Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PMB Forum Comments & Suggestions

• 18-08-2005 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

If you have any comments, questions or suggestions for this forum please add them here.

Cheers,
    Doctor J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Are we open to technical criticism (potentially leading to discussion or suggestions on recording techniques or musical equipment) or is this stictly about the ultimately more important musical composition?

Lay it out straight for me, Doc. I can take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I think technical comments are quite relevant Eoin, good point. If you feel there is a technical aspect of someone's recordings which either merits attention because it enhances the song or because it kills it, then yes, I think it's perfectly valid. I would hope, though, that such comments would include suggestions perhaps of what could be done to improve things, rather than just "The snare sounds ****" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

On the charter it states this is a forum for pimping your bands music (hence the name, I guess), but can it be used to announce gigs?

Or should we start a thread with our band name as the title, the first post being a link to the website and then subsequent updates to that thread being things like "We're doing a gig on the New Year's Eve, 3017"...?

Yep, start a thread for your band and then pimp away in your own thread. If you want to put a gig in the first link, feel free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

are we allowed to pimp other people's bands that aren't registered on boards ?

• Advertisement

Well the idea was to give Boards users an opportunity to get their stuff across. If the band can't be bothered to participate on Boards and post themselves then why should Boards give them a platform? Personally I'd like to see the people who have posted up stuff giving some of their time to listening to other posters.

That's just my take on it, everybody is free to express what they think on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

ehh, there an american band that probably don't even know what boards is and i just really like them.

Anyway, yeah i get your point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

ehh, there an american band that probably don't even know what boards is and i just really like them.

It's early and I probably should go read the charter, but I reckon that kind of post would be more suited to the Bands / Musicians forum, no?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I think the basic rule is if a member on boards has a band, they post about the band here. If there's a "famous" band, bands/musicians is the place.

Perhaps getting a sticky on the B/M forum about this could be an idea?

Can mods change the title when you're updating your thread eg. New tracks online, Upcoming gig etc?

• Advertisement

We can edit the subject of the first post but it only changes the thread title for a while, then it stops having an effect. Once the thread is a couple of weeks old, I think, changing the thread title in the first post doesn't change the thread title in the forum itself.

If you post updates it'll bring your thread back to the top anyway, and don't be scared to put up gig posts in gigs/events to and link both ways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

I'm not sure whether this should be posted in the systems->feedback forum but i thought it would suit here. I noticed a hack on vbulletin.org that allows an embedded media player in a post. I was wondering if the admins might consider it for this forum, if bands can post a 30sec clip of their debut single (hosted on their own site, of course)

Just a suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Rancidmaniac13

Do threads get deleted often? I expected there to be more than 18 bans in dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Threads get moved off the front page automatically within a set amount of time (a month I think). If you go to the bottom of the Pimp My Band page and change the settings to display threads from a longer time period, you'll see lots more bands :)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Rancidmaniac13

Ah, I see. Thanks...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement