missions here's a few things I would change:
    • I agree with the notion of enemies taking back bases.
    • No free weapons -Everything has to be worked for.
    • No flashing enemies/plants/weapons etc. Takes away from the realism.
    • View camera pictures anytime and option to upload to a website (Like Fifa's videos)
    • More rugged weapons like machetes, swords, crossbow early on instead of firearms etc.
    • Make it harder to craft - More animals needed etc.
    • Make more of an incentive to make money after the missions to improve game longevity such as owning the mansion, other houses etc.
    • Not a big fan of the enemy/animal marking - get rid of the marking and the game gets much harder!

• Advertisement

• Not a big fan of the enemy/animal marking - get rid of the marking and the game gets much harder!

I'm with you on all of them except this one. Marking enemies with your camera is part and parcel of far cry games and expected by most far cry player imo. That is why I would simply get rid of them off the main game world but keep the marking for the mini-map like it has been in the past. It's not quite as bad as saying get rid of the crowbar from half-life but it is a well known trademark of the games.

Advertisement