Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do we expect from the new Minister for Housing?

Options
13»

Comments

the_syco wrote: »
    The Fair Deal scheme gets X amount from the sale of the house. Who'd look after the tenants should it be rented? The OAP in the home who is there because they can't even look after themselves??????

Look after the tenants? What looking after is needed? Get an agent, easy. Generate rent from the property and give someone somewhere to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

theres about 40 homes in Dublin that I've been involved with that have keypad, fob or fingerprint access for the front door. Its more common than you think, keys are old and dead.

Still no reason key pads can't be registered. i certainly wouldn't have access to my house by keypad only.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Still no reason key pads can't be registered. i certainly wouldn't have access to my house by keypad only.

why should they be registered. Should you have to register what locks are on your door ?

I fail to see the issue with a secure electronic locking system that can't be overridden from outside the front door, which enables audit trailing of everyone in the house, has the ability to add guest access etc.. vs a metal rotating cylinder I can defeat in 30 seconds with a cordless drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

robinbird wrote: »
    Easy solution. Abolish HAP. Use the billion euro a year saved for increased welfare payments and social house building.
    Rents and property prices would collapse.

How about all the people in HAP. Shall we throw all of them out in the street for the next few years as the government start building houses. HAP isn’t an ideal setup but it is there to house people immediately.

why should they be registered. Should you have to register what locks are on your door ?

I fail to see the issue with a secure electronic locking system that can't be overridden from outside the front door, which enables audit trailing of everyone in the house, has the ability to add guest access etc.. vs a metal rotating cylinder I can defeat in 30 seconds with a cordless drill.

The reason for registering is to detect unauthorised short term lettings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭perfectkama

nonsense, but expected here lots of people using them now, newer systems are more affordable "lived in Seoul most people don't have door keys anymore" it doesn't mean your doing STL.
    Maybe have a cc official 24h on every street in the city stopping people or drones?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

A miniscule miniscule problem. You’d waste millions. Youd free up more houses booting out people in houses ‘boyfriends’ not on the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

if we consider housing as a need and can provide basic housing at sensible prices ,make it more like buying a fridge , introduce price controls if necessary, imagine the disposable income available if accommodation was only 10 to 15% of income
    Land, location, building supplies, and labour. Which will you cheap out on to get said cheap housing?
    Look after the tenants? What looking after is needed? Get an agent, easy. Generate rent from the property and give someone somewhere to live.
    Someone has to pay the agent. After the owner has died, the house will be sold to cover the cost of the Fair Deal Scheme. It may be seen as cheaper to leave the house empty rather than risking getting a tenant that won't leave when asked to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It’s one of the stupidities that’s the Fair Deal Schene effectively encourages the property to be left empty as (?)80% of the rental income would have to be paid over which does not leave much to pay tax on said income.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dean3y

When I inquired about acquisition this morning, I was advised by a few housing bodies that they have no requirement for a one-off dwelling at present.

One said that they are inundated with property offers at present.

They didn't request information on the property, it was simply refused.

I thought it was strange.

• Advertisement

A miniscule miniscule problem. You’d waste millions. Youd free up more houses booting out people in houses ‘boyfriends’ not on the books.

It is far from minuscule as demonstrated by the number of vacant apartments in Dublin city centre at the start of the lockdown. Saying that there are other ways of dealing with the problem is no answer. All available methods should be use.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

For example, an offence of having an external key box outside a house unless it is registered. Same for keypad access.

Are you bonkers? So if I want to leave an emergency key at my elderly parents house I need to register it? or just because I am forgetful, and mislay my key. And what about Google doorbells with remote operation? Sure while you’re at it, why not have to register with govt to cut spare keys.

Advertisement