Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options
1575859606163»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

23.7°c in Kildare. That was the high yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

What an outstanding day. Went to the beach again today + difference from Saturday was unreal.

Barely a breeze + it was roasting. As my husband said it was as good as being abroad.

Best part is we get to do it all again tomorrow.!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

While not on par with the Summer of 1995, was there a decent period of fine weather in the Summer of 1989? I might be out with the year, but i do remember a summer around that time that had a few weeks of fine weather.

Yes, can't remember when exactly during that summer but was probably the best period of summer weather after 1984 and before 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

While not on par with the Summer of 1995, was there a decent period of fine weather in the Summer of 1989? I might be out with the year, but i do remember a summer around that time that had a few weeks of fine weather.

Yes, it was 1989.

There was a thread on it last year here. Had a cold April but May to July 1989 was excellent. Was similar to 2018 except 2018 was on a more extreme scale.

Summer 1990 wasn't half bad either with a decent July. June was very poor and August had a hot spell at the start for the east with a lot of dry weather thereafter but a tedious month in the wesht.
    Artane2002 wrote: »
    So that means the May max temperature record has been broken? Or maybe I'm mixing it up with something else.

The overall max was 26.8C at Mt. Dillon on 28 May so no record. This makes it the highest May max in the country only since 2017 when Ballyshannon (Donegal) got to 27.2C on May 26th.
    Gonzo wrote: »
    It's been an amazing Spring. Normally Spring and Autumn are my least favourite seasons as I prefer the chances of warm or hot weather in the summer or cold and snowy in the winter. This Spring has been fantastic for so many reasons, particularly off the back of the very wet and miserable Autumn/Winter just gone. The fantastic weather has made the lockdown far more bearable. This Spring also finally broke the trend of unseasonable or crap seasons over the past year. I really disliked 2019 from start to finish, every season was a disappointment with no real cold or properly warm weather.

I've never walked as much as the past 3 months with so much sunshine and most of it unbroken sunshine too. The garden has been getting loads of attention too after being abandoned for the most part of the past year.

This Spring has actually felt better than many of our summers and we've already had warmer days than we ever got last summer. I can't even remember a Spring this sunny or this dry in my lifetime. Temperatures here in the east were fairly average to slightly milder than average most of the time due to the easterly breezes but we have managed to get some warm days, particularly over the past week. I reckon this could have been a once in a lifetime Spring as this one is going to be incredibly tough to beat.

Summer starts tomorrow and the first 2 days of summer will certainly be seasonal. Hopefully the imcoming cold snap won't stick around for the whole of June. I have a feeling the 2nd half of June will be better and with some luck we could get a half decent July and August!

Have to agree with every bit of what you said Gonzo. This spring was a once in a lifetime season. I'd rank this spring above vast majority of summers I've experienced and May 2020 is my all-time favourite month behind only... yeah I'm not going to say it for the thousandth time :)

I'm lost with words really at how exceptional it was. I can't remember going on so many walks either, glad I made the most of it.

If there's once small annoyance I have to say, it was the frequency of easterly winds giving quite a chill. The temperatures didn't bother me too much but just the wind itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭devilabit

A quick calculation of the sunshine hours for Dublin Airport last month but it seems May 2020 was the sunniest ever month since records began for the station. The previous record of 274.3 (August 1995) and the total for May 2020 is 284.3 (note data for the 8th was missing so I just took the data from Casement and rounded it up).

jkaYSR2jbeIRtCYX3A0ZluBxX292NrZ81WeeUN73op7TeRaEeOM-_pTefnbCCWOzIrVaRdiqaUZvrw2mlwsz=w1280-h1306

• Advertisement

devilabit wrote: »
    A quick calculation of the sunshine hours for Dublin Airport last month but it seems May 2020 was the sunniest ever month since records began for the station. The previous record of 274.3 (August 1995) and the total for May 2020 is 284.3 (note data for the 8th was missing so I just took the data from Casement and rounded it up).

It was the sunniest month on record at Casement but sunniest month since July 1955 for the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭devilabit

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It was the sunniest month on record at Casement but sunniest month since July 1955 for the airport.

Ah ok, the data I have (from the CSO dataset) is only since 1958 so I should have noted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Yes, July is on average the month with the highest number of sunny days, but May on average has the highest number of sunshine hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

. It's already cooler here today than compared to yesterday, it's beginning to get cloudy too. Personally i'm not a fan of temperatures creeping into the highs 20's, unless it signals the arrivals of Thunderstorms. I'd be happy with temperatures in the low twenties otherwise

We're all over in Summer now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    May 2020 finished 0.9c above average over the country as a whole.

Some stats (provisional)
    Warmest mean: 13.0c (Shannon)
    Coolest mean: 10.9c (Dublin Apt)
    Highest mean maxima: 18.4c (Mt. Dillon)
    Lowest mean minima: 4.9c (Mt. Dillon)
    Highest daily max: 28.6c (Mt. Dillon
    Lowest daily max: 8.5c (Malin Hd)
    Highest daily min: 15.4 (Valentia)
    Lowest daily min -3.2c (Mt. Dillon / Mullingar)

Data from these lads here:
    https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/daily-data

Just realised that I made a typo in this list. The highest daily max was 26.8 at Mt. Dillon and not 28.6c as stated. Sloppy behaviour, and have given myself 3 lashings on the back as punishment.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ah I told you all it was best spring ever for me! The airport is my local station.

See you all over in the Summer thread.

Stats now in for Spring 2020 and it seems it was the sunniest spring on record for Dublin too as well as being the driest on record.

Dublin Airport recorded 612 hrs during Spring 2020 whilst Casement recorded 608 hrs. That airport total is sunnier than all but 4 summers since 1942.

Sunniest seasons at D.A.

1. Summer 1995 - 680.2 hrs
    2. Summer 1976 - 625.7 hrs
    3. Summer 1959 - 621.8 hrs
    4. Summer 1989 - 614.7 hrs
    5. Spring 2020 - 612 hrs
    6. Summer 1969 - 610.8 hrs
    7. Summer 1968 - 608.3 hrs
    8. Summer 2006 - 608.7 hrs
    9. Summer 1949 - 605.4 hrs
    10. Summer 1975 - 602.0 hrs

In my opinion, if we had the Spring 2020 pattern during the summer season, it would have replicated 1995. Season total not as high as 1995 due to length of day but to come out above all but 4 summers is exceptional.

The "lowest" total for the season (Knock Apt data unavailable) was 530.4 hrs at Valentia Observatory too. Can't say I've seen a "lowest" seasonal total sunshine wise as high as that since Summer 1995..

Full spring 2020 summary here: https://cli.fusio.net/cli/bulletin/data/2020/14/sum_142020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I wish I was old enough to remember 1995 cant imagine it atall. Does anyone know the highest temp recorded for each month of spring summer 95?

US2 wrote: »
    I wish I was old enough to remember 1995 cant imagine it atall. Does anyone know the highest temp recorded for each month of spring summer 95?

March: 17.2C (Oak Park, 31st)
    April: 21.5C (Dungarvan, 1st)
    May: 23.7C (Merrion Square, 4th)
    June: 31.1C (Athy, 29th)
    July: 28.1C (Phoenix Park, 28th)
    August: 31.5C (Oak Park, 2nd)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

US2 wrote: »
    This coming weekend could very easily be our last nice one for the summer. Will be very depressing if I dont get too enjoy a weekend at the beach this year. Thinking of breaking the restrictions,
    Well June looks to be a downer, 2 months to go till your thoughts may be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,738 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Really dark drizzly morning in Dublin. Looks like it will clear up a bit later and get to 19c or so. Looking a bit better for next week too.

Here is the analysis I promised on Spring 2020 in a PDF attached. It is not fully finished but posting it for feedback on how you find it up to now. If you have any suggestions on content to be provided in it, let me know too. I will be updating the report to include climate station data if necessary when that comes in which won't be 'til at least another 6 months minimum I would estimate so for now this is based on the 25 synoptic stations in our network.

One trivia I cannot confirm as of yet is that Phoenix Park's total of 52.6mm during the spring may be the lowest spring total at an Irish synoptic station on record.

Spring 2020 was an exceptional season for Ireland with the Dublin area in particular breaking numerous rainfall and sunshine records. April and May 2020 were the driest 2-month period on record at long-term station Phoenix Park, where records go back to 1837. May 2020 was the sunniest May on record in Dublin and the sunniest of any month since July 1955. Dry spells, absolute droughts and partial droughts were observed with soil moisture deficits in excess of 75mm for quite a wide region by the end of May.

Enjoy your week guys and thanks in advance for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Here is the analysis I promised on Spring 2020 in a PDF attached. It is not fully finished but posting it for feedback on how you find it up to now. If you have any suggestions on content to be provided in it, let me know too. I will be updating the report to include climate station data if necessary when that comes in which won't be 'til at least another 6 months minimum I would estimate so for now this is based on the 25 synoptic stations in our network.

One trivia I cannot confirm as of yet is that Phoenix Park's total of 52.6mm during the spring may be the lowest spring total at an Irish synoptic station on record.

Spring 2020 was an exceptional season for Ireland with the Dublin area in particular breaking numerous rainfall and sunshine records. April and May 2020 were the driest 2-month period on record at long-term station Phoenix Park, where records go back to 1837. May 2020 was the sunniest May on record in Dublin and the sunniest of any month since July 1955. Dry spells, absolute droughts and partial droughts were observed with soil moisture deficits in excess of 75mm for quite a wide region by the end of May.

Terrific Syran. A well written, well researched and nicely detailed report. Exactly how I like it. The first of many I hope.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gorgeous day now in Arklow
    21c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

Excellent work.

The fact that spring 2020 in Dublin was sunnier than every other spring and almost every other SUMMER is remarkable!

But imo it shows why summer 2020 was never gonna be great. Things usually even out...

For update 2.0 here, I have added the following:

- No. of air frosts during spring at all synoptic stations
    - Monthly sun totals during spring at synoptic stations
    - No. of wet days during spring at all synoptic stations

I have also fixed some mistakes and tried to make it look more visually appealing at points, particularly the tables.

Unless there are more suggestions brought forward, this will likely be the last update up until climate station data come in.

Once more, thank you for reading my report on this spring just gone and to those who provided some feedback/suggestions.

Advertisement