Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco EPC2425 modem/router help

• 03-09-2009 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

got the UPC 10Mb BB installed today and wanted to go through the setting of the modem/router (used to have the Scientific Atlantic or something), and it wont let me into the setup page without a username and password. phoned UPC and they gave me the generic UN/Pass which doesnt work. technical adviser logged in from his PC with the password "fine" apparently. he also "cant change the password or username as it is given by Cisco and used on all their modems supplied to UPC"

if i press cancel i get
    HTTP 401 - Unauthorized

Authorization is required to access the configuration server.

You must enter the correct username and/or password.

but then im able to click on other tabs, none of which work except "system" tab, which is useless.

if i click on another tab i get
    This feature is not enabled.

This feature has not been enabled in your cable modem.

To exit this page, chose any of the other tabs or click on the "Back" button on your browser tool bar to return to the previous page.

i also asked the technition if he could enable the tabs, but his reply was "why? you dont really need any of those settings. the modem works fine as it is"

he told me to phone a dedicated PC repair phone line and offered numbers.

this is really starting to annoy me. do i have to fork out for a new cable modem and wireless router?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I suppose the other tabs contain data that only they are privvy to.
    In reality if they started giving out access to all th ecable modems screens they'd have a nightmare with people screwing up settings and ringing if line stats seemed bad but had no actuall effect on their service.

You cant buy your own modem though, has to be provisioned for by them and I seriously doubt they would do that for any purchased modem for the above reasons and that they couldnt train staff on how to troubleshoot every poss cable modem you could buy.

Its really up to an ISP to decide how much line visablity they allow you.
    At the end of the day what we buy is broadband access not the right to start muddling round in the supplied equipment really?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

thanks for the reply.

correct me if im wrong but doesnt the equipment supplied belong to me? so i can use it as i see fit?

my WPA key is rediculously simple and i want to change it. i also want to open ports for uTorrent and the xbox. are we no longer allowed to do these things? this is ridiculous. can i request the older equipment with the netgear router? at least then i can buy my own linksys router and get some 3rd party firmware on it to monitor my usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    thanks for the reply.

correct me if im wrong but doesnt the equipment supplied belong to me? so i can use it as i see fit?

my WPA key is rediculously simple and i want to change it. i also want to open ports for uTorrent and the xbox. are we no longer allowed to do these things? this is ridiculous. can i request the older equipment with the netgear router? at least then i can buy my own linksys router and get some 3rd party firmware on it to monitor my usage.

Nope the modem is only rented from them, just had my HD stb installled for 60bucks upgrade and I still dont own that stb.

Mate of mine wanted to open ports alright on his wifi modem (have the earlier cisco wired version myself) but they refer to their premium line for "advanced" setting changes. Can see where they are coming from though seeing as opening ports etc is only needed to accomidate 3rd party software not their connection.

Dont think you can get the older seperate cisco modem and netgear router anymore. Just the modem if your not taking the wifi extra off them.
    Was reading that on one of these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

hightower1 wrote: »

Dont think you can get the older seperate cisco modem and netgear router anymore. Just the modem if your not taking the wifi extra off them.
    Was reading that on one of these threads.

They only supply that abomination the Cisco 2425 now. Firmware half finished and looks like it was written by a 2 year old. The list of bugs with the modem is endless. I really would have expected better from Cisco.

I want my Scientific Atlantic back but they say they don't supply them anymore so tough luck.

Anybody want to trade a pos Cisco 2425 for a Scientific Atlantic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Tea_bag iv a Scientific Atlanta at the house if u want it so give me a text

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

NTMK wrote: »
    Tea_bag iv a Scientific Atlanta at the house if u want it so give me a text
    i imagine you'll have a job convincing UPC to let you use that, even if it is one of theirs in the first place (incidentally, that SA modem is not yours, it's theirs on loan to you as hightower1 already said, so you can't give it to someone else either :)).

there was a thread on here a while back (which i can't find for the life of me now) with someone who moved house and they just took their UPC modem with them and plugged it into the existing broadband enabled port (previous tenant had UPC broadband too) at the new place and asked UPC to enable it and they still insisted on sending out an engineer to set everything up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Only got UPC installed last week. The chap that was putting it in told me that the wireless on the cisco wasnt really the best that I could go to any PC and buy a decent one and just use it if I wanted to. Think i will cos this cisco is forking brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

what i found is...

Initial login leave blank.
    You should be presented with a set / change password section.
    Leave the exsisting password field blank (because it is) and type the password that you want it to be going forward and repeat.
    Now when you go to access the modem, leave the username blank and fill in your new password.
    In Setup you'll see all the nice things to play with (IP Assigning, Port Forwarding / Filtering). These are all in the Setup Tab and not the Advanced Tab (seemingly thats for the IP Phone setup only).

It worked for me and i've all my ports nicely forwarded etc... :)

seanybiker wrote: »
    Only got UPC installed last week. The chap that was putting it in told me that the wireless on the cisco wasnt really the best that I could go to any PC World and buy a decent one and just use it if I wanted to. Think i will cos this cisco is forking brutal.
    indeed you can. or online, komplett.ie or whatever techy online store grabs your fancy.

just make sure that it's a generic 'broadband' router and not specifically a DSL one.

some routers are designed for cable connections, some for DSL and some for both, ao just make sure you get the right one.

if I wasn't still using the same linksys routers for the last 4 or 5 years I could probably recommend something new and fancy to you, but unfortunately I am, so i can't as i'm a little rusty in the new router tech department. :)

maybe someone else could give you a recommendation based on their own experiences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Natalia Savory Topaz

Just registered specially to tell you.

With the cisco router, accessible at 192.168.1.1, the login screen-

Leave both fields blank and hit okay. That's the default, no username, no password, simple as that. It'll then ask you to create an administrator password. Don't go buyin a new router. What you have is a good one.

• Advertisement

Just registered specially to tell you.
    maybe you should have read a few more threads before you registered. the broadband forum is full of people complaining about how shit the EPC2425 is and bridging it with a better router so they can get around it.

there's also a post 2 posts above yours telling him how to log into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

I have to agree the cisco (or is it a rebranded linksys? route) is horrible. The wireless signal is bad, the firmware is bad etc.

If you are thinking about getting a new router Smallnetbuilder.com review list may be of assistance to you.

Anyway im also thinking about going for a new router. Was thinking about the wirless N standard. The D-Link Dir-655 seems to be thought of very highly in general. Would the said D-Link be grand to bridge with the Cisco pos?

Anyone know if theres any point in going for a dual band router instead?

before entering a password

passxo.jpg

after pressing cancel

failcr.jpg

sorry about the size of the images, it wont seem to scale with the php code, mod if you could fix them i'd be gratefull.

i cant access any of the tabs on it except for system tab, which displays the mac address and firmware version..

im now even more upset with the Cisco crap. it wont allow streaming from my PC to my xbox. tried it for the first time today since having the modem installed, and my xbox cant pick up the pc, or vice versa. tried every software thing i could find, to no avail. of course, im pretty sure the port is blocked, but i cant open it...

anyone using this same model that got streaming working?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Tea-Bag

What platform and browser are you using?

I am on mac and went through the install last night. Safari wouldn't do the login properly but Firefox would. Once the change password field comes up you can then see a very limited set of options in the Setup tab including an advanced section for port forwarding.

The actual Advanced Tab in the Cisco Router browser is permanently locked and cannot be accessed.

Really weird to have this many restrictions in a router.

Using XP with Opera, but tried with IE 500 odd times too.

Seems the best way to go is to get a seperate router?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

Have you tried pressing the reboot button on the back of the router...This is the factory restore button...I had a problem with accessing the setup page also because when the tech set it up he entered a password so i was unable to access the setup page either...

I was adv to hold down the reboot button which reverts the username and password back to blank fields...

There is also a default SSID and Password so they should be on a sticker underneat if you loose the connection after restoring the factory settings...

Hope this helps...

i reset it after i couldnt connect to it a few days back, so the Pass would have been reset.

customer care says they can access my router fine with admin and the password. none of the 5 laptops/pc in my house can though.

EDIT:

i can access the setup page... finally. i called UPC and told the tech guys to reset my whole modem and password, and a cable guy came a checked just now, even though he wasnt due till late this afternoon, which was nice. seems ok now. still going for a 3rd party router though. UPC man told me that these new Cisco's arent great for using many PC's or anything because it cant handle much traffic, and they're getting complaints from a good few people.

thanks for all the help guys.

Good to see you got it sorted. Seems at odds with all the claims damning their tech support. :)

He said it cant handle a lot of traffic, would that imply that it cant handle the numerous connections in torrents?
    I havent really used torrents much since i connected to UPC but what i have seen of it was fairly crap.

BeansBeans wrote: »
    Good to see you got it sorted. Seems at odds with all the claims damning their tech support. :)

He said it cant handle a lot of traffic, would that imply that it cant handle the numerous connections in torrents?
    I havent really used torrents much since i connected to UPC but what i have seen of it was fairly crap.

That's EXACTLY my problem... it really can't handle alot of traffic! Just craps out and needs to be constantly rebooted!
    I've started another thread (mod's please merge if needs be) to find out what people have replaced their UPC Modem with, or if it even can be done! It's really annoying and wouldn't mind shelling out a few bob for a decent modem especially since i'm actually getting 20+mb connection (downloading at 2.2 - 2.4megabytes a second when i get a connection!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Finally got mine sorted too(for the moment) rang 1550 924 124 and spoke to Alex , at last someone who knows what they are talking about .

sharkman wrote: »
    Finally got mine sorted too(for the moment) rang 1550 924 124 and spoke to Alex , at last someone who knows what they are talking about .

what did you get sorted? is it not crap any more? :P

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

The router I still feel IS crap , but now that he tweeked it at least I can download files and browse at the same time .

sharkman wrote: »
    The router I still feel IS crap , but now that he tweeked it at least I can download files and browse at the same time .

:)

What did you do... I've tweaked like a mad man, but as soon as any downloading starts, I can't browse!! It's madness on a 20mb connection. I mean, It may only be doing a bit of uploading and i can't stream anything it!! ugh!
    Any help, or suggestions as to a replacement would be great!
    Cheers,

That's EXACTLY my problem... it really can't handle alot of traffic! Just craps out and needs to be constantly rebooted!
    I've started another thread (mod's please merge if needs be) to find out what people have replaced their UPC Modem with, or if it even can be done! It's really annoying and wouldn't mind shelling out a few bob for a decent modem especially since i'm actually getting 20+mb connection (downloading at 2.2 - 2.4megabytes a second when i get a connection!)

Oh unfortunately you have to keep the Cisco modem and use it in bridged mode, with a router of your choice. I posted a link to smallnetbuilder reviews page on the previous page of this thread, it may be of help to you if you want to get a decent router.

Oh unfortunately you have to keep the Cisco modem and use it in bridged mode,

How do you put the modem into bridged mode?

bealtine wrote: »
    How do you put the modem into bridged mode?

Im not entirely sure, going on holidays this week so waiting until after that before i order a new router and dongle.

Setup -> Wireless -> Bridging

I have seen a post on here about how to do this im sure at some stage. Although i dont foresee it being too complex.

Its a pity i cant drop the cisco unit completely im really not happy with it.

Sorry i dont want to totally derail this thread but im really curious, anyone know what the XPress and Afterburner technology settings are under
    wireless -> advanced ?

Its a pity i cant drop the cisco unit completely im really not happy with it.

+1
    anyone know what the XPress and Afterburner technology settings are under
    wireless -> advanced ?

id love to know that answer too! ive got my disabled as standard?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    +1

id love to know that answer too! ive got my disabled as standard?

It's (both) a propitiatory standard for extra speed boost over wireless. It's not much use unless you have the right chips in the receiver.

• Advertisement

bealtine wrote: »
    It's (both) a propitiatory standard for extra speed boost over wireless. It's not much use unless you have the right chips in the receiver.

Ah righto thanks, couldnt find anything on google about them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement